Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Nosler Manual...

Boolit Master

Nosler Manual...

I guess manuals are reloading equipment...

Do the newer Nosler Manuals (Mine is #3) give overall case lengths for various cartridges/bullets?...

This is a bit away from cast, but I will chance a question here...

Does Nosler list the O.C.L. for a 7-30 Waters and a 120 grain Ballistic Tip Spitzer?...

Thanks...BCB

I thought I had the new Nosler manual, but it's the Hornady...
    Looking for a Brown Bair I

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ARTCA
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    Good news and bad news, I have the Nosler #7 and it gives the max case length and over all length, but has no data for the 7-30 Waters cartridge.

What kind of gun do you have that is chambered in 7-30 Waters, the reason I ask is most lever action rifles have a max over all length of 2.550" in order to feed through the tube magazine, where a single shot like a T/C Contender has no restrictions.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    Good news and bad news, I have the Nosler #7 and it gives the max case length and over all length, but has no data for the 7-30 Waters cartridge.

What kind of gun do you have that is chambered in 7-30 Waters, the reason I ask is most lever action rifles have a max over all length of 2.550" in order to feed through the tube magazine, where a single shot like a T/C Contender has no restrictions.
    Yep, it's for a Contender. I have tried to seat them again the rifling but the Contender chamber is 'bout a mile long--as usual...

So, I was seating them so the base of the bullet was at the neck/shoulder junction. Seems to work O.K.

But, these rounds are for a nephew and he didn't have the O.C.L. listed on his data label in the cartridge case--so, it will be to the base of the bullet and neck/shoulder junction...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

The old school rule of thumb for dark ages reloader's was base @ neck -shoulder or at crimping groove if cast boolit or at cannelure if jac***d . At times I would set my seating die using a factory loaded round. Of course the bullet had to be the same.
    Hard to know these things in advance, do the best you can and don't load too many in case there is a problem.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The old school rule of thumb for dark ages reloader's was base @ neck -shoulder or at crimping groove if cast boolit or at cannelure if jac***d . At times I would set my seating die using a factory loaded round. Of course the bullet had to be the same.
    Hard to know these things in advance, do the best you can and don't load too many in case there is a problem.
    Yep, I agree...

I put the base of the boattail to the junction of the neck/shoulder. Made the C.O.L. quite lenghty...

But, I remember it was a long round and it still is not near the rifling in the Contender...

Basically, by doing the method you suggest and that is what I usually do if I can't get to the rifling. Or seat it at least one caliber diameter...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

Nosler #6
    7-30 Waters(handgun)
    lists Maximum SAAMI OCL 2.550" (same as they do for rifle)
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I shot a 14" for a couple seasons back in the day. OAL was set at 2.750" for everything but HP's. Great for deer hunting out to 150.