Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's discuss the rcbs 2A press

Banned
    RCBS snap in adapter on the left, it has very thin walls that are not suitable for swaging. Center is the normal shellholder. It has to be open for priming but is reinforced across the top. Right is the solid ram for swaging.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	291572

I've had a few RCBS presses over the years, and still have a BIG Max (despite its size did have issues) and RCBS's main problem with the company is support / spare parts for discontinued models. That's enough reason for me to stay away from their products.

To me it's not a very good strategy to abandon so many models so often either. In much the same time frame of say the last 40 years, they (like Hornady) have had many models discontinued with zero support while Dillon will either send parts or upgrade your press.

That said, I don't understand a cult following of RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, Hollywood or Star and owners who have to buy several presses as parts cows to keep them running if they break.

I'm not sure about Lee nowadays, back when Dick Lee ran it, he personally answered my calls and made good on any problem I had.
    Last edited by gnappi; 11-11-2021 at 08:45 AM.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    I seriously dought any Star press owners “have to buy several presses as parts cows”, or Hollywood owners.

Lee’s products are inexpensive, that’s their big selling point. Value engineering is their motto.

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    I seriously dought any Star press owners “have to buy several presses as parts cows”, or Hollywood owners.

Lee’s products are inexpensive, that’s their big selling point. Value engineering is their motto.
    Then I can only guess you don't know many Star or Hollywood press owners. It's a fact of life, even steel parts wear out. I knew a local range owner and an ammo supply house who had several of both brands scavenged for parts either for his own working presses or parts to sell.

Anyway, While I no longer own any Lee products, they are exactly what you say they are and I have no issues with the company.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    Gunwriter Dean Grennell had an A-2 or A-3 , I can not remember which. He asked Fred Huntington of RCBS to start making them again and Huntington refused saying they would be so expensive no one would buy them.

Grennell recommended C&H`s Heavy weight champion as an available equivalent, and stated it was superior for bullet swaging.
    Mr. Huntington was right. I would have loved to buy an A series press (still would love to have one but ... why?) when I started reloading but they were already quite costly and Huntington's own RockChucker put the A's out of business! That BIG press wouldn't have done anything my first much less expensive press couldn't do so it would not have been any more useful for me.

Truth is, virtually ALL common presses can make quite good ammo. So, making a press vastly stronger than it needs to be for what we actually do with it is a waste of both money and steel. (BUT, if I see a useable A in a second hand store for $35 or less I'll sure grab it! )

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    Then I can only guess you don't know many Star or Hollywood press owners. It's a fact of life, even steel parts wear out. I knew a local range owner and an ammo supply house who had several of both brands scavenged for parts either for his own working presses or parts to sell.

Anyway, While I no longer own any Lee products, they are exactly what you say they are and I have no issues with the company.
    I own 2 star progressive presses, 2 star lubesizers, have owned 3 12 hole Hollywood presses and currently own Hollywood Senior turret press. None have needed repair parts. Do you have any first hand experience with these?

I own 2 star progressive presses, 2 star lubesizers, have owned 3 12 hole Hollywood presses and currently own Hollywood Senior turret press. None have needed repair parts. Do you have any first hand experience with these?
    Owning? No but in the 80's I used to help out at the range and personally saw old rusty parts cows. Both I mentioned were reloading for either the range or store front, not as hobbies.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Could it be those presses you have seen were retired when
    newer Dillon progressive or other high output tools were put into use.

Don't think so, the codgers poo poohed other "new" brands

Not long ago the range was selling off the gunsmith and reloading areas and one of the part cows was on the counter for sale. It sold in a day or two.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    I happen to have a few 2A/A2 presses. Even have a Rock Chuck Bullet Swage press. 3 sets of swage dies. 22,24,25. 25 does get a bit hard. Work better on the A2s. I have had 3 or 4 A3s. Ok presses but the A2 is better...and the paint doesn't flake/ fade. on the earlier RCBS presses...I was told by Buzz that they used WWII and later surplus paints on the early presses. True?? I don't really know but it was ugly paint .My B press is kinda ugly.

Perhaps pictures would help the uninformed understand this tread better?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

When I got into reloading in 1959 the A2 was the nee plus ultra of presses, but way beyond my 17 year old pocket book, so I settled for a Pacific Super C. About 12 years ago, I finally bought an A2 and it is the crown jewel of my reloading room.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    I happen to have a few RCBS A based presses and some parts. To be honest I consider them to be strong enough for most any reloading use. And for swaging up to say 25 caliber bullets. I have also had 6 or 7 of the CH Heavyweight. All of them seemed to have more"slop" in them. I had to make an upper ram for an A2 as I got it without the upper ram. I used an early ram made as a replacement ram for presses with fixed caliber shell holder. It was made by RCBS to retrofit many presses that didn't have replaceable shell holders. The only fly in the ointment is that the pin that connects the upper and lower rams has a slight taper and has to fit just right. Not being a real machinist...it took me a couple of tries to get it to work. I think it is one of the ones I call a 2A(older different color) . RCBS made lots of stuff to fit other presses. I have a Pacific C (upstroke) press that has a bar mae by RCBS to make the Pacific ionto a swaging press
    Last edited by skeet028; 02-18-2022 at 01:08 PM.

Well here are a couple of pictures of my homely setup for S.B.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2-3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	296512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2-2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	296513

I'm sure some others might have some better pictures.
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Master
    All the pictures of these FINE old presses make me envious.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

My request for pictures was based on wanting to compare them to my 50 year old Rock Chucker.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Mold
    dddddmorgan, is that an inline fabrication handle on your A2. I ask because I have an A2 with no handle. I have friend who I believe could easily fabricate me a new one not sure how reliable he would be with following through. Did the threads match on the A2 with the new handle or did you drill out the threads on the press? I understand why one would do that but I don't think I could bring myself to do it on a 55+ year old press.

I received the press with the handle on it so I can't tell you where it came from.

I can tell you that it is wonderfully strong and beautiful to use. The leverage is awesome and the comfort goes without saying.

If I had an all original press I wouldn't put one on but this is how it is now so I'm happy.
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123