Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Core seating Pressure

Boolit Bub

Question Core seating Pressure

I have the next problem.
    Till now i swaged a lot of .224 boolits from .22lr cases.
    I'm used to the amount of pressure to seat a core.
    A few weeks ago i endly was able to get a bag of jackets and also the correct core seater punch.
    I did some test runs and i get things like vacuum problems and loose cores. Even when the jacket is expanded to size.
    Jackets a cleaned.
    To seat those cores in the jackets i have the feeling i have to apply almost 8 times more pressure then i had to with the RF jackets. And still i have core seating issues. Is this normal or do i have a punch that is to thick or is the an other cause for this problem.

Anyone a thought of what is causing this problem.

My first guess would be wrong punch size, does jacket slip over punch? Are jackets wrinkling? Or maybe a hard batch that needs anneal...

Boolit Bub
    The jacket not slipping over the punch. First i forgot to clean the jackets i had wrinkling. Now i clean them first and there is no sign anymore of wrinkles.
    I suspect a to thick punch just i have to be sure that it will be the problem as it sets me back for another $90 (50 punch+15P&P+25 import taxes).

Boolit Master

Plus one on the punch diameter. Rimfire jackets are thin walled compared to commercial jackets.
    Cleaning jackets should make them form smoother. But the friction from sliding the punch up in the tight jacket, with the die outside of it will be much higher.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Check your lube/friction balance.

Enough lube to eject, but too much will leave the core seated jacket stuck on the punch.

A tighter punch will seem to give a better result but if there is still too much lube the jacket will still stick to the punch.

Punch diameter is too large and you're applying too much pressure, when the jacket cracks at the lead line and you take the top half with the punch...one guess as to how I know.

Also an excellent way to damage your press by wearing links and bending pins...all of sudden you go from cracking jackets by swinging off the arm with your body weight; and then the next seated core takes place without a fuss...I did bend the ejection stop pin once, okay twice at the most.
    Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projecitles

Moderator Emeritus
    The pressure to seat a core in a rimfire case and a commercial case should be similar.

Put a case without a core in the press and see what the case looks like after running the punch in. You may have an expansion ring where the case is stuck on the punch. Measure the expansion and that is probably the amount to take off the punch.

I would suggest chucking your punch in a drill or lathe and using sand paper or a file to reduce the diameter.

Boolit Bub
    I got on the mail with Dave he is gladly to exchange the punch for a smaller without costs. I love the american customer support.

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post

I would suggest chucking your punch in a drill or lathe and using sand paper or a file to reduce the diameter.
    Done that a few times.

I also put the smallest of chamfers on the tip to look after the inside of the jacket. Cordless drill in one hand with punch, Dremel with stone in the other.
    Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projecitles