MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: welding on muzzle device

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    The BATF would not let me Weld a Cutts Compinsator on to a Shotgun barrel that I have that has a Buldge starting at 17 1/2 inches.
    I was going to cut the barrel off at the start of the Buldge, then Weld the Compinsator on to bring it back to 18" so it would be legal.
    They told me.The Barrel has to be 18" and we dont care if you weld on 20 feet of pipe, the barrel has to be 18" or regester it as a SBS and pay the Tax.
    Any one want to buy a Berreta AL-2 28" modified choke barrel that has a Buldge in it. I still have it.
    I had to buy a new Barrel.
    They seem to flip flop back and forth on this issue.
    But it seems like if you cut off a barrel , they wont let you weld something on to it.
    But if the barrel was less than 16" on a rifle, Manufactured that way when it was imported, then they allow the importer to weld on a Break to make it Legal to import.
    IE; the CZ -58 imported by CZ-USA
    The reason that's illegal isn't because of how you extended it, but rather it's because you cut the barrel off in order to extend it. The moment you cut the barrel you illegally create an unregistered SBS. Fixing it afterward by extending the barrel permanently doesn't erase the fact that you already created an illegal SBS. There is a legal way to do this that involves sending the damaged barrel out to be extended so possession is no longer a factor when it's cut during the repair.

Sorry I just noticed someone else beat me to it.
    Last edited by destrux; 10-05-2015 at 04:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Short barrels are not a controlled or regulated until they are attached to a rifle or a shotgun action. If it is attached onto an action not designated as a short barrel or handgun you have now created a short barreled firearm.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    I don't even want to call them any more. Don't trust them! rifle 161/2 in. solid steel shotgun 18 in. solid steel or I don't touch it.
    +1

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12