RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marines

Boolit Master
    In College we in the Engineering School used the phrase.

Time Passes, Do You.

Devote a lot of time to study and you will pass.

Boolit Master
    I'm a retired Doggie (Army) senior NCO, and I have to agree with everyone who has said that going in as an officer is a whole lot better than going in as enlisted. Something to think about when you're out in the rain/snow/wind/cold on feces burning detail out in the desert somewhere, while the officers are in a dry, warm tent drinking coffee.
    Last edited by nicholst55; 10-09-2015 at 08:52 PM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

This is a very interesting thread for an outsider like me. One thing specially caught my eye: The officers in US Army, Navy, Air force or Marines don't go to the boot camp??

Banned

I could care less, any Marine has gone through hell to be the best of the best. But the army is also tough and the air force is our friend. I don't care if you are national guard or coast guard.
    You want tough, become a Seal, a Ranger or sniper.
    That is half what a Russian Spetsnats does. They are an inch from death in training.
    Most fail Seal training but a Seal will cry to mamma when he meets Russians.

Boolit Master
    You still have time to do your research and get advice. You have gotten a lot of good advice already, so please don't ignore it. My time in was as a Navy Corpsman (FMF) and other than boot camp and basic Corps School, the rest of my time was with Marines. I wouldn't change it, but remember that if you get injured, the politicians will sweep you under the rug and do their best to forget you. So do it because you want to, not for a paycheck or any recognition.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    This is a very interesting thread for an outsider like me. One thing specially caught my eye: The officers in US Army, Navy, Air force or Marines don't go to the boot camp??
    Officers attend boot camp - with other officers.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    It's not just the shooting you need to focus on. You need to focus on physical fitness and mental conditioning as well.
    I have been focusing on physical fitness for a little while now. Im gettin there!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    I have been focusing on physical fitness for a little while now. Im gettin there!
    Concentrate on upper body strength (push-ups, especially), and cardio. Also remember to keep a positive attitude when the time comes, and don't be a smart-***! Do what you're told and don't ask unnecessary questions.

Boolit Master
    Mauser48, on a positive note, your age means you may have the opportunity to serve under a Commander In Chief that actually respects the military.

You may want to ask your local recruiter if the NROTC scholarship program still exists. High ASVAB, SAT, and grades, along with a fair athletic record and a good interview got me a full scholarship from '82 to '86 when I got my Underwater Basket Weaving degree and went off as a newly commissioned Second Lieutenant. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have had the taxpayers buy me an engineering degree. It would have been much more applicable in my current occupation.

Start getting in great physical shape now. Basic military training really tests one's physical and mental endurance. If you're not overburdened by the physical aspect, it leaves you with a lot more energy to deal with the mental aspect.

Be advised, military service will make a mark on you. I wish you the very best. Semper Fi.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Banned

Our military has the smartest ever in history. A grunt today is a hundred steps above the president.
    But it is true the gov will not treat you right.
    You will have pride and self confidence, able to do anything and all of us will respect you forever.
    A Marine will always be a Marine, so will an army guy. Best days of my life.
    My President will always be President Bush, never the creep in office now. Sick Muslim ***.
    Russia has moved in but things have been lost. Arrest Assad for crimes and put a Russian general in charge. Make piece with rebels and go after Isis and terrorists. Putin sticks his finger in Obumblers eye. Rebels have turned over millions of our equipment to terrorists.
    Putin for President? Better then our liar in chief.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Safeshot View Post
    Go to College, major in engineering (your choice of field), enroll in ROTC, graduate, get your commission as an officer upon graduation. Follow the "Yellow Brick Road". If you get a part time job in College, get one "IN YOUR FIELD OF STUDY". Gain experience, don't "kill time".

Work study in your field of experience could be the item that makes you a better choice than your competition!

Boolit Master

Mauser48, I know a young man who is currently in his MOS school. Apparently your generation is in terrible physical condition, because the recruiters ran weekly PT sessions before anybody left for Parris Island. You would be well advised to get ahead of that curve. As others said, high ASVAB scores are the key to certain MOS.

Now here's a sea story for you. A friend's son enlisted in the AF. Everybody loves to make fun of them because Air Force. Anyway, he's an IT guy, I think around E5/E6 right now. He got the coolest TDY I ever heard of. McDill AFB with housing allowance, so he took over a beach condo from another dude who was leaving. They gave him a rental car as well. Works indoors in AC. That's as good a gig as you can get in the military.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

ASVAB test? So that's what they called it. I was chastised for saying once that I was smart enough to land in The Pentagon in a cushy office job when most everyone else got shipped to Viet Nam.

