RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 358 Win project

Contact Huntington Die Specialties they are the Custom arm of RCBS.
    1-866 RELOADS But it will not be inexpensive.

Lee Precision will also do custom work so if you wanted a custom collet neck sizer
    for .358 WCF they will do it.

If you find an off the shelf solution you are better off, Wonder if a 35 Remington die would work or just a carbide .357 mag /.38 spl sizing die? I can usually adjust my sizer to just do part of the neck by backing it off - have you tried that?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy

I looked at my 35 Rem collet die, tried messing with it I may be able to adjust it I did not spend a whole lot of time on it. It looks like Hornady has a neck sizing die for the 358 I may go that route but if all else fails I can partial size with the full length sizer I do this with the 204 Ruger I have a washer the thickness I want so that it makes repeatable just place the washer over the case and set press so it just touches the shoulder it works well with the 204
    Tony

Boolit Buddy

On a lighter Note ended up at the range this evening the problem is there was no 358 or 308 with me my sons needed to sight in their muzzle loaders because the muzzle loader season opens Friday and they both figured while we were out we might as well sight in the slug guns MAN I CAN NOT DESCRIBE HOW MUCH I HATE SHOOTING SLUG GUNS OFF A BENCH AT PAPER!!!! I think I WILL have a lead sled by this time next year.
    Tony

Shooting to sight in either Shotguns or Really Heavy rifles are best done standing

Although the one at the rod and gun club I used years ago was very basic compared to the above just looked like sheet music stand turned to give a sloping surface...no shelf - bolted to plywood that you would stand on.

adjusted for height and angle - covered in leather
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy

Artful
    That is an idea that had not occurred to me, I have never seen a stand up bench but it would definitely make the recoil easier to take. This will be placed on the to do list at the club and I would say may become a popular addition as we are a shotgun only state ( we do have a Pistol season and there is talk of allowing straight wall pistol cartridge lever action rifles during the shotgun season. I think it is a conspiracy to make me buy another 336 )
    Tony

Another solution that is field portable is to use a supporting stick
    examples...

http://adaptivedefenseconcepts.com/diy-shooting-sticks/

And/Or visit goodwill/2nd hand stores look for a video tripod that comes up to at least your shoulder height.
    je suis charlie

Oh, and one more thing
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699...d-ambidextrous

The PAST Super Mag Plus Shield is designed to provide the highest protection level of any PAST Shield. With the maximum amount of absorbing protection, shooting even the biggest calibers is tolerable. The comfortable leather cover conforms to the body while the energy-absorbing foam insert dramatically reduces felt recoil.

Technical Information

Material: Leather Covered 1" Energy Absorbing Foam

Recommended Uses:
    Provides protection from recoil from rifles up to 7mm and beyond

Notes:

Ambidextrous

Contoured to fit the shooter's body (over the shoulder and onto the arm design protects more of your peck, shoulder, and bicep for benchrest shooting with larger calibers).

Gives the most protection during the 2 millisecond of peak recoil.

Warranty:
    1-year warranty against manufacturing defects

je suis charlie

Boolit Buddy

I have seen those. Its a lot cheaper than buying a lead sled that will get used 1 one time a year and I will have to store it he rest of the year.

shooting even the biggest calibers is tolerable
    ^^^^ Like this comment on somebody's opinion ^^^^
    Tony

I have a Past Mag recoil shield I use for my .358 BLR when I'm shooting in a tee shirt. Makes a considerable difference. The Super Mag shield I have not tried.

Boolit Buddy

I Finally got back out to the range with the 358 Win today.
    Still getting the parts for the final rifle configuration but why not shoot it while I build it, got the 1 piece scope mount in so put that on and loaded up a few rounds 25 gr 3031 and a RCBS 35-200 boolit on top of it sighted the scope in and shot 2 5 round groups @ 100yrds. when I get the new stock I will start on load work up but not bad for a stab in the dark load
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1332[1].jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	152330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1331[1].jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	152331
    Tony

looks promising indeed
    je suis charlie

For a hunting load, I'd be pleased as punch!

This might help a bit. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...build-slow-lol

On the last page there is even a target . To say that I like the .358 Winchester would be an understatement. And yes the center group is 5 rounds in less than a thumb nail.

