Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 456-200 Kaido Ojamaa 220gr Universal bullet

Boolit Master

Lee 456-200 Kaido Ojamaa 220gr Universal bullet

I bought this mold and thought I'd put up a quick, initial review of it.

This is the 220gr weight. I purchased it for my Ruger Old Army. It has been designed for percussion revolvers and has smaller bands at the base to make seating easier.

It casts super nicely, the best of any Lee mold I've used. The bullets fall from the mold with out necessitation of the tapper.

Itll be a month or so before I have time to shoot, so here are the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    The smaller bullets in the pic of the pile are LBT 358-180 WFN (my for sure mold if I'm running aluminum molds for a session)

Boolit Master
    Where in the world did you find that? Is Lee selling them now?

Fly

Did Kaido say that these will work in the ROA? I have his 240 grain and .36 caliber 144 grain molds and they are simply superb in every way. On the Pietta Remington, they must be loaded off the gun unless one modifies the opening, hence why he developed the 220gr. How much do the 220s weigh after they drop from the mold?
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Master
    I bought it from Kaido, he had a custom run in 220, 240 and 255. He's out of the 255gr mold but has the others and the 36 cal in stock, I believe.

And yes, it is for the Old Army, I talked to him on the phone about the molds.
    The drop 219-222gr from the 8-10 I weighed

very nice mold

Regardless of the weight, these are proven killers on big game. In my testing, they are as accurate as round ball too. Enjoy!
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Kaido's bullets are the absolute best, hardest hitting, deepest penetrating and accurate projectile made today for black powder firearms bar non. I have had the privilege of hunting wild hogs several times with Mr. Kaido Ojamaa and I have seen first hand what his projectiles can do to big mean hogs. If anyone has ever hunted the beasties then you know how tough they can be to put down. I witnessed Kaido stop a 125lb wild hog that charged us with a single shot out of his 1858 dropping the hog quickly with complete pass through penetration with just 25gr of Triple 7 behind his projectile. On another hunt he dropped a 300+ wild Eurasia boar and a 250b razorback with his projectile and 25gr of Triple 7 3fg out of his modified 1860 revolver. I was hunting with a 45 Ruger Blackhawk slinging 260gr bullets at 1350fps and tell you that Kaido's black powder 1860 and his bullets did the same job on these hogs as my magnumized 45 Colt loads. Hovey Smith achieved close to 600 fpe out of his Ruger Old Army loaded wit 35gr of Triple 7 and Kaido's 240gr bullet and successfully harvested deer and hogs with Kaido's bullet. I myself have used his projectiles in a sabot with my 50 cal pistols and rifles stuffed with generous loads of Triple 7 and have achieved tremendous accuracy and power that I was never to reach before.

If you are serious about hunting big dangerous game with a black powder handgun or rifle, do yourself a favor and buy the best that is available today, made for hunters by a hunter and field proven time and time again. Triple 7 and Kaido's bullets have propelled percussion revolvers to magnum like performance.

Keep you eyes peeled for an upcoming hog hunt that will be video taped to show the world how powerful Kaido's bullets and custom revolvers truly are. My advice to all, buy the molds NOW if you are seriously thinking of hunting with your black powder guns, you won't regret it.
    Last edited by bp hunter; 10-08-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info bp hunter, welcome to the forum btw.

I sent Kaido an email inviting him to join this forum, as I'm sure he can answer questions about his molds/bullets better than anyone else.

Boolit Master
    I have sent some of these bullets out for testing, I hope we'll get some feedback on these in the next few weeks.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    Curious what testing you are having done.

Boolit Master
    Testing how they load and shoot from an Old Army

Boolit Master
    What's the charge, powder, and granulation?

I had bought some of his 240 grn version and used them in my Ruger. My loads of 3F Triple 7 were stout enough that I often had a bullet or two walk out of the chamber far enough bind it.

I tried buying a mold but he never had them and Lee kept putting him off so I went to Accurate Molds and created my own.

Boolit Master
    We'll have to wait for the guys shooting them to chime in. I won't have time for 4-5 weeks to shoot any myself.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	150872456-200 next to Speer .457 round ball for comparison

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	121 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	150873Click image for larger version. 

Views:	147 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	150874Pic of bullet sitting on face of cylinder and pic of bullet ready to be seated

Boolit Master
    Ya I had the same problem with the heavy bullets. I think 220 grain is the most I would ever shoot in a standard
    pietta. Dragoon, that's a different cat.
    Fly

Boolit Master
    Here's a pic (L to R) of my 285 grn WFN, 195 grn WFN (.460" long so as not to take up powder capacity), a .457" cast ball, and my 170 grn WFN (.400" long).

The lighter two ought to do well in a slow twist pistol I'd think. Both of mine are 1:16" and they do quite well.

Boolit Master

I talk to Kaido every few months, just to BS. He had the 220 and the smaller 36 caliber last time we talked. He doesn't have these made in huge batches, so buy them when you can. I shoot mostly Piettas when I do C&B so I haven't bought any of his moulds yet.For CAS shooting I just do balls, we don't have to kill the target! But for hunting these seem to work very well. I watched the aforementioned video of him shooting wild pigs, pretty impressive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Ya I had the same problem with the heavy bullets. I think 220 grain is the most I would ever shoot in a standard
    pietta. Dragoon, that's a different cat.
    Fly
    what problem is that? I was showing how much they'll sit down into the chamber, looks like seating them should be pretty easy even with the extra tin I threw in to get the bullets to fill out nicely

Boolit Master
    Are you saying those bullets cast from his mold won't work in Piettas?

Fly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast