RepackboxLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Loading Steel Shot Waterfowl

Boolit Master

Loading Steel Shot Waterfowl

We are looking to start hunting a few groups of local geese.

What are you using for 40-50 yds. shots?

I've got a full choke 12 ga. throwing 1 1/4 load of #4's shot, at 40 yds. a heavy 22-24 inch circle count in the circle is 150 average about 180 to 200 total count in the 30" circle out of the 240 total count of. I have 6 boxes of these to use up.

Is this load of 4's this heavy enough for Geese at range of 40-50 yds? with about 5-6 hits up to say 12.

I tried to pattern t's and bb and too many wholes in the pattern at 40 yds. Older 1 1/8 loads pattern is just all over at 30" and only a few groups of heavy enough for a 2-3 hits at 40 yds.

Any one loading steel 3" ? What are your loads > hulls, wad, and powder, shot size? Not looking to load 3 1/2 " Don't own one.

Thanks !! Teddy

Boolit Master
    Not even close teddy. No 4 steel sucks!
    In a 12 bore you will want to go with size T shot, geese are big tuff thick feathered animals and tough to get a pellet through all those feathers. Been there, done that.
    Me, I use what's maximum by law. 10 gauge 3-1/2 magnum Remington sp-10 loaded with a case full of size T or 2-1/2 ounce load of #2 heavy shot.
    Steel is much less dense and lighter than lead. The rule of thumb is go two sizes larger when using steel. In my experience, just go straight to T or F size.
    Hope this helps.
    Lab
    Edit, just re read your post. You do not want to use a full choke with steel. Lead compresses and steel does not.
    Also, be forewarned, if you use heavi shot, it is MUCH harder than any barrel. You will get scoring in the bore. Mylar wraps inside your wad help. Steel also uses a different and tougher wad.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    50 yards is a big stretch for geese. Realistically, try to keep them inside of 30-35 yds.
    Try a modified choke and I'll bet your patterns tighten up too.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Teddy, I know how this is gonna sound but I'm being serious. Labradigger is right about those birds. I hate steel shot of all sorts but those loads you've got are perfectly adequate if you do one thing......shoot 'em in the head and yes it can be done. They're so big one tends not to lead enough. It may take you a few shots to get the hang of it but if increase your lead significantly relative to the head instead of the whole bird you will begin to stone 'em. Just a few pellets in the head and neck gets it done. Use the tightest choke. Did I say I hate steel shot?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Last year I killed 60 large Canadian Geese with 68 shots using a 12 ga. 3 1/2" with BBB at 1550 FPS in a modified choke. I am set up to load steel but I find it cheaper to puchase from Rogers Sports. Fiocchi is a great value https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...2-gauge-3.html Free shipping.

With steel you want at least 1500 FPS and more is better for killing power.

I used to load the first round in the chamber with 2's for the early morning ducks but the 2's wouldn't always get the job done on large geese so the only time I use 2's are when I am only after ducks. For Snow geese I use BB's or 1's.

4's are way to light for large geese. All my geese are shot over decoys at 35 yards or under. On a 11 to 12 pound goose I was finding 2's would penetrate the breast muscle but stop at the rib cage. BBB's would pass through or stop under the skin on the off side.

If you are pass shooting at 40 to 50 yards you need some type of heavy shot.

I only hunt fields now days but when I used to hunt over water I used 4's to finish off wounded geese. It was very rare when I could get it done with only one shot. State law is that the boat has to be anchored to shoot from it. We would run the boat up on the goose until it dove under the water than throw the anchor. The goose would normally surface 20 or 30 yards away and I would start hammering with the 4's. On a non-cripple using #4 steel I would aim for the head and limit my range to 25 yards.

Most of the new guns are choked based on steel usage. The older guns not rated for steel can be damaged by shooting steel.

http://www.goosehuntingchat.com/foru...p?f=14&t=17318

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com...story1009.html

http://blog.winchester.com/2014/the-...ads-for-geese/

http://www.goosehuntingchat.com/foru...ize-18693.html

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...149526&start=0
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-29-2015 at 10:10 PM.

Boolit Master

Each gun has its own flavor so to speak,but#4's have served me well on geese as long as you know your pattern and stay within that limits
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 09-29-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Each gun has its own flavor so to speak,but#4's have served me well on geese as long as you know your pattern and stay within that limits
    Friend is telling me the same thing, 4's are the best out to say 45 yds. max!! He is telling me no feet no shooting.
    He is using Imp. Cyl. and Mod. I tell him that I used 7 1/2 and Imp. Cyl. for a lot of pheasants, as I like the head and wing shots. the 7 1/2 would not tare into the birds body like 5's.

