WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do You Get Advise At The Range?

Do You Get Advise At The Range?

Yesterday, at the pistol range, another guy shooting a 1911 told me he was a reloader, too. I asked him which powder he would suggest for a 45ACP that would burn clean. He told me to try CFE Pistol, it cleans out the barrel of any copper fouling and lead. Really?, I thought!

A few weeks ago, same range, I was told that I just had to get a Lee "Belly Buster" die because of the waist in my 45ACP reloads. It could cause my gun to jam! Really?, I thought!

Of course I get advise. From those that KNOW more than I do. The other kind of advise, we'll, I try to be polite and correct them. Luckily meeting a total idiot giving advise is quite rare here.

Having a white beard and gray hair I get very little advice at the range anymore. I do get asked occasionally and IF I know anything I happily share what I know. If I don't, "I don't know" is a perfectly good answer.

Boolit Grand Master

I get advise and also will offer help information if there appears to be a need. I enjoy talking to new members and others at the club I belong to. Sometimes it helps sometimes it dosnt.

Love Life
    Not usually. When I do, I thank the person for their advice whether it was useful to me or not. Then I get back to the business of shooting.

Boolit Master

I get advice at the range all the time. My decision to heed it or not depends alot on who is giving it and how much respect I have for their knowledge of that topic.

For example, Joe holds most of the match records at my club. I'm very likely to take Joe's advice into consideration.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    I can not remember the last time someone attempted to give me advice at the range. I usually do not hand out unsolicited advice either. Unless of course some one is about to hurt themselves. About a month ago I stopped the guy next to me from firing a PPK with his weak hand thumb in direct line with the rear of the slide.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    I get advice at USPSA matches all the time. Since many of them are better than me I listen, except for those that say Cast is bad in a Glock.

Sometimes I get unsolicited advice. My favorite was a youngster tactical guy telling my AR15 would stop jamming if I quit using the metal GI mags and switch to P-Mags. Too bad I didn't capture the lost look on his face when I explained the rifle "jammed" because reloads were being tested and he saw me using loads light enough to extract and eject, but not pick up and chamber a new round.

his weak hand thumb in direct line with the rear of the slide.
    Or going to check targets before cease fire is called!
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

not to get into the getting unsolicited advice thing, but if you read the annual hodgon manuals they had an article on cfe pistol, and flatly state it does work on copper fouling, but does absolutely nothing for lead.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    not to get into the getting unsolicited advice thing, but if you read the annual hodgon manuals they had an article on cfe pistol, and flatly state it does work on copper fouling, but does absolutely nothing for lead.
    Which is really interesting, Hogdon has a fair amount of data for CFE Pistol with cast bullets! Doesn't remove lead, but can be used to push them down bore!

I'm in my late 30's now. So I don't get as much advice as I used to. When I was in my 20's I got advice all the time until they saw my shooting. I think I shot so bad they figured that no advice in the world could help. I keep my mouth shut at the range unless I see someone who really needs help or they ask for it.

Boolit Master

Don't accept. Don't offer. If asked, if possible i reply i don't know.

Ocasionally i get trapped, then I tell the truth.

The universal answer to 99% of all questions about reloading is . . .

It depends.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Banned
    I was at the range in 1971 when an older gentleman suggested that I change my grip on my gov 1911 he showed me a better hand hold which I still employ today the gentleman's name was Joe Benner.

Boolit Master

Was shooting next to a guy, he was shooting a Springfield Operator 1911 45 acp.

He looked down at my holster and had an attack --- Holly cow he said !!! Man do you know the hammer is cocked on your pistol.

My pistol was my carry Springfield 1911-A1 sitting happily in my holster, cocked and locked.

I thanked him, and I thought for a second, Tick/Tock -- should I say anything ? I answered myself with a no and continued my practice from the holster.

I spend more time at the range teaching others --- sometimes more than I do shooting, I love to do it.

But Sometimes the blank look on someones face just tells me to move on and create distance.
    Hours of explanations many times goes NO place.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

I enjoy talking to people at the range when I'm not shooting. Sometimes it pays to be sociable and if not, it's still good manners.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Banned

CFE actually uses lead to scrub out the copper [it's a secret so don't tell nobody]

advice eh, opinion maybe,,, but I don't get asked for no advice.
    nobody else there is shooting cast boolits in their rifles at jacketed speeds so I got nuthin to tell em anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

I try not to look like I want or need advice. Not making direct eye contact helps. But sometimes they can't help but come over and give you advice, problem is the advice givers usually have no idea what they're talking about. Don't contradict them, let them talk, nod in agreement, say thank you and try to get them to go away. Whatever you do don't argue with them, that just encourages them to show off more ignorance.
    The guy to get advce from is the old guy , off by himself, that can shoot tiny groups and has older guns that look like they have been used but abused. That's the guy that usually knows something.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Usually when that happens to me I make some comment about how they should treat their wife/girlfriend or they should lose weight/ not drink so much etc. It usually prompts "that's none of your business". Then I say my shooting habits are none of yours but that didn't stop you from offering advice either did it?
    Those stress balls really work..... When you get to shove them down a persons throat.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast