Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Lead fouling vs Powder Fouling PC Boolits

Boolit Bub

Lead fouling vs Powder Fouling PC Boolits

Hello Everybody,
    This is my first post, and after much searching I still have a few questions. Please forgive the Noob nature of this question, as I am still very new to casting and powder coating and wasn't able to find the answers when searching.

I have been casting 124gr RNBB and ES coating them with eastwood powders, then sizing to .356.

After shooting through a clean bore, within about 50 rnds I am seeing residue in the lands that is dull. I suspect it is leading, however, after a couple wet patches and several passes with a copper brush the bore is nice and clean again. I am shooting an XD9.

I understand a smaller bullet may lead to some leading in a 9mm, however, if it was leading would it be that easy to clean?

If this were leading, could this have anything to do with the bases not being coated?

I have shot lots of FMJ in the past, but only now have I been paying this close attention to bore cleanliness.

Thanks for your help,

Boolit Master
    Let's do the easiest one first. Not having PC on the base means nothing.

Now the fouling: If there is lead fouling in your barrel you will see typically see the lead on your cleaning patch. If your powder coating is working correctly you should not have any lead fouling. I suggest you prove it to yourself. Load some of your fmjs and shoot them. Inspect the bore as you are now.

Another thing you can do is after shooting with your PC boolits don't brush it first. Instead, just dampen a tight fitting patch with some bore solvent and push it through the bore. If there is lead present some of it will be sticking to the patch.

Often when shooting lubed cast boolits you can get some lead fouling. This is normal. What you shouldn't get is accumulating lead. This is where the lead fouling continually get worse as you shoot until it starts effecting accuracy.

Personally I have not seen lead fouling in my pistols since starting to PC.

Welcome to forum. There are lots of good folks here.

Good questions.

Motor

Probably like Motor says, powder residue. As long as you just see small sparkles on the patch, no problem Real accuracy killing leading you will see obviously.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Remember that PC is only a replacement for lube. Proper alloy and fit to bore are still required. I've never been able to size 9mm bullets to .356" and not have leading. I usually size mine to .357" and a few guns have needed .358" so don't give up.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    357 and 358 for a 9mm is pretty standard!

I would not use 356. I have an XD-M and use 358. And in all my other 9mm bore guns.

And...................PLEASE.............do not worry about the bases, especially in 9mm.

banger

Everything leaves a residue in the bbl; lead, copper, PC, burnt powder. How much & how easy it is to clean is the issue. If it cleans up, stop worrying about.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    Remember that PC is only a replacement for lube. Proper alloy and fit to bore are still required. I've never been able to size 9mm bullets to .356" and not have leading. I usually size mine to .357" and a few guns have needed .358" so don't give up.
    I totally agree with this and bangerjim's post.

I size all my 9mm .358" and don't have any problems. Before I started casting for 38/357 I didn't even size my 9mms but as it turns out my revolvers don't have the loose chambers that auto loaders have so I had to buy a .358" size die. Now with PC I do need to size them so it's a good thing I did.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    Stag15, when I read your post, my first thought is what Motor alluded to. Are you sure you weren't getting the same fouling from powder with FMJ bullets? If it comes out clean after a couple of wet patches and several passes with a copper brush, I wouldn't worry at all, as that describes how you would clean a barrel that has nothing but powder fowling, IMO.

Before I figured out what I was doing, I had one test range session where grooves were pretty much filled with lead after about 20 shots. Accuracy isn't very good at 10 feet once the grooves are filled in. That was not a fun barrel to clean out, let me tell you!

I've seen residue from PC bullets in my M&P 40 and 9mm barrels. These barrels have a narrow throat and must have 0.356" or smaller bullets if any part of the drive band is to stick above the case rim. When I was shooting tumble lubed bullets, I would always end up with light leading in the grooves near the chamber but 45 seconds with a Chore Boy wrapped bore mop would clean it up.

Now with the PC bullets, I see more than just soot. It looks like long thin scaling in the grooves mixed in with the soot. Originally I was running a Hoppes No9 soaked patch to clean it off (this alone would have never cleaned lead deposits). Lately I've been experimenting to see how little I can do to clean it out. I found that a simple piece of wadded up paper towel fitting snugly in the barrel pushed through once cleans everything out as if new. So the stuff is no worse than residual smokeless powder soot. It may be gas cut powder coat that gets laid down before the bullet has a chance to seal the bore. In any case, the stuff does not seem to affect accuracy and doesn't build up any more whether I shoot 50 rounds or 200 rounds in a session.

Boolit Master

Ditto all of the above. I don't have a 9 but I pc for 45, 380 and 38 and have seen no lead at all. Some powders leave a lot of funky gunk though. Also, as Jim said, slug your barrel, both my 380's slug .356 or a fraction over and I side .358.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"