Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dirt Cheap Home Built Case Feeder

Boolit Master

Well, you can use photobucket or hunt101 and then post the img

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    6bg6ga, Is this the motor you are speaking of?

Attachment 152129

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Torque-...3D161320380766
    It's a good choice! 25 RPM will need a speed control as you stated. You will also need to fashion a shaft with a set screw etc? The motor used in this build has a shaft that accepts a 5mm Allen wrench.

The case feeder needs to run around 7 to 10 RPM (as tested this build drops 48 +/- 2 cases in 2 min). As I stated earlier this build was "dirt cheap" and I had 2 motors sitting on the shelf I also happen to like the fact that they are enclosed in a plastic housing.
    Attachment 152131

I applaud you and others, who are helping to create new options for similar builds and look forward to seeing fresh new clever designs! This is exactly what I wanted this build to do, to me the 150 to 300 $$$ cost of store bought units is crazy and the current crop of DIY builds were just basic copies of the store bought units.
    I bought 2 of the same above 25 RPM motors off ebay to build a case annealer .. I can tell you right away they have very little torque.. slightest pressure and they stop turning
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Let the Up-grades Begin!

So many people asked if I had "Vacuum Formed" the shell plate for the collator, I got to thinking "Can I"? Well here is my 1st attempt at Vacuum forming and it actually turned out pretty good! It's made from 1/8 ABS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABS Plate.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	152522 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st cut.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	152592
    Now to trim and cut the notches!
    Last edited by 44Vaquero; 11-04-2015 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added pic
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Bub
    Another possibility for a motor is the turntable motor out of a microwave, I have one I pulled out of a junker for the same project sometime when I have time. Turns real slow and seems to have quite a bit of torque

Try this AC gear motor from Surplus Center. Its about $10.00

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/...TOR-5-1684.axd

Banned
    The only thing wrong this the above motor is the duty time. Its listed at 1 min.

The motor I listed is currently the one on the parts list circulating out there for this type of annealer. Have you tried it as a collator motor yet? It was a suggestion and not much is lost if it doesn't work. I would hold off until its known for certain that it won't work. A properly setup collator doesn't need a motor that has a lot of torque unless you plan on dumping 4 or 5 hundred cases in at once. I dump in about 100 at a shot in mine.

Banned
    Ebay

motor JGY370 will work and was proven in the crimson bullet collator design.

Boolit Master
    6bg6ga,

Not only is this a proven motor! You left out a very important detail: This motor can be ordered in several different RPM ratings! that is a real plus!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC3V-6V-12V-...uWNpIQ&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by 44Vaquero; 11-05-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: provide link

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    6bg6ga,

Not only is this a proven motor! You left out a very important detail: This motor can be ordered in several different RPM ratings! that is a real plus!

I was looking at a very similar motor to this one today. I like the fact it has a nice flat, then has the shafted threaded for a screw to lock things down.

Here's a link to a to several on ebay at the only RPM the other link doesn't offer (8RPM) I can see. I'm amazed at how many of these cheap chinese motors are up for sale very cheaply shipped directly from China. Gotta give those folks credit, they know how to trade/do business.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+8RPM&_sacat=0

In looking around in the ebay store of the earlier listed, I found these:
    http://stores.ebay.com/WWX-Electroni...sub=7158688015

Those shaft couplers are cheap and would make it real easy to cut off the head of a bolt, insert smooth end into coupler, attach coupler to motor and threaded end of bolt could be used for one of those quick remove plastic wing nuts with brass threaded insert:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Threaded-Kno...kAAOSwd0BV1c13
    Last edited by DaveInFloweryBranchGA; 11-07-2015 at 11:45 PM.

So many people asked if I had "Vacuum Formed" the shell plate for the collator, I got to thinking "Can I"? Well here is my 1st attempt at Vacuum forming and it actually turned out pretty good! It's made from 1/8 ABS.

44, you sucked me in again. Where did you get the plastic and where did you get the vacuum/heat setup? That looks simple, easy and slicker than cat boogers when they got a cold.

Boolit Master
    DaveinFB,

I will try to answer your questions in order:

1/8 ABS from Laired Plastics (can be ordered in 24x24 sheets from on-line supplier)

Vacuum Box is home made 3/4 inch MDF

Vacuum is supplied by the good old Kirby Vac

The kitchen oven provided the heat

(Be prepared to drill lots and lots of holes)

Boolit Bub
    Looks like a good project for my new Dillon 550

44, of course, your answers generated more questions, in red in the quote:

DaveinFB,

I will try to answer your questions in order:

1/8 ABS from Laired Plastics (can be ordered in 24x24 sheets from on-line supplier)
    Found them, thank you.

