RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: E-Wax shelf life

Boolit Master

E-Wax shelf life

Just reading the some lube making threads made me remember that I should have some E-wax around.
    Found the invoice, purchased in 2009.

Here is a link to the supplier's page-
    http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=183
    ------------
    Appearance: Off White Pastille
    Odor: Characteristic
    Solubility: Oil
    Storage: Tightly Sealed, Protect from Heat / Freezing
    Shelf: 24 Months
    GUIDELINES
    Usage: 2.0 to 10.0% *
    Processing: Add to Oil Phase and Heat to 170F
    -------------

Is this good for making boolit lube and would it still be good after 6 years?

I have no use for it and need to clean things out (packrat syndrome here).
    I believe it has been stored inside it's whole life, but I cannot guarantee that it didn't spend time in the garage.
    For reference older oils that I still have are good, nothing off or rancid ( I have a lot, used to sell candles/soaps and experimented with body products).

I will look at it when I get chance, it is in my storage center (parents basement, some things never change).

If it would be useful to anyone I am thinking about listing it for sale in smaller quantities (I bought 25lbs, didn't use much, price has increased, currently same price for 15lbs that I paid for 25lbs).

Maybe a site fundraiser, pay shipping and then donate whatever you think it would be worth to the site.

Otherwise I should just throw in the towel and toss it.

Matt

Boolit Grand Master
    I think you could probably use it, but it will take someone with more knowledge about waxes and oils than I to tell you how.

My suggestion would be to pick a fairly simple lube with three or four ingredients; make a control sample of the original recipe, then substitute your wax for one of the others.

Good Luck, fifteen pounds should make a lot of lube.

Robert

Banned

Some of the best wax I ever used for bullet lube was likely produced in WWII and spend much of its storage life in the Nevada desert. Ask Lar45 about it sometime.

Gear

Moderator Emeritus

from your link
    " Unlike some emulsifying waxes, Emulsifying Wax does not deteriorate on heating, experiencing only a slight alteration in color at temperatures up to 150-152°C for two hours. Under these severe conditions, it may lose 2-3% in weight with slight hardening of the wax."
    I wonder what kind of wax/waxes makes up "Emulsifying Wax"?
    and no doubt they add oils or such...from the above comment from your link, I suspect that info is
    proprietary. If I were you and planned to use and/or sell/giveaway this wax, I'd want to know this info and/or provide that info to those who would receive the wax.

also, I have some beeswax, bought from a member (not randyrat), that was touted to be decades old and was "out of the rain and sun" was about all that was said about it's storage...still is a fine ingredient for boolit lube
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

-I think it is food/ veg oil derived emulsifier, hence the shelf life of 24 months away from heat and freezing.
    -Not good for mixing with any type of petro (I could be wrong)
    -It would mix well with vegetable oils/ animal fats to make Black powder lubes, but keep the shelf life in mind.
    -Very high cost, unless you have a cheap source.
    - Beeswax will do it better at a far less cost, mix with Veg oils, Petro, and other waxes also stable for life and beyond.

BEESWAX is the cats meaw

To the question--- If it hasn't separated and smells ok I think it is still good. Someone could use it for candles or similar things.