Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 200 grain for 9mm, 9mm largo, 38 super, or 9x23?

200 grain for 9mm, 9mm largo, 38 super, or 9x23?

I was thinking about the old british 38/200 load. This round routinely performed better on flesh than paper.

I carry a Tokarev, in 7.62x25 and am very happy with it's performance with the PPU JHPs.

I have some extra barrels in 9mm bore that can easily be chambered for 9mm largo, 9x23, 38 super.

So if I wanted to load a max weight cast boolit and drive it at moderate speeds, what are my options?

Load a really long nose in a 9x19 case?
    Use 9mm largo cases? Or 38 super?

How do I overcome internal case taper?

Groo here
    158 or 160 is about the limit in a 38 super.
    For the shorter cases lighter/shorter bullets are needed.
    To overcome the internal taper you will need a boat tail bullet or a double ended one [like rn on one end and tc on the other with the driving band in the
    middle]
    Even the long cases are shorter than the 38special and the mag sets the oal limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    ...and the mag sets the oal limit.

The Tokarev mag can swallow about 1.4" OAL

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I load the Accurate 36-155D bullet in the 9mm and my friend in Italy also uses it in his 9x21.
    You can tweak the diameters when ordering a mold to fit your barrel.

Attachment 150749

The 9x23 would be a good conversion for a TOK and would give you a strong case with a bit more powder capacity.

The 36-178D has a longer nose and is intended for revolver use, but at 1.32" OAL in a 9x23mm case should fit in your magazine, depending upon the front radius of the magazine box to clear the nose of the bullet.

Attachment 150750
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-08-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banner Sponsor

I've thought about loading 180s in the 9mm Largo, but havn't done anything with it yet.
    A place to start might be to cut some cases in half and see just how deep you could go on each one. Or get a case in each caliber, then seat bullets deaper and deaper until the case starts to expand. Take that info with your 1.4" length and see how long of a bullet would fit.
    Then look to Quickload for a place to start with powder charges.
    If you could get 180s to fit, they might be able to go 1100fps @ 30kpsi, or 200's @ 1000fps in the same pressure range
    Last edited by lar45; 10-09-2015 at 12:39 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    FWIW, my NEI #169A bullet that duplicates the form and weight of the 38 S&W 200 grain RN is .810" long--has a drive band/lube groove arrangement designed around seating in a 38 S&W casing (.775" vs. the 9mm's .754"), and the nose's ogive form corresponds somewhat to that of an autopistol round nose shape. I don't have access to samples that I could send you, unfortunately--but NEI Handtools' website might have a drawing or even critical dimensions listed. If you have 1.4" of mag space......total of case length plus bullet length is 1.564"......OAL at 1.400" = 0.114" seat depth. Might work!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Bub
    I have loaded 158 grain RNL in a 9x19 case. There were loads given in the Lyman #45 manual (I think) and I tried them.
    I have loaded 158 grain RNL in Super .38. Seems to like 2400 powder.

One of the problems is the length of the bullet. This crowds the powder chamber and makes fitting into a magazine (and through the action) more difficult. Typical rifle bullets of 180 or 200 grains have rather long ogives which make the bullet longer than a flat-ended cylinder would be. The shortest possible 200 grain bullet would be flat based (not going for long distance like a rifle, right?) with a slight taper on the bottom to fit into the internal taper of the case. The front end needs be as wide as possible (to save length) without engaging the rifling for easy chambering and unloading; and very flat fronted.

Truthfully, I don't think one can '... get there from here' with 9x19 or Super cases.

I have worked with 147 grain jacketed bullets in the Super .38 and of the opinion one can get some serious velocity from them.

Actually, I wish you well. I'm a heavy bullet adherent, having read a lot of Elmer Keith in my younger days. I like the idea of a big, heavy, as wide as possible, flat meplat bullet at whatever one can achieve safely. Probably easier in a revolver because the bullet can hang out the front of the case and is only limited by the cylinder length.
    Go peacefully; teach the ignorant, comfort the distressed. Always be kind. Wear clean underwear and carry a gun.

Search for Clark's posts on this and other forums about 158s in 9x23 Win. in Tok pistols. He worked his way up to . . . pioneering . . . compressed loads of Power Pistol, while monitoring for extractor groove expansion. That's not 200gr data, but indicates it can safely be worked up. The Tok magazine provides length, and the pistol is . . . I don't want to say indestructible, but Clark couldn't kb Toks with Power Pistol. If you can shoot 200s from a .38 S&W at a COAL of 1.240", you can surely shoot them from pretty much the strongest pistol case ever (9x23Win) in one of the strongest auto pistols ever, at a COAL of 1.360".