Vacuum Box is home made 3/4 inch MDF
    Nice and inexpensive. What did you use for dimentions? 2' X 2'?

Vacuum is supplied by the good old Kirby Vac
    Did you find this to be plenty of vacuum? I was looking at using my old shop vacuum. Our house vacuum is a hoover and while it works well, it has quite a bit of age and the exterior cords are worn from my wife rough housing it around. She's non-mechanical and if it gets stuck, her approach is to immediately apply more force.

The kitchen oven provided the heat
    Lovely thing about that, the kitchen oven is already paid for, don't have to buy another. What problems can you run into with using the kitchen oven? How long does the plastic need to be heated for good molding results?

(Be prepared to drill lots and lots of holes)
    For the vacuum lid box? Is pegboard a bad idea? Or?

Banned
    6bg6ga,

Yes, I left out the important details about motor voltage and speed. I figured that those that could read would be amazed with the different speeds available.

Banned

Very nicely done

Boolit Master
    Davein FB,

The box I built is only 12x12x4 inches

A shop should provide more than enough vacuum (that's what most people use) I have an actual 2 cyl vacuum pump but it would require heat during use since it's volume is much smaller?

This disk was formed after 15 min @ 340 deg, I may need to be a little warmer? Further testing is required.

I actually drilled the holes in my disk form as mounted to the vacuum box. I have a frame assembly that holds the ABS in place in the oven and allows easy pick up for transfer to the Vacuum form. The frame is not removed until the ABS is cool to the touch.

Peg-board not so much! If you were making a sanding table sure. Forming 1/8 ABS appears to need holes in the actual form itself near any indention's and or rises in the surface features of the pattern?

44, more questions/comments in red:

Davein FB,

The box I built is only 12x12x4 inches
    When I read this, I immediately realized this reduces the amount of surface area to suction, thereby reduces the amount of needed vacuum.

A shop should provide more than enough vacuum (that's what most people use) I have an actual 2 cyl vacuum pump but it would require heat during use since it's volume is much smaller?
    I actually have two shop vacs, a big one and a small hand carry job. I think I'll try both at some point and report back when I have results.

This disk was formed after 15 min @ 340 deg, I may need to be a little warmer? Further testing is required.
    Looked good to me, ready to trim. Was the plastic sagging? I've done some internet research on youtube and haven't really seen any clear "use this time/heat combo" information yet. Please keep us posted, I'm interested.

I actually drilled the holes in my disk form as mounted to the vacuum box. I have a frame assembly that holds the ABS in place in the oven and allows easy pick up for transfer to the Vacuum form. The frame is not removed until the ABS is cool to the touch.
    Can you take some pictures? I'm having trouble clearly visualizing.

Peg-board not so much! If you were making a sanding table sure. Forming 1/8 ABS appears to need holes in the actual form itself near any indention's and or rises in the surface features of the pattern?
    What size where the holes you made near the surface features on the pattern and how many? Perhaps more, of a small size, might work better?

Boolit Master
    I used a 7/64 drill bit.

Yes, the plastic will sag.

It's not so much the surface area as it is the cubic inches in the box that need to be evacuated in order provide suction at the holes? Bigger equals faster rise to vacuum.

Name:	finished!.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	152714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	152715
    I cut the ABS in squares and mount it in the round frame for heating and forming and trim the excess ltr.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    I was looking at a very similar motor to this one today. I like the fact it has a nice flat, then has the shafted threaded for a screw to lock things down.

Here's a link to a to several on ebay at the only RPM the other link doesn't offer (8RPM) I can see. I'm amazed at how many of these cheap chinese motors are not up for sale very cheaply shipped directly from China. Gotta give those folks credit, they know how to trade/do business.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+8RPM&_sacat=0

In looking around in the ebay store of the earlier listed, I found these:
    http://stores.ebay.com/WWX-Electroni...sub=7158688015

Those shaft couplers are cheap and would make it real easy to cut off the head of a bolt, insert smooth end into coupler, attach coupler to motor and threaded end of bolt could be used for one of those quick remove plastic wing nuts with brass threaded insert:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Threaded-Kno...kAAOSwd0BV1c13
    I ordered a 12vdc 10 RPM motor that I will use with a speed controller. Other collators I have build seem to be in need of some control because different sized cases need different rpm's in order to effectively fill my drop tube. This motor is a lot nicer and easier to use that the motor I purchased a few years ago.

The threaded knobs and the couplers will bring any diy bult to a hiigher platoe.

Boolit Master
    I will be making these available for sale! They are designed to fit inside a 2 gallon bucket sold by Home Depot. 5.56 is the 1st other sizes will follow shortly.

$16.00 +S&H Includes a back plate, spacer disk and vacuum molded shell plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rmXH8rVzvE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast