MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to tie a line to a hook?

Perm-Banned

how to tie a line to a hook?

way down at the bottom of cast boolits some one posted about the hangs mans knot and how to tie them. i put my 2 cents in and said that is the knot ive been useing all my 73 years of life to tie my fishing line and hooks together. i think i learned it from a field and stream mag. in study hall back in the 50/s. am i doing it right and do others use the hangmans knot for that also. ive had hooks break but dont remember the knot breaking.

Vendor Sponsor

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

how to tie a line to a hook?

Used it for years, but I like the palomar knot best (just bream and bass fishing).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443669350.514188.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	150196

Boolit Master
    Isn't the top one a blood knot?
    The Palomar is what I use most all the time. I have used it on rod and reel rigged with heavy mono or braided for river fishing. Also used the Palomar on set lines, 40- and up blue cats can put up a good fight and are hard on gear. Never lost one to it yet.

Boolit Master

I use this knot, but have used some of the others too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snell-knot-traditional.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	150198
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

This is what I was taught and continue to use
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Lots of ways to tie on hooks, the best is the 1 that works for you and that you can tie consistently without flaw. There's only been a few times with certain equipment or fishing certain large fish that I've seen where knots make a difference in the action of a lure or how fish strike at it. There's nothing more aggravating than having a fish constantly striking at the fly line leader knot, instead of the fly. At least if the knot gives you have a big fish story.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting the knots. I usually use a tri-line knot or turle knot.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Palomar knot here, I find it even works well on the braided spectra/kevlar lines.

I also often use a loop and tie a basic overhand knot for a dropper, or a sinker. but I have used Palomar knots for hooks for 30 years.

If in doubt, tie up say 5 or 6 hooks with a loop on the far end. Grab your fish scale, put the hook on a strong nail/bolt in you shed/barn/garage. turn the scale on and pull till it breaks.

I normally fish the river wih 20lb and was seeing knot breaking at 25-26 lbs. If it is breaking at less than the rated strength of your line either you tied it wrong or it is the wrong knot.

Perm-Banned
    thanks for the input, i use the top one and it sure looks like a hangmans knot to me with out the 13 loops. all this talk makes me want to go fishing.

Boolit Master

I went to the Palomar this year and it will likely be my go to knot for terminal tackle attachment.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Palomar knot when tying straight to the lure with mono or co-polymer. When I'm running a fluorocarbon leader (saltwater) I use a uni-uni or a crazy alberto knot, and then use a no name loop knot to my lure. No swivels, snaps, or anything of the sort.

Here you go. Knots for everyone. I use Palomar for most stuff but when hook eye is too small I go with Improved Clinch. This link shows animated way make the knot.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Vendor Sponsor

After fishing in heavy surf off the North Carolina outer banks, I think I will switch to the Palomar knot. I have been using the Sandiego for decades, I managed to lose a bottom rig on first cast and do not know if it was from the knot being tied wrong and the line pulling through or if the line broke, the rig came off before the cast was even half done and had I been looking I probably could have went to where it came off and picked it up out of the surf. Oh well, win some lose some.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    After fishing in heavy surf off the North Carolina outer banks, I think I will switch to the Palomar knot. I have been using the Sandiego for decades, I managed to lose a bottom rig on first cast and do not know if it was from the knot being tied wrong and the line pulling through or if the line broke, the rig came off before the cast was even half done and had I been looking I probably could have went to where it came off and picked it up out of the surf. Oh well, win some lose some.
    Were you fishing with a surf rod utilizing heavy weight? Say 10 foot or longer with 2oz or more? If so, what lb test were you using?

Vendor Sponsor

30lb test with 5oz. weight and double hooks set with bunker. Okuma EVx 1002MH rod which is 10' and fairly stiff. It felt like the line broke where I had it tethered back with my finger while casting. I know when you throw a surf rod, just the centrifugal force of the weight can easily become more than the line is capable of handling. Even more so than when you hook a big fish and reel him in.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    30lb test with 5oz. weight and double hooks set with bunker. Okuma EVx 1002MH rod which is 10' and fairly stiff. It felt like the line broke where I had it tethered back with my finger while casting. I know when you throw a surf rod, just the centrifugal force of the weight can easily become more than the line is capable of handling. Even more so than when you hook a big fish and reel him in.
    Learn how to tie a good line to line knot, like the uni to uni knot and then start tying on a shock leader. I do a lot of surf fishing, and my main surf rod is a 12' Ugly-Stik wearing a Shimano Baitrunner 12000D. I keep it spooled up with 20lb mono, but I always have a 6 foot 50lb mono shock leader tied straight to the 20lb mono. I've never broken off when casting. Try that before you switch up your knot. Heavier lines don't lend themselves well to the palomar knot unless it's braid. The San Diego Jam knot is one of the best knots you can use for surf fishing with heavy lines. Just reduce the amount of wraps with the heavier line and be sure to lubricate well with saliva. I hope this helps.

http://flyspoke.blogspot.com/2010/01/davy-knot.html
    Best knot I know. Lost lots of flies from back cast snap with all the others (even San Diego Jam knot), none with this. Had a 10# drum on a 20# SW fly tippet, several large cats (8 wt fly rod), foul hooked striper during flood flow on Texoma. Only had one pull loose when I caught the fountain power cable in the local pond.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I have always used an improved Clinch until last fall when I learned the Palomar and started using it. I'm lazy/impatient and the Palomar is fast and easy!

Just learned the knot described here as the Davy last week on youtube so will trying it in the near future.

Both far easier than the Clinch
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy

I use the Palomar knot for everything. I think today's lines are smoother and undo faster. Several years ago I lost a lot of lures using the old knots. I have never lost anything to the Palomar knot since using it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast