Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to tie a line to a hook?

I vote for the Palomar as well . I've been tying that particular knot since I was a teen and I'm in my mid
    So , 50's.
    I just read where it tested at 91% of line strength . I also have tied the improved clinch but I'm not as quick at it . It tested at 86 % .
    Now there is a new ( modern ) one called the six turn San Diego jam which tests at 94% of line strength .
    So that would explain why I lost that big striper a couple years ago . My knot was at fault , it was 5% under the "ideal" range . HaHa.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    Used it for years, but I like the palomar knot best (just bream and bass fishing).

Attachment 150196
    I've used this Palomar knot all of my life, from the largest salmon (chinook) to trout in lakes and streams, learning this knot is extremely easy and it's one of the most effective knots I've ever used. I use to own a willie drift boat and spent lots of time on the rivers after all species of salmon and steelhead, the Palomar was my exclusive knot!

Vendor Sponsor

I found this FG knot to be quite interesting if not a bit complex, I won't bother with all the pics unless they don't paste properly. Here is the article pasted, if it doesn't look right, please let me know and I will try to fix it if I can:

How to Tie the FG Knot in Under 60 Seconds

Published by Luke Simonds on January 24, 2016 under Fishing Knots, Fishing Tips

Raise your hand if you’ve ever said the following…
    “The FG knot is a strong knot, but it takes too long to tie it..”
    Heck, I know I said the exact same thing the very first time I found about it.
    But even though I incorrectly thought that the FG knot took too long to tie, I have been a huge fan of the FG knot ever since it shocked me (and countless others) in my braid to leader knot contest (you can see that braid to leader knot contest here).
    Not only did the FG knot prove to be over 20% stronger than all of my prior favorite braid to leader knots (Double Uni knot, Crazy Alberto knot, and the Albright knot), but it also happens much thinner since the leader line never doubles over.

But the most common complaint against the FG knot that I’ve heard is that it takes to long to tie…
    And I’ll completely agree with that concern if it is being tied the traditional way by manually wrapping the braid around the mono and then tightening the coils together after every 5th coil.
    However, there is a much faster way to tie the FG knot (which also happens to produce a more consistently stronger knot) that allows it all to be completed in under 60 seconds (video proof below).
    How To Tie The FG Knot Quickly

The absolute best and fastest way to tie the FG knot is to thread the leader onto the braid while the braid is under tension.
    Here are the essential steps to the FG Knot:
    1. Apply Constant Tension On The Braid

The easiest way to do this is to bite down on the end of the braid with your teeth (use back teeth so your orthodontist doesn’t get upset), and then lean the rod away from you so that the gravity on the rod will keep a nice constant tension on the line.
    When fishing from a kayak, I often put the tag end of the braid in my mouth and then lightly step on the braid against the kayak so that it creates enough tension to keep the FG coils together.
    And if you’re worried about damaging the line by stepping on it, then another option is to wrap it around a toe.
    2. Thread the Leader Onto The Braid

After getting tension on the braid, the next step is to thread that leader onto the braid.
    And since both hands are free, this step is so much easier than the tradition style of tying the FG knot.
    My favorite way to do it is to have one hand on the coils so I can feel them all settle into place while the other hand moves the leader from side to side.
    Here are some pictorials showing how this is done:
    Note: A full video tutorial of the FG knot is below the pictorial images

3. Use Hitch Knots To Lock Braid Coils Together

The braid coils are what holds the two lines together… once they are on the leader, we now need to tie a separate knot to prevent them from unraveling.
    My favorite knot for this is the basic hitch knot, which is just the act of creating a loop with the tag end of the braid, and then going around the main line before turning going through the loop.
    Then just pull it tight into the braid coils and tie another hitch.

Note: When in a rush, I’ll tie 4 hitch knots and then skip the optional step of tying more hitch knots above the tag end of the leader.
    4. Pull Hard On Main Lines

The braid coils must dig groves into the outer layer of the leader in order to permanently lock itself into place, so it is very important to apply heavy tension to the knot to ensure that the groves are formed.

Important Note: This step needs to be done before cutting the tag end of the leader off… otherwise, the coils may slide off because they typically shift up slightly before forming their groves.
    5. Cut Off Tag End of Leader

Now that the braid coils are locked into place, it’s time to cut off the leader’s tag end.

6. Tie Two More Hitch Knots Above the Leader

The purpose of this step is to create a smoother top of the knot so that the hard edge of the leader’s tag end doesn’t snag onto anything (floated debris, rod guides, etc.).

7. Cut Off Tag End of the Braid

All is complete so time to cut off the braid’s tag end and start fishing.

