Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Picked up another Vice

Boolit Master

Picked up another Vice

That was 6 months ago and the 6" Vice has been sitting gathering dust until today. I took the 12 gauge steel skid that used to be under a 20KW generator and welded a 6 inch coupling into it. Cut a length of 6 inch pipe, bent some brackets from 3/16 strap and welded them on to hold the vice. I added 1/4x2 inch steel strap underneath to stiffen it up. It weighs twice what I can pick up, good thing the pipe unscrews. Figure I can stand on it and wrestle most anything. Still needs paint and a pin through the coupling to stop rotation but it's done. and someday I'll find a US vice that lives up to the stand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vice1.jpg   Vice2.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

Holy Cow......Be careful were you place that beast....I am envious.....good job!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

That would be a "vise", smoking, gambling and chasing women are "vices" like in Miami Vice!
    LOL

Wih all the work he did, I'd say that, that vise is his vice

Frank

Boolit Master

Good stuff Mal Paso; BTW, where'd you get that great avatar of Dr Johnny Fever?

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals

I have broken a lot of vises... until I got a Columbian from Boeing surplus.

I dunno what it is made of, but it must have come from Superman's home planet.

Moderator Emeritus

You can deliver that to my new shop!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    You can deliver that to my new shop!
    Really!!!!

I was looking at 6 inch vices online. Decent ones were in the $400 - $1,200 range. Whoa!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy

I like to see someone else who overbuilds! Great craftsmanship!

Moderator Emeritus

I need to start hitting some auctions and look for one. I should have taken my dad's after he died but my little brother was making a stink over it. No clue why he wants it, he is the biggest klutz on earth with tools and never builds anything!

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    The garage journal forum has a thread about bench vises that is over 1000 pages long.
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=44782

There are lots of old vises on ebay.... but the shipping is high.
    The best would be to find one locally on Craig's list.

In Remembrance

That`s a nice vice stand you`ve made and should last for a long time. At my `last` retirement I brought home welded to my metal tool wagon 2 machinest 6" vices and a large frame Rigid pipe vice besides the 50` air reel and 50` electrical cord reel. I`ve since then removed 1 machinest vice to another wood work bench along with the air reel and the electrical reel. My boss kinda looked down his nose at me for awhile then signed a release paper for me to take the work box home. It took a fork truck to load it in my truck and a tractor with front end loader to unload it, glad it has wheels on the box.Robert

Boolit Master

Yes, nice ViSe. As others thought, when you wrote viCe I assumed you'd gone and bought mold and dies for a caliber you didn't own...
    BDGR

Boolit Master
    Now that would make some of the guys envy if you called it your front rest for rifle at the range! If the gun doesn't shoot better, just threaten to squeeze it. Nice vice!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post

I have broken a lot of vises... until I got a Columbian from Boeing surplus.

I dunno what it is made of, but it must have come from Superman's home planet.
    I just saw this thread today. I relly like this post, especially due to the poster's name being "Clark"

Vendor Sponsor

I like to use an old space saver wheel, cut the tire off it and weld a piece of 2" pipe into the center, put a piece of 1/4" plate on top and mount stuff like bench grinders, vise, etc.. But the base Mal Paso made is plenty beef for the job!

Priced a 6" Wilton vise lately??? $2500 ~ $3200 bucks for certain models!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

I like to use an old space saver wheel, cut the tire off it and weld a piece of 2" pipe into the center, put a piece of 1/4" plate on top and mount stuff like bench grinders, vise, etc.. But the base Mal Paso made is plenty beef for the job!

Priced a 6" Wilton vise lately??? $2500 ~ $3200 bucks for certain models!

Pin through the coupling? Hehe.. TAAAAAAACK!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    I'm a man of many vices.