Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a model Savage 99C?

Boolit Man

Is this a model Savage 99C?

Is this a model Savage 99C?

It is 303 savage. I am enjoying shooting and just wondered if I had figured out the model.
    It has 22 inch barrel.

Serial 2535xx places it at 1923 as best I can see.
    It has 1899 on the receiver as I understand some early rifle had even though they were model 99s.

It has Lyman tang sight, folding rear sights and front drift sight that seems to have copper on the top.

I have shot some cast and I am now trying out different weight jacketed bullets.
    I am trying to see how the aperture, and the two rear sight leaves group and where they group for the different bullet weights and velocities.

Its been used for sure, but seems to work fine.

I take it to be completely original. What do you think?

http://www.duckpondconsulting.com/savage99_3924.JPG
    http://www.duckpondconsulting.com/savage99_3925.JPG
    http://www.duckpondconsulting.com/savage99_3926.JPG
    http://www.duckpondconsulting.com/savage99_3927.JPG
    http://www.duckpondconsulting.com/savage99_3928.JPG
    http://www.duckpondconsulting.com/savage99_3929.JPG
    http://www.duckpondconsulting.com/savage99_3930.JPG
    http://www.duckpondconsulting.com/savage99_3931.JPG
    http://www.duckpondconsulting.com/savage99_3932.JPG
    Last edited by HawkEyeEarl; 10-04-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

Boolit Grand Master

Not a C. It has a standard rotary magazine. I'm not at home and can't look up which version it is.

Your Savage .303 appears to be a Model 99E, made 1922-1934 with a straight stock & a choice of either a 20", a 22", or a .24" barrel.

The rotary magazine Model 99C was made from 1899-1915.

Savage also made Model(s) A, B & D.

Two post-1970 Model 99's had the same model letters:

The detachable magazine Model 99C, made 1965-1997; and the rotary magazine Model 99A - both of which were offered in post-1955 chamberings (.243, .308, .284, etc), unlike the earlier Model(s) A & C, etc.

Last edited by pietro; 10-07-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Boolit Man
    Pietro
    I appreciate that information.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

Banned

I have a 99H (saddle Carbine, short) in .303 I've been working with for deer season. The .303 seems very similar to the .30-30, but is a bit bigger case capacity and was loaded with a 190 grain bullet at 1900 FPS originally, which (arguably) made it a better killer of big game.

The original loading seems to be easy to duplicate with 29 grains of IMR 3031 and a 190 grain of so bullet. I've been using the RCBS 180 grain FP, which comes out a little over 190 grains. I've also had better luck accuracy wise with IMR 4320. I plan to cast some soft nosed ones up for deer hunting.

Boolit Master
    The C stands for clip (fed.) And that it isn't. I think its just a plain jane model 99 E
    Last edited by OverMax; 10-05-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I have a 99H (saddle Carbine, short) in .303 I've been working with for deer season. The .303 seems very similar to the .30-30, but is a bit bigger case capacity and was loaded with a 190 grain bullet at 1900 FPS originally, which (arguably) made it a better killer of big game.

The original loading seems to be easy to duplicate with 29 grains of IMR 3031 and a 190 grain of so bullet. I've been using the RCBS 180 grain FP, which comes out a little over 190 grains. I've also had better luck accuracy wise with IMR 4320. I plan to cast some soft nosed ones up for deer hunting.
    That's exactly my approach, Rich. Same load, only my bullet is a 190 grain flat nose custom from Saeco. It works:

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    The C stands for clip (fed.) And that it isn't. I think its just a plain jane model 99 E
    I beg to differ. The early C was a rotary magazine, made from 1899 to 1915. The later C model was never chambered in .303. I'm with pietro on this one, looks like an early E. There is sometimes confusion as there were later models with the same letter designations. Regards, 021

Banned

the 303 was an early attempt at salesmanship it tended to have higher velocity's than it's target cartridge the 30-30.
    it pretty much got there by using a 311 diameter bullet in a 308 barrel and adding another grain or 2 of powder.
    the 30-30 case had room for more too but it relied on the 170gr bullet at a pedestrian speed and lower pressure.
    adding more bullet weight and bout the same velocity made the 303 look like a 'magnum' lever gun back in it's day.