Video Tutorial – The FG Knot

In case you’re like me and learn better from videos, here’s a detailed tutorial on how to tie the FG knot that we made last year:
    The FG Knot In Less Than 60 Seconds

As I mentioned above, the most common reason we’ve heard from those who watched the video above in YouTube was that it takes too long to tie.
    But the tying was of course done slowly in order to explain the various steps.
    So we thought it would be fun to make a video showing me tying the FG Knot without taking the time to walk through each step, and the result was an FG knot in less than 60 seconds… here is the video:

Note: I was able to complete the FG knot in around 48 seconds when not under the pressure of a camera on me…
    Conclusion

Learning how to tie the FG knot in under 60 seconds is not difficult… it just requires knowing the quick method explained in this video.
    And the most important part to remember is the tightening of the braid coils on the leader before cutting off the leader’s tag because that is what locks the coils in place for good.
    Best of all, it will result in a knot that has tested out to be more than 20% stronger than many very popular knots for connecting a braided line to a mono/fluoro leader.
    Note: The breaking test results change depending on line types used, so I highly recommend trying it out on your favorite gear and seeing if it has a higher breaking point than whichever knot you’re using to see if it’s worth the switch.
    To get a single page printout of the key steps for the FG knot along with the pictorials in this article, click here and I’ll e-mail you a PDF copy.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I learned to tie the fg knot last winter, had plans to try surf fishing for the first time. The fg is kind of like a Chinese finger trap and holds to a stronger pull than the main line [braid] can take. For tying most hooks and some lures I like a Palomar.

Vendor Sponsor

For tying on a hook, the Palomar is IT!

Here's another knot I found for joining line with dissimilar diameters, or composition, this one is called the "Alberto" knot:

The Alberto Knot (Modified Albright)

by Ron (Arby) Bernknopf
    The Alberto Knot is a modified Albright knot and is generally attributed to "Crazy" Alberto Knie. Alberto is a long standing Stripersonline.com contributor, rabid surf fisherman, and has fished all over the world. His articles and pictures have been published in numerous magazines.
    The Alberto knot is an excellent knot for joining different diameter leaders to mono and/or leader-to-braid line connections. I use it for mono-to-Power Pro connections on teaser rigs for plugging and have yet to have the braid slip out or break off (due to knot failure) in the year that I've been using it. I like it better than a uni-to-uni knot connection and with a little practice, will make a small, compact knot which is pretty easy to tie...even in the dark. The only other drawing of this knot to be found on the internet is a quickly drawn picture and is a little difficult to decipher. When I decided to make the drawings in this article, I wanted to make it "Step by Step".
    Step 1. - This is showing a braid line and a thicker leader line. (see figure 1)
    figure 1.
    Step 2. - Make a loop with the leader (or thicker line) and hold between thumb and fore-finger. Insert the line in through the middle of the loop and wrap the braid (or smaller line) around the outside of the loop a minimum of 6 times. Some guys make up to 12 loops, but I find 6 to 8 fine for general purposes. (see figure 2)
    figure 2.
    Step 3. - This is the point where the Albright knot gets modified into an Alberto Knot. (In an Albright Knot, the braided line would be pulled back through the input to the loop at the end of Step 2. above.) For the Alberto modification, loop back the braid towards the point where you started (see Step 2 above) using the same number of loops. It is important to exit the braid back out of the thicker Leader loop in the same direction as you started the knot (see figure 3)
    figure 3.
    Step 4. -Once Step 3 is completed, pull the leader loop and braided line in opposite directions holding all 4 lines and at the same time try to push the braided loops toward the center of the leader loop. None of the loops of braid should jump on top of or over the other loops of braid - this is important! If even one loop jumps out of line, start over or you chance a break off at the worst possible time! Once tight, this will make a small, extremely strong, knot. Snip the excess line as shown below and you are ready to go. (see figure 4)
    figure 4.
    As I mentioned at the start, with a little practice, you will appreciate using this knot. I thank Alberto for showing it to me. Next, he'll have to show me some of his "secret" spots
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    I use the uni to uni knot on standing line to shock. Palomar to terminal tackle and hooks. Rule of thumb from the Old Salts on Hatteras is the shock leader should be 5lb test for every one ounce of lead. Example: 8 oz weight 40lb test shock leader. I run the shock leader around my spool 5 to 10 times.

Boolit Mold
    Modified Albright is a good strong knot is is also one of my favorites.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    This is what I was taught and continue to use
    That's the same I grew up using and still do.

Boolit Grand Master

Palomar or improved clinch depending on app.

Boolit Mold
    Here is a knot nobody mentioned. I use it when tying flies or lures to tippet / leader. It is the Homer Rhodes Knot. It allows the fly or lure to have more natural action in the water. I use it all the time fly fishing and with very light lures, think 1/16 ounce. It does make a difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12