Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felt?

Boolit Master

Felt?

I have bought felt from the lady in Ark before. But I can't for the life of me remember the name of her
    business. Some one here surly knows.

Fly~

Boolit Master
    Durofelt

Boolit Master
    That's it. I knew some one here had bought from her. Very nice lady & very helpful also. Thanks bud!

Fly

Boolit Master
    Indeed she is. And her prices are great!

Ive been thinking of trying other felts as filler.

Boolit Master

For those unfamiliar with her/their products -
    http://www.durofelt.com/products.html
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    I bought a 3/8" punch to make my own greased wads for use in a .36 cap-and-ball revolver, but I'm perplexed as to which grade of felt to use. Can anybody make a recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    I bought a 3/8" punch to make my own greased wads for use in a .36 cap-and-ball revolver, but I'm perplexed as to which grade of felt to use. Can anybody make a recommendation?
    This is what you want: http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

Boolit Master
    Funny you ask. The first time I called her I did not know which felt to buy. She has all kinds.
    Any way she ask what I was going to do with it. I told her & she said OK I know what you need.
    Very nice lady.
    Fly

Boolit Mold
    What is a good tool to use for cutting wads for .45 and.50?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Thank you! I just ordered some of that.

As for wad punches, Track of the Wolf has .45's and .50's in stock for 20-couple bucks.

Boolit Master

To punch out a lot of wads I made a press mounted die from a piece of 7/8-14 threaded rod and a steel punch. Its a lot easier on old hands than a hammer and punch.

Quote Originally Posted by EricinFla View Post
    What is a good tool to use for cutting wads for .45 and.50?
    You may want to consider an arch punch, especially an Osborne rather than a General Tool: http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-S-Osborne-...item43de490410

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I know a lot of folks like to use the felt wads - either store bought or ones they make themselves. I used to do the same thing. I've been shooting .36 Navies for 50 years and a few years ago decided to try something else for wads. I do leatherwork so have scraps. I use a 3/8" (.375) punch and punch mine out of leather that is around 1/8" thick - all depends on what I have on hand. My BP lube (been using it for 50 years as well) I make out of a pound of Crisco and one beeswax (real beeswax) toilet bowl ring - melt together and mix in a tupperware bowl in the microwave. I take the leather wads - toss them in the melted lube and then pick them out with tweezers and put them on a couple of layers of paper towel - pat them with paper towel to get excess lube off and then let them harden. I toss them in an empty Altoids tin can and keep them in my shooting box. They work great out of all of my .36 Navies. The grease swells them up so they go in the chambers tight over the powder. Not a thing wrong with the store bought or do it yourself felt - just another alternative. I was out shooting my '51 Uberti this afternoon and using the leather wads - noticed it's almost time to make more!

Thumbs up

bbb, That's a great idea! I'm going to look around for a worn out (or too small, LOL!) leather belt to experiment with.

Boolit Master
    Ya it does sound like a neat way. I just do not have leather.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    You may want to consider an arch punch, especially an Osborne rather than a General Tool: http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-S-Osborne-...item43de490410
    The ones ToW sells are Osborne arch punches too, and their .375 and .50 punches I'm sure are standard 3/8" and 1/2" punches. I do know they sell an Osborne punch in .45 diameter which they recommend for .44 C&B revolvers and .45 BPCF cartridges.

For cutting out 44 cal wads I just chuck a 5/16 hole punch into my drill press and punch them out over a piece of hardwood. I did take a Dremel and smoothed out the step in the hole through the punch so the wads would come out the side.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    To punch out a lot of wads I made a press mounted die from a piece of 7/8-14 threaded rod and a steel punch. Its a lot easier on old hands than a hammer and punch.
    If you make it from hardenable rod, or from an old reloading die, you can use a soft metal or plastic pad on top of the ram, and have the die hollow all the way through, so that it spits the wads out of the top.

A lot of commercial punches for leather etc. are actually intended to produce holes, so the bore of the punch may be tapered or rough, and it is hard to get several wads out in good shape.

Boolit Master

I use the ToW punches too. Works real good using a scrap end piece of 4X6 timber. Mine is long enough to set on the floor tap the wads out sitting on a stool. Don't try to use any but the end grain.

I'm old too but usually quit from boredom before fatigue takes over.

I don't know where or who suggested it but I originally tried punching out wads and then putting them in the lube. To me that was more work than I wanted to do. Following the suggestion, I cut a large(to fit a cheap aluminum pan) square of felt, poured the melted lube over it to just soak, took it out and let it harden on a piece of waxed paper. Then punch out the wads. Works better for me.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I have taken a ole .45 brass case & removed primer & drilled a 1/4 or so hole in that end. I spin
    it in the drill press & use wood below & cut them out. When the case get full I take it out & push the wads
    out with a 1/4 rod. A longer peace of tube works also.

Fly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast