MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12/31/2015

Perma-Banned

12/31/2015

Notified my employer this morning, that 12/31/2015 would be my last day on the job. I will start my retirement on 1/1/2016. I have always taken the last 2wks of Dec off...this time, I will not return... will seem weird. It will have been a long time since I started (early 20's)...I have been blessed to have had this job and for the most part, it has been a pleasant experience. I am sure it's the right thing to do and the right time...just want to make sure that I handle it properly. I want about a month off...to do as I please, then I hope to establish a good balance with my time. I don't want to "not" have something to do and look forward to and this will probably require some planning on my part, but I look forward to working that out. I am 55yrs old and in relatively good health...hope to get to enjoy at least a few of my remaining years.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 10-09-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Great ! Hope you enjoy but you will need a good hobby . Something to keep you off the couch . lol Being retired surly makes hunting season more enjoyable.

Boolit Master

Congrats! Very fortunate that you can retire at that age. Best wishes finding new pursuits. Pretty sure we know part of what you'll be doing as soon as you find more lead.

Today I attended a retirement luncheon for 9 fellow workers that were all forced to retire. Business has been really bad for a year. Eight of the 9 had 35 or more years in the company. The low timer had 30 years in. It was a somber celebration of their service.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Enjoy your retirement hope you can travel and get more shooting time in.

Boolit Master
    I retired a year ago and it don't get no better than this. Congratulations to you and good luck.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

Good luck and congrats!m I'm constantly amazed at how busy some retired folks seem, I think that's important. If possible I'd back it up to the start of hunting season, lol, In my business retirement is not generally an option. I'm your age but have several (God willing) good years left in me and most days I enjoy my work. My investments need a few more years until they can help support me but I live simply so it shouldn't be a big deal.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    You will hear the common "Won't have anything to do..." ****. Been retired for 4 years now and the standard rejoinder is: "I wake up every morning with absolutely nothing to do.... and by dark I'll have about half of it done." The same folks telling the 'boredom' lies are the ones that tried to convince you how terrible the 'empty nest' would be. I recommend expanding old hobbies (like casting) and maybe finding some newer ones. I've decided on small-batch bourbons. Works for me.

Congrats. I hope you do better than you think! I'm guessing I still have another 20 years to go......
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Congrats to you shoot-n-lead! If you are serious about reloading,casting,shooting ect. you will never be bored. I've been "retired" for quite a while now and just don't know how I kept up with all my hobbies and a job to. For me, the hobbies are much more rewarding in life. We will all be on the other side of the grass sooner than we care to think about, so have as much fun as you can.

Boolit Master
    Congrats! I have you beat out by 5yrs. Thought I'd get bored too,but just isn't enough hours in the day it seems. Don't know how I had time to work all those years.

Moderator Emeritus

Pick up a hobby that doubles as a small business! I do as much work as I want on my schedule.

Boolit Master
    I envy you retiree's! I probably have another 20-30yrs to go which would still be an early retirement but my back is going to likely take me out of the game by then, barring some kind of miracle. My back will probably decide for me, when I'm done.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I have four more years to go till I will be 62. I have been thinking of making my last day Dec. 3 2019. That way I will be walking out 40 years to the day.

Boolit Grand Master

Enjoy the retirement. It's been well earned.

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats on setting a retirement day! I have been off since last spring and my official last day at work was Wednesday of last week. My first retirement check arrived on Thursday of last week (10-1). My check for my unused vacation arrived this week. Its not a bad gig!

I don't think you will be bored, there are lots of things to do. Like others have suggested, travel some or do things with the Wife. Expand some of your hobbies and hunt and fish more. Help out with Boy Scouts or the Youth group at Church. Do some home improvements that you did not have time to do when you were working. Some retirees just sit on the couch and die in 6 months, not for me Thanks. What ever you do, Good Luck!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Keep busy! The olde rocking chair has killed more folks that anything else!!!!!! It will definitely be a shock to not go to work.

Trust you have enough financial investments to allow you to live the lifestyle your have been used to. It takes a good sum "in the sock" to do that these daze. The financial experts say it takes a million dollars in investments to retire comfortably today. I know I sure have never planned on SS being there when I retire.

Owning my own engineering firm, I have thought about retiring for the past 15 years!!!!! But I don't.

"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am so far behind.......I will NEVER die!"

Good luck in 2016 and beyond!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    Congrats to you on a retirement at 55 ? Dang I'm jelious. I hope another 5 yrs or so and I should be out too. I'm sure you made a good decision and when next spring comes you will be enjoying the outdoors while the rest of us are dreading going into the job.

Make the best of it and enjoy.

Mike

You will get to wondering how you had time to work and all the other too.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    I envy you retiree's! I probably have another 20-30yrs to go which would still be an early retirement but my back is going to likely take me out of the game by then, barring some kind of miracle. My back will probably decide for me, when I'm done.
    That is my issue also. 55 now but will not make it past next year. Between that and my divorce which should be final next year I will be forced into a very modest life style which I can deal with.

Boolit Master

"I am 55yrs old and in relatively good health...hope to get to enjoy at least a few of my remaining years."

Lord a mercy man! Odds are that you will only have about 30 years to enjoy. I hope you have plenty of hobbies. I hate chores.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.