Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Handi rifle .45-70

Boolit Master

Handi rifle .45-70

My new Handi Rifle comes unlocked when fired. Should I let Academy ship it back, or can simple smithing fix it? The rifle has not been oiled but has had patches run through the bore. When closed with normal effort, hitting butt on floor will unlock it. Slamming it shut will keep it locked. I shot it only once and wish not to test it again until some corrective action has occurred.

Like a dummy, I started a new thread instead of writing in the already established one.
    Last edited by lightload; 10-04-2015 at 09:15 PM.

if you can get a local gun smith to look at it let them tell you if it is some thing simple, if it it is some thing big or the price is to high let Academy ship it back to H&R

Boolit Master
    H&R is gone, bought out by Marlin, Marlin was bought out by Remington I doubt that rem will do anything about it but you can try. New England fire arms was the org handi rifle maker they were bought out by H&R

I had some dealings with remington customer service about 8 or 10 years ago, they did me well.

Boolit Master
    Try drying off the locking latch and shelf. They should be run dry. Also, a new rifle will need to be 'slammed' shut until the latch/shelf get worn together. Just don't go All Arnold on it, though.

Banned

present yer problem to the folks at the graybeards h&r forum - those guys are unquestionably the h&r experts ....

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/

having owned and used five h&r's in .45-70, i did have one (a buffalo classic) that had latch issues which required a firm slamming of the action to insure positive lock up. as long as i did that, all was fine. it sorta worked itself out after a few hundred rounds and then the slamming wasn't required.

oh yes --- do check the fit of the fore end, as sometimes the spacer is too tight and just needs to be sanded down a bit for a looser fit and that makes latching up easier.
    Last edited by rfd; 10-05-2015 at 06:46 AM.

Handi rifle .45-70

Quote Originally Posted by Silverboolit View Post
    Try drying off the locking latch and shelf. They should be run dry. Also, a new rifle will need to be 'slammed' shut until the latch/shelf get worn together. Just don't go All Arnold on it, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    present yer problem to the folks at the graybeards h&r forum - those guys are unquestionably the h&r experts ....

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/

having owned and used five h&r's in .45-70, i did have one (a buffalo classic) that had latch issues which required a firm slamming of the action to insure positive lock up. as long as i did that, all was fine. it sorta worked itself out after a few hundred rounds and then the slamming wasn't required.

oh yes --- do check the fit of the fore end, as sometimes the spacer is too tight and just needs to be sanded down a bit for a looser fit and that makes latching up easier.
    Yes the FIRM shutting of a new Handi action is necessary for the first while to mate the latch and latch shelf together. It would be very profitable to join Greybeard Outdoors and spend a few hours reading there Handi 101 thread and the FAQ.
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=116451

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=26264
    Last edited by 1989toddm; 10-09-2015 at 06:13 PM.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Bub
    lightload, rfd and 1989toddm, are setting you on the right trail! Greybeard Outdoors is the place for all questions about H&R Handi Rifles. Please read the FAQ section first, that will answer your question. As 1989 posted, shutting the action FIRMLY, silverboolet's clean the shelf and latch are all on the money. I'm a ''Handiholic'' with 3 in my gun safe. The 45-70 is fun to shoot andf accurate too. Enjoy your Handi and check out GBO. Take care, John.
    NRA life member.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do what you do, that counts.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skills!

Boolit Master
    Gentlemen, thanks to your guidance, my Handi shoots as it should. Slamming(not too hard)the breech closed did the trick. I learned that the thumb lever for unlocking should have wiggle room when properly closed and locked and should have zero wiggle when breech is open. Graybeard's library is impressive. I now look forward to shooting tons of reduced loads while engaged in close quarters combat with evil cans, stumps, and wayward dirt clods. Then I will seek out a feral hog or two with trapdoor type loads. As one man here said, the trapdoor load will shoot clean through that which roams the lower 48. What more could I ask?

Boolit Master
    That's good news. Have fun, you're on track for a good time. There's so much you can do with an H&R 45-70, it'll keep you busy for a long time. And it will flatten a hog, believe me. No need at all for heavy Ruger type loads and/or jacketed you know whats. Get a good slip on butt pad for the bench shooting. They kick.

Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    Gentlemen, thanks to your guidance, my Handi shoots as it should. Slamming(not too hard)the breech closed did the trick. I learned that the thumb lever for unlocking should have wiggle room when properly closed and locked and should have zero wiggle when breech is open. Graybeard's library is impressive. I now look forward to shooting tons of reduced loads while engaged in close quarters combat with evil cans, stumps, and wayward dirt clods. Then I will seek out a feral hog or two with trapdoor type loads. As one man here said, the trapdoor load will shoot clean through that which roams the lower 48. What more could I ask?
    Good job! 45-70 is my favorite cartridge and the Handis are my favorite gun. Simple, they work, and ther're cheap!
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9