Boolit Buddy
    In my opinion, this is a 99C as the original post stated. Pages 3-34 and 3-35 of Murray's book shows the Model 99-C Standard Weight Short Barrel, Solid Frame Rifle. Date introduced 1922, discontinued 1926/27. Calibers 30-30 and 303 with 22" barrel, 300 Savage 24". Serial range 238,000 to 290,000 so there weren't a lot of them made. Murray has a note at the end of the write-up "The 99-C and 99-D are the last of the "Standard Weight" barrel 99's. All subsequent models were produced with lighter tapered round barrels." Outside of the rear sight, which appears to be a folder, and the tang peep it looks original. The "other 99-C", the clip fed pretend Savage 99, came along much later and only shared the name and number with the early one.
    yooper

In Remembrance
    For a lot of years, you couldn't hardly give away a 303 savage. I didn't pick any up when they were cheap, because I always considered them inferior to my 300. Now in hindsight, I sure wished I had taken advantage of the cheap prices for the 303's and 30/30s that I passed up.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    In my opinion, this is a 99C as the original post stated. Pages 3-34 and 3-35 of Murray's book shows the Model 99-C Standard Weight Short Barrel, Solid Frame Rifle. Date introduced 1922, discontinued 1926/27. Calibers 30-30 and 303 with 22" barrel, 300 Savage 24". Serial range 238,000 to 290,000 so there weren't a lot of them made. Murray has a note at the end of the write-up "The 99-C and 99-D are the last of the "Standard Weight" barrel 99's. All subsequent models were produced with lighter tapered round barrels." Outside of the rear sight, which appears to be a folder, and the tang peep it looks original. The "other 99-C", the clip fed pretend Savage 99, came along much later and only shared the name and number with the early one.
    yooper
    I skipped right over that "C", instead thinking he meant the very first C, that was made until 1915. Upon reflection I believe you are very correct! Good call! Regards, 021

Boolit Man
    Yall are now to where I first saw in the book that it might be a 99C.
    But I was confused for sure and maybe still am.
    So, I have a 1923 99C ?
    And not a 1923 99E ?
    Serial 2535xx
    Thanks
    Earl
    Thanks
    HawkEye

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    That's exactly my approach, Rich. Same load, only my bullet is a 190 grain flat nose custom from Saeco. It works:

Should be, pretty sure it was you that gave me that load advice, LOL. Nice deer, by the way. I sure hope I have something like that walk my way come opening day this year. Gonna try to use that .303 or maybe my .250 9although it's my least favorite 99), but I have several rifles in the que waiting to hunt, LOL.

Boolit Buddy
    Hawkeye, if you want to know for sure, here's how. Write a letter to the Savage Historian, John T. Callahan, P.O. Box 82, Southampton, MA 01073 and give him the SN and other data on the rifle and any pics you feel would help. Include a check for $30. In a VERRRY short time, your mail carrier will bring you your answer with the history of the rifle, when made, who shipped to, etc. WELL WORTH the $$ IMHO. Or if you want to save $5 plus get some great info, join the Savage Collectors Forum on 24HourCampfire.com . Factory letters are $25 to Forum members plus the forum itself is great.
    yooper

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkEyeEarl View Post
    Yall are now to where I first saw in the book that it might be a 99C.
    But I was confused for sure and maybe still am.
    So, I have a 1923 99C ?
    And not a 1923 99E ?
    Serial 2535xx
    Thanks
    Earl
    I think what it comes down to is the standard weight barrel is a C and the featherweight/tapered lightweight barrel is an E. Looks like a standard weight barrel to me, which is why I said Yooper made a good call. I am perfectly capable of being wrong though, just ask my wife! Regards, 021

Boolit Master
    Yep, I think Yooper nailed it. I was with withholding my thoughts because I couldn't get a good fix on the barrel weight.

Good advice re: the Factory Letter from John Callahan. He is a very nice guy, and his letters are very professional and look good displayed next to the subject rifle. He owns the factory ledgers for M1899 and M99's. But, be advised that the factory quit recording much production info in the ledgers after the 1920's. Most of my Savages date to the pre-WWI era and as such there is a lot of info to be had- but then it's only the date which the gun went to the warehouse (ostensibly when it came off the assembly line) and the date which it left the warehouse and the purchaser's name, along with the original caliber and sometimes the model designation. Special order features, if any, are often noted too. For info regarding dates of manufacture for later rifles about the only thing one can do is consult with the gurus over on the Savage Forum of the 24Hr. Campfire website.

The gun shown in the pic of the dead deer above is a 1914-vintage M1899H takedown, .303 caliber, with a Lyman 30½ tang sight. It'll plop 5 shots into 1½" at 100 yards, if I hold my breath, squint just right, and the stars are aligned just right. Who said takedowns won't shoot?

FWIW: Weigh your rifle & measure the barrel length.

The Model 99-C had a shotgun butt & a 22" round barrel & weighed 7lbs, 10oz

The Model 99-E had a shotgun butt & a 20" lightweight tapered barrel & weighed 6lbs, 4oz.

Boolit Man
    Pietro

It has a shotgun butt, a 22 inch barrel and my scale shows about 7 3/4 pounds - it is not a digital scale.

99C is where we stand at this time.

Now I need 1 more 99 to keep it company.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkEyeEarl View Post
    Pietro

It has a shotgun butt, a 22 inch barrel and my scale shows about 7 3/4 pounds - it is not a digital scale.

99C is where we stand at this time.

Now I need 1 more 99 to keep it company.
    Good luck with that. You ll ALWAYS need "one more".