Ah well, it is what it is.

Mauser48, study hard!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Buddy
    If I had to do it again ?? I would not have ASKED for 0351, would have gone into aircraft mechs. would have a VERY good job now. after burning poo and raking sand, arranging rocks, digging holes in sand that never stops...no sleep, little or bad food, stupid people in charge that in most cases can't make it in the real world after 20+ years, NOPE would go Coast Guard knowing what I know now....

I think what really set it all off was when an O3 ( Officer) combat engineer almost blew up my section I realize "these people are going to get me killed during PEACE TIME" !!there is a reason the line is 'that' long one the bangalore clicker...watched too many dumb games being played and always had to think "we are the best??" wow. 4 years- 0351 Tank killer- I shot expert, big deal, can you run 3 miles in 18 minutes or less, more like 14-15?? NO.??...go run some more. then for fun load up a 90 pound ALICE pack with lead or rocks or sand and go find some hills - big hills step as hell like the steepest staircase you ever saw with short step, not big enough for your foot, then some deep soft sand, and small round river rocks , go 'walking' on all these places , get a buddy on a bike to yell at you for the entire time you run at full speed, for at least 9 miles to get warmed up, dig a fox hole- fighting hole , sleep there over night for 5 days with 2 days worth of water and 1.5 days worth of food, during the most hot- humid and / or coldest days you live in.

IF you like that then you may like being an 03xx

Other wise go to College, get your degree, do ROTC. Join Army if you want promotion ever or want the sign up bonus... My cousin made Capt. in 2 years from Day1- he does Finance, will see Col. well before his 20 and NEVER get shot at- except in work place violence. episode ..

After a while I got to work with S3 Office, they say H&S Co. gets it easy, right!! while all the other Marines where off we still pulled duty to get ready for the Next field op.

The joke was , grunts make the best janitors !! we sweep , swab, wipe, wash, clean , scrape all day, we live in places that would not be used for public "free" housing. We used gear that was older than some of the guys there..

Yes , I would not do it again, but am Darn proud I did it. Had to prove to my self I was tough enough- THAT IS DUMB!!
    Dad was Army, Uncle Corpsman, cousin army, Grand dad- B17 pilot, Great Uncle Jack almost 27 years navy, so it was a family thing, plus I like a good fight.

we, Marines go to war to kill people and blow up stuff, and kill more people and blow up more stuff oh and try not to DIE or get hurt-
    Your head will be messed up and NO ONE the never served will get you!!!! If you join for any reason other than you will not like it one bit. DO NOT TELL recruiter 'that' or you will be deemed TOO crazy... you want a skill or job later on that is not PULLING A TRIGGER join the Navy, Coast Guard , Army- work on drones, air craft, electronics etc.... hell go reserve and do school get the degree. Then you will have a taste, a tease and the brains to decide better what you want to do.

Banned
    Ah come on guys. Once you make NCO there isn't any sh.. burning details & by the time you make Staff that "nice tent" isn't far away & one of them has your name on it. I also remember the zeros humping those same hills & swamps & getting their azs shot off just like us. Besides, my parents were married & knocking that ring didn't impress me at all.

ps: if your an 0311 today in combat, your the one who gets to grease the ragheads & get some payback. All I got was zips & I didn't have anything against them until them started shooting at me - in their country.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I'm a retired Doggie (Army) senior NCO, and I have to agree with everyone who has said that going in as an officer is a whole lot better than going in as enlisted. Something to think about when you're out in the rain/snow/wind/cold on feces burning detail out in the desert somewhere, while the officers are in a dry, warm tent drinking coffee.
    Not when I was in. When in the field our officers were no better off then we enlisted, no officer eat before an enlisted, if for some reason they needed to eat before even a private they had to ask the enlisted for permission before they could cut into an enlisted chow line. Our officers always saw to it that the enlisted were taken care of first, on base a little different but not in the field. When we trained with other branches, they almost always were amazed that our officers always saw to the comfort and well being of the enlisted before themselves

Love Life
    I never did have an officer on fire watch...

Enlisted life isn't tough if are mentally strong and don't hold grudges. A big complaint in the Corps now is "How we junior Marines are treated" according to a recently released study. Better whip out your straw and suck it up. If you aint 'bout that life, better seek employment elsewhere.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123