Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Taurus Curve

Boolit Master

Taurus Curve

One of the gun rags had an article about the Taurus Curve this month. One thing that caught my eye was the barrel muzzle/crown was curved to fit the rounded profile of the front of the slide. There was about a 1/4" inch in length from the top of the crown to the bottom of the crown.
    This goes against everything I know about firearm accuracy. The article said nothing about it. I thought maybe the rifling was counter bored to the crown.
    Anybody know how the barrel is made on this firearm.

Boolit Master
    If you look closer, you will see the muzzle is counter bored so that the rifling ends square to the bore. It is only the over sized portion that is at an angle.

Boolit Grand Master
    And we thought Glocks were homely......
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    9.3x62AL... I just sprayed tea on my keyboard! You are so right
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Another ingenious solution to an non-existent "problem".
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I want one. It'd be nice in 9x18 makarov.

Boolit Grand Master

Article is next up in my "library", looking forward to reading about it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I was sort of interested until I found all the articles about Taurus Customer Service or should I say No Service - They used to be good but everything recently was a negative.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    You do have to give them some credit, they tried something new. Us gun owners tend to be pretty traditional, and anything outside the box is to be ridiculed. I saw a thread on these guns when they first announced, and everybody piled on how terrible it was. Even tho obviously none had handled or shot the thing.

But it is Taurus, as pointed out their customer service is pretty bad, right up there with comcast. I doubt very many experienced people will be willing to be the guinea pig to sort out the issues that will crop up. And we know there will be issues, I wonder if gun companies even bother to fire new designs anymore, 'looks good on paper, ship em out'. It will be a crop of new people who find out the hard way what value the warranty has, and will then dislike Taurus for a long time.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe it could have a smaller footprint. They curved the frame but the mags and mag well are straight. I'm no engineer, but couldn't the mags have been curved too, and the frame a lot thinner? Maybe the width of the slide makes it pointless to have a thinner frame.

I agree, it's ugly, but it's a carry gun. For the most part, nobody should ever see it. I'll take function over form any day of the week if it'll save my life. Any innovation to make a gun easier to carry (and therefore more likely to be carried) should be welcomed, IMO. I must admit, this particular gun has at least caught my attention.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I do admire Taurus for their willingness to go in a new direction, but is a mini .380 such as Taurus' own 738 really that hard to conceal?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I handled a couple at the SHOT Show,,, and felt it wasn't for me. It just didn't fit my hands & I feel the idea is kinda like what is said above. "the fix to a non-existent problem."
    I know the concept was to build an easier to conceal handgun for the shape of a person's body. My question to the Rep was; "Who's body?" We are not all built the same & our body shapes are different. He stammered a reply about how it can rest in a better position on the hip. My reply was that most folks adjust their CCW holster to where it fits THEM,,, and where they are comfortable.
    I chose to put this gun on the "ignore" list.
    And that was before I thought about their customer service & how bad some of their guns have been when shipped.

Boolit Grand Master
    There was a time that I had patience with things like poor/non-existent customer service, and didn't mind turning wrenches on things that broke or finishing construction on things not complete (see "Ruger 45 Colt Blackhawk" for further reference). That time is in past tense, and is dead and stinkin'. A product needs to be right, or needs to be made right after the sale in a timely fashion--or I'm uninterested. Yes, Ruger has cranked out a few losers, but in most cases they make it right--so Ruger still figures highly in my gun safe. Few of my existing S&Ws were made after 1980, and only one of my Colts. ANY Taurus product will get zero consideration from me. What little patience reserves I have remaining as I commence my sixth decade were diminished greatly by the last 6-7 years of gun--ammo--and componentry shortages and absences that The Makers refuse to address in a significant way. Ruger and a few others are the only firms retaining even a vestige of good will from me. Generally, a walk through the ocean of their collective initiative would scarcely soak your ankles--so Taurus' poor reputation is only slightly worse than that of the bulk of the companies serving this hobby field.

No, there will be no Taurus Curves or Straightaways or Switchbacks in my future.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I owned one Taurus, PT1911 , found what their Life Time Service means. That is how long it takes to get it.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    I owned one Taurus, PT1911 , found what their Life Time Service means. That is how long it takes to get it.
    I guess it's not what it used to be.

I had a taurus .357 that got thrown during a scuffle and hit a metal railing knocking the cylinder out of alignment.

Taurus installed a new cylinder and crane, retimed the action and reblued the whole gun. It took 7 weeks turnaround, but I was very clear the gun was damaged not defective. They charged me nothing.

A buddy decided he was going to see how hot he could load 9mm. He used clark-level loads over and over. He broke maybe 6 locking wedges, bulged a barrel, cracked a slide, blew a magazine apart with a case head separation. Every part was replaced free of charge. They stopped even having him mail in the broken ones, he just called them up and they sent him parts for free. He eventually started to build an entire second gun.

I guess those were the good old days.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Another ingenious solution to an non-existent "problem".
    MyGun you're absolutely right but if it takes off like the 45/410 revolvers. Taurus will once again show their marketing genius. I just have a feeling it will sell like hot cakes.

As a lefty, I feel I need to quote Mr Horse from Ren and Stimpy..."No sir, I don't like it."

Boolit Buddy

I think they recalled these.

Boolit Grand Master

It's different. It's also based on the Kel-Tec design, should be a good gun if QA is held to a high standard. I personally wouldn't have one but I think it has potential.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.