It is a Savage (Stevens) Action with the E.R.Shaw 358 Winchester barrel 1-14 twist cut down to 20" set into a Boyds Thumb hole stock ( If you do go with a Boyds Stock I would pick the Thumb Hole stock as the fore end is wide enough to accommodate the E.R.Shaw Mag contour barrel but you can contact Boyd's to see if they have an equivalent now) The stock has pillars added and bedded with bed rock. Other small things were done but that is the meat of it.

I would also say to listen to Ben as he is very knowledgeable about the 358 Winchester.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 11-04-2015 at 04:29 AM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy

Nice looking Rifle Jester and shoots to
    A Boyds Stock is in the future for this build. The last Savage/Stevens Build got a Eabco Thumbhole Varmint and I am very happy with it but they don't make one for the long action so I am going with the Boyds

Name:	IMG_1173[1].jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	152599
    I think I am going with the Coyote Just to be different

Tony

The Coyote is nice and I also liked the Forest Camo by Boyd's. But as you say I wished to be a bit different lol. And I think I made the bolt lever a bit long but it sure does work nice and is hard to miss lol.

You should be very happy with the .358 Winchester for either Cast and or jacketed. And I will admit that if I would have had the .358 Winchester built first I would have never messed with building a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. As there is nothing down here that needs that kind of WOMP lol.

As I have a thread or a post on this forum as to when I used it on a bit over a 200LB Hog at I think it was 125 yards or so and with the Speer 250Gr Grand Slam pushed with Reloader 15 in my 35 Whelen it went through Both shoulders and the Heart and Lungs and made about a half hand size hole when it came out and spread blood probably 6-8 feet out and 4 feet wide and slammed that hog to the ground with authority. The other hunters looked at the Hog where it layed when we went to pick it up and pretty much in unison what was the caliber again lol. Yep it was a bit much lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy

Unfortunately we can't rifle hunt anything but Varmints (I have a 204 Ruger that is lights out for that) in Delaware so this will be a cast boolit bench rifle I have started shooting in a CBA match once a month that is what the other rifle was built for it's a Stevens 200 that I put a Criterion 308 Win Barrel on.
    I ran up on this Action and did some research and really liked the 358 Win so here we are will be a few months before I have all the pieces together but I am happy so far will keep updates coming.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy

Well its time to get back to the 358Win
    Got the Boyds Stock in Coyote in just before Christmas a Weaver T-36 and I have a NOE 35XCB mold (have I said lately how much I like NOE Molds) and a RCBS 35-200 and a .359 and a .360 sizers from Buckshot. I casted a few 35XCB Boolits sized them to .359 and going to push them down the Barrel tomorrow.
    LET THE LOAD DEVELOPMENT BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony

Name:	IMG_1497[1].jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	157101

Quote Originally Posted by Menner View Post
    Well its time to get back to the 358Win
    Got the Boyds Stock in Coyote in just before Christmas a Weaver T-36 and I have a NOE 35XCB mold (have I said lately how much I like NOE Molds) and a RCBS 35-200 and a .359 and a .360 sizers from Buckshot. I casted a few 35XCB Boolits sized them to .359 and going to push them down the Barrel tomorrow.
    LET THE LOAD DEVELOPMENT BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony

Name:	IMG_1497[1].jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	157101
    Menner very nice rifle build. But a word to the wise do not under any circumstances shoot that rifle as if you do all of your other rifles will start to rust from non use lol.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Jester
    I am looking forward to developing loads for this rifle.
    we will see what this budget Shaw barrel will do.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy

Back from the range had to sight in the scope after bore sighting at 50 yrds first shot was the far right second shot went through the same hole I made a scope adjustment third shot is left about 4 inches another scope adjustment and hit the paper then I used the hole on the white paper as POA and fired the next 6 in the group. the one slightly higher is the dummy behind the stocks fault.
    Boolit - 35XCB COWW air cooled sized to .359 25 gr 3031
    Over all a good outing for the really the first time out with the rifle as built I am excited about this rifle

Name:	IMG_1498.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	157147
    Tony

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast