Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Bought a Lyman 358495 mold

Bought a Lyman 358495 mold

Bought this mold on fleabay. Great shape though and a good price, I thought. $25.00 . Now I need a good wadcutter load if anyone out there has one. Also, how hard should my alloy be ? The Cast Bullet Handbook only list linotype . I know I don't need anything that hard for 750 - 800 fps.
    Got lucky on a set of handles. I have a old Lyman 224, 45 gr mold I got in a box of auction sale junk, I guess for Hornet boolits. Fit the 358 mold perfect.

Lots of good loads out there for that boolit. One of my favorite is 3.0 grains of Bullseye in a 38 special case. It works in all my revolvers.
    If you have other powders, you need to check the manufacturers data site. They pretty much all give load data for wadcutters.

Tried out the mold today. Took longer to get it up to temp. than my Lee mold's. When it got hot it made some nice boolits. .360 out of the mold. Cast 8 or 900 this afternoon. I had some ww ingots, I had traded for, that were 9 bhn. Didn't mix anything with it and the fill out was great. Now to find a load for item.

Here is the page from the Lyman 49th handbook for the 358091 which is about 5 grains heavier than your boolit. All the loads listed should be safe with your boolit.
    For target use, I would stick with the starting loads or just slightly heavier. They should shoot great and your gun should last forever.
    Attachment 150696

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot Titegroup and start my load out at 3 grains and work up till the case seals and does not smoke the brass. Usually 3.3 is where I stop or will go 3.5 if I will be shooting in weather less than 50 degrees. I did the same when I used Bullseye.

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot over 80,000 similar boolits back in my PPC days using 2.8 grains of Red Dot or Bullseye, but I've since learned that a little heavier powder charge actually gives a slightly better group. 3.0 grains of Bullseye or 3.3 grains of WW-231 either will do just fine.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

In Remembrance

Back in my PPC shooting days I had 2 of this mold in 4 banger style. I shot many, many thousands of these boolets using 3.3 gr. of either HP-38 or Win. 231 powders. For outdoors use I upped the load to 3.5 gr. I used straight wheel weights as they were every where and usually free for the taking. I only lubed the bottom 2 grooves, leaving the top groove and crimp groove dry.Robert

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    Bought this mold on fleabay. Great shape though and a good price, I thought. $25.00 . Now I need a good wadcutter load if anyone out there has one. Also, how hard should my alloy be ? The Cast Bullet Handbook only list linotype . I know I don't need anything that hard for 750 - 800 fps.
    Got lucky on a set of handles. I have a old Lyman 224, 45 gr mold I got in a box of auction sale junk, I guess for Hornet boolits. Fit the 358 mold perfect.

Sir do you still have the lyman bullet mold 225438 ? 44 grain or { 45 } is it single cavity or double
    cavity nice condition ?? what would you want for it ?? if its bullet number
    225438 can you send me a picture Thank you

Boolit Buddy
    good info , just got one,yet to try it