Boolit Master
    Prices are good for the Fiocchi Thanks. What is shipping on them about 35-40 $$ ?

Read most of the posting and I seeing they (some) are having the same thing I found, pattern holes with larger shot at 40 plus yds..

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Last year I killed 60 large Canadian Geese with 68 shots using a 12 ga. 3 1/2" with BBB at 1550 FPS in a modified choke. I am set up to load steel but I find it cheaper to puchase from Rogers Sports. Fiocchi is a great value https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...2-gauge-3.html Free shipping.

With steel you want at least 1500 FPS and more is better for killing power.

I used to load the first round in the chamber with 2's for the early morning ducks but the 2's wouldn't always get the job done on large geese so the only time I use 2's are when I am only after ducks. For Snow geese I use BB's or 1's.

4's are way to light for large geese. All my geese are shot over decoys at 35 yards or under. On a 11 to 12 pound goose I was finding 2's would penetrate the breast muscle but stop at the rib cage. BBB's would pass through or stop under the skin on the off side.

If you are pass shooting at 40 to 50 yards you need some type of heavy shot.

I only hunt fields now days but when I used to hunt over water I used 4's to finish off wounded geese. It was very rare when I could get it done with only one shot. State law is that the boat has to be anchored to shoot from it. We would run the boat up on the goose until it dove under the water than throw the anchor. The goose would normally surface 20 or 30 yards away and I would start hammering with the 4's. On a non-cripple using #4 steel I would aim for the head and limit my range to 25 yards.

Most of the new guns are choked based on steel usage. The older guns not rated for steel can be damaged by shooting steel.

http://www.goosehuntingchat.com/foru...p?f=14&t=17318

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com...story1009.html

http://blog.winchester.com/2014/the-...ads-for-geese/

http://www.goosehuntingchat.com/foru...ize-18693.html

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...149526&start=0

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    50 yards is a big stretch for geese. Realistically, try to keep them inside of 30-35 yds.
    Try a modified choke and I'll bet your patterns tighten up too.
    The pattern of 4's is at 40 yds is tight. I would take it turkey hunting, aiming at 40, yds right at center, pattern is just over 20 inches out to about 30 inches, then shot is hit and miss. Even the 24-30 inch area is a little weak for coverage. Past two weeks we patterned different loads and shot, steel and lead. This is by far the tightest pattern.

Out to 47 yds. the pattern is still tight, this is where my eyes said that would be a far shot (maybe too far, My limit so to speak), as things were looking like it was to far. Always have a good judge for distance. But in the heat of the hunt we all get shoot happy, and shoot a little far.

Boolit Master
    Here is what I'm shooting. Gun is a an 870 Wingmaster 3" Magnum straight full choke barrel. Shell is Remington load 1 1/4 load of 4 shot.

I edit when I get to the farm and look at shell box, and recount or take a picture of paper from patterning.

IMO as mentioned above, don't look at the bird for you lead, picture the head/neck region as like the body of a teal or main aiming point. Even at 40+ those 4's pushed fast will do a number on the head/neck along with the forward wing section. Those sections are harder and don't have the fluff of the body which the shot will like to hit instead of the bulky body feathers.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    Prices are good for the Fiocchi Thanks. What is shipping on them about 35-40 $$ ?

Shipping is free. Look at the left hand corner of the add.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Teddy, if you're going with 3" 12 at 40-50 yards, think really hard about biting the bullet for Hevi, bismuth, or one of the other non steel loads. If steel, if you dork around at those distances with 4's or 2's you're just begging for flying cripples and sailers,,,,,,,.

labradigger and M-tecs are telling you gospel. Steel shot is a poor substitute, and the 3 inch payload with a reduced number of the correct sized big fat low density shot has always been thin IMHO for anything farther than 25-30 yards, and as said, must be pushed fast to try to make up for the loss of mass.

http://shotshell.drundel.com/steel.htm
    Last edited by Hamish; 09-30-2015 at 03:49 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I shoot double barrel 10 gauge guns the most and I hand load Bismuth #1's so far 1 1/4 ounce by weight . I've killed Canada Geese out to 45-50 yards with this in my old guns . Oh yeah all of my 10's are for the 2 7/8" shells .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Steel BBB for Geese and #3 Steel for ducks. The more velocity the deadlier, but for most it is cheaper to buy
    four boxes of BBB factory and shoot the entire winter and not worry.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95