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    As FYI, in the .38 S&W, aka Colt New Police, for use in a 1930-vintage Police Positive, NOT the Special, but the Jimmy Cagney model brandished in the 1931 Warner Brothers gangster flick Public Enemy, I load 5.6 grains of Alliant #2400 with the Accurate 36-201D ogival wadcutter, for 700 fps. Does shoot high to the fixed sights, so my preferred load is the 36-155D hollowpointed to 146 grains, with 2.7 grains of Bullseye for 785 fps from a 4" barrel. Gun has 0.005" cylinder gap.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

This is the longest and heaviest boolit I have been able to get to work really well in the 9mm luger cartridge.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...2m928v6kimle06
    The hollow point version weighs 147 grains(nominal).
    This was designed from the ground up for the 9x19 and works quite well. I have shot it in 3 different 9mm pistols with excellent results. I am running it at about 850-875 fps. If you are looking for a 17 round capacity 38 special, this will fill the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    As FYI, in the .38 S&W, aka Colt New Police, for use in a 1930-vintage Police Positive, NOT the Special, but the Jimmy Cagney model brandished in the 1931 Warner Brothers gangster flick Public Enemy, I load 5.6 grains of Alliant #2400 with the Accurate 36-201D ogival wadcutter, for 700 fps. Does shoot high to the fixed sights, so my preferred load is the 36-155D hollowpointed to 146 grains, with 2.7 grains of Bullseye for 785 fps from a 4" barrel. Gun has 0.005" cylinder gap.
    700 fps, that's the sort of velocities I was thinking of.

I shoot 147gr lyman and have good turn out on it.That is sofar the biggest i shot in 9mm luger.I shoot it in 4 of my 9mm lugers and they are all differnet and do good with that round.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Not much to the OP but I too have used the 147. Well over 100K rounds in my Glock at about 900 fps and I love them. Not cast by me but commercially.

I have pushed 147's out of 9x19 over 1100 fps making major power factor.

The heaviest loading I know of was for Navy Seal S&W 9mm pistol during Vietnam - this was subsonic loading for Subsonic shooting thru "Hush Puppy" suppressors. As stated in Paulson's book on Suppressor History they resized Sierra .38 170 grn FMJ to .355 and seated them in 9x19 brass.

Mark 22 Mod 0 with Mk 3 Suppressor.
    Issued Special Mk 144 158-grain green-tipped FMJ rounds were issued with each gun. These superfat 9mm rounds with Super Vel headstamps traveled at subsonic (less than 900fps) speed to not produce a ‘crack’ breaking the sound barrier. The 170 grain load tended to crack the slides at the slide lock notch so were abandoned.
    Last edited by Artful; 10-19-2015 at 10:44 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I have pushed 147's out of 9x19 over 1100 fps making major power factor.
    The current law enforcement love affair with the 9mm x 147 grain JHP "Sub-Sonic" loading--which run about 950 FPS from most pistol-length barrels--serves a different agenda than maximizing projected energy downrange. As you allude to, the sub-sonics are about a 15%-20% underload from the caliber's potential capability. The Jello Shooter Cadre touts these loads as The Bestest Ever Birthed, with their 38 Special ballistics and alleged Controlled Expansion Bullet Construction that produces such nice flower petals after perfect penetration......in laboratories. By circuitous palavering, Dr. Fackler and FBI created a refried 38 Special, for a self-loading platform, that can hopefully be easily controlled by the majority of LE shooters while stopping goblins when the shooter hits the target. This "improvement" is a lot more about improving hit rates than improving ballistic performance, but the lab dudes and FBI leave that unsaid. In the real world, the 9mm is a mid-point between the 38 Special and 357 Magnum, and it seems a reckless waste of potential to down-load it. We compound the error by then touting such loadings as Best Ever while carrying them in harm's way. The load's ballistics revolve around suppressor usage in SMGs--it was optimized for this purpose. We are kidding ourselves to allege otherwise. The handgun is already a severe compromise between portability and ballistic projection, one that favors the former factor significantly. In good faith I cannot recommend the use of adulterated loadings in harm's way to others without being truthful about the load's capabilities.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 10-19-2015 at 09:38 AM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for your observations tazman and 9.3x62AL, it's nice to finally hear someone call a 38 Special load a 38 Special. At least they give you a 19 shot 38 Special.

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    Thanks for your observations tazman and 9.3x62AL, it's nice to finally hear someone call a 38 Special load a 38 Special. At least they give you a 19 shot 38 Special.
    That and the fact that it shoots well in my pistols is why I shoot that boolit. I have no reservations about the 38 special for my uses.

The load's ballistics revolve around suppressor usage in SMGs--it was optimized for this purpose.
    For most suppressed SMG use I use 147's loaded subsonic. The only exception is the MP5 SD, the ported barrel bleeds off too much gas and they won't run right with the powders I use, unless you run lighter bullets (with more powder).

Quote Originally Posted by preparehandbook View Post
    700 fps, that's the sort of velocities I was thinking of.
    IMI makes a standard pressure 158gr 9mm load that does 950fps from a pistol and Freedom Munitions offers a 165gr standard pressure 9mm at about the same velocity I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9CGuEJGLUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYYtNfwGSQ
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast