Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Heart shot @ 175 fps!

Boolit Master

Heart shot @ 175 fps!

Maybe you guys won't mind too much but since my recurve CASTS my 550 grn arrows @ a sizzling 175fps I thought you might like to see what a sharp zwickey 2 blade eskimo does at that speed. A little buck 130 lbs gave me a perfect 15 yd pose
    Sunday afternoon and this is what happened....complete pass-through. It doesn't happen this way too often. God has blessed me with another year afield, my 45th with stick and string. Attachment 150089
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Most excellent, my friend!! However.....I thought you couldn't kill a deer at less than 315fps with a bow?? That's what the advertisement said!!!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fantastic! Brings back lots of memories for me. Have a couple of discs that give me fits if i try to shoot mine anymore. I truly miss it. Nice pass through shot and congrats!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Good shootin' Hogtamer!

I was thinkin' 175 FPS was a tad slow for a slug... Then I thought maybe a bow cuz you said you was going bowhunting. Just like shooting... I usually get there second time (I blame my slow brain on genetics).

I haven't got out to do much at all. Truck still apart but heads are supposed to be done tomorrow so maybe some fall turkey hunting with the bow when I can get out.

Still got the Zlugs waiting on me to load 'em up and shoot 'em which I plan to do once I have the truck running.

I did build a bowyer's bench in my downtime so now to build some bows!

Anyway, I digress.

Good to see you being successful in the field with stick and string. That sizzling 175 FPS did the trick for you as it has done for many of our ancestors. In fact I suspect that 175 FPS is into "magnum" territory compared to many bows used to hunt in days gone by.

Again, good shooting and congratulations on a good hunt.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Congrats
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    Great shot with the (proper tool)

Boolit Master
    Great shot! Gongrats.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

HT,

Good for you!

BB

Bravo Hogtamer, just think the stick & string still works after all these milleniums and quite effectively. Good shot, which brings like many tasty dinners.

Take a peek at this Hogtamer,
    Last edited by OnHoPr; 10-01-2015 at 02:39 AM.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    I believe it happens quite a bit when you are shooting heavy arrows. Mine are 600grs running 208fps. I have only shot 2 caribou with these. The first went in a hind quarter and came out the front shoulder. The second was a little farther than I thought and the arrow went just under the chest and broke the front leg bone as it passed through. The 2 blade Zwikey works very well for me.

Boolit Master
    Nice shot!

Boolit Master

Thanks OnHopr. Over all these years nothing has satisfied my inner yearning to hunt free, to understand my place in God's creation in silent communion with nature, to appreciate seemingly simple things in life, than the pursuit of game with a bow. The flight and lethality of a well tuned arrow never cease to amaze, mystify and complete me in a way like nothing else. But what's all that white stuff in that video?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

In Remembrance

HA! Awesome!
    Like longbow said, at first I thought "OH, he must mean 175 YARDS" (which would have been a great shot with a slug)

Still a nice picture and a great hunt.

Deer season must be early for you guys. I still have a while before it opens up in TX

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Congrats! And that's fast for a recurve! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    But what's all that white stuff in that video?
    That's what you call snake, scorpion, spider, bug, and mosquito repellent. It also makes deer easier to spot their movement on stand and scouting for the real fresh sign. It makes for easier tracking after the hit if necessary. Now if it stays above 20 and the winds are gentle it is rather nice for most northerners as long as you don't get wet and stay dry. The only time you sweat is if it is to deep or dragging a long way. It can also make for quiet slippin through the pines and ridges like after a rain if it doesn't get melted then frozen. It also makes for slip slidin drags. It also allows to hang deer for a week to a month to age, ummmmm. If it is to deep or too cold, well then it is just as miserable as the fore mentioned fine attributes of the south. I have hunted with a few boys from the south and @ 40 to 45 degrees they were freezing, lol, I don't think they could of handled late doe or muzzle loader season where 10 degrees with 20 mph winds in a farm field and the wind chill can get to -20, get a bit nippy you might say. Though, I would probably have a heat stroke if I hunted from the GA to AZ zone. I get a chuckle out of some of those boys on Outdoor TV from the south when they say its colder than a witch and it is only 40 degrees out. I seen Roger Raglin say one time "I'd shoot that buck, but the bullet would probably freeze before it got to him." LOL
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    Thats just great, I started with a long bow then recurve and I know no deer kill is easy with stick and string, congrats!
    Look twice, shoot once.