Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 91/30 questions again

Boolit Master
    JMHO, but I believe that you are wasting your time and patches if you're expecting Hoppe's #9 to have any effect on copper fouling.

Cast Hunter

I have found that the Outer's "Foul out" apparatus works well for extremely fouled bores if you're willing to spend the $ on one.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    I think it's about as clean as I can get it. I gave the bore a good scrubbing with a stainless steel spring brush and then followed up with a bronze brush. Gave the bore a good 20 passes with the brushes along with some patching.
    Haven't seen any green on a dry patch after an overnight wet patch which is the only way I can tell if the copper is out. I might do another 6 hour ammonia soak to follow up the cleaning. The bore still looks rough but I'll need to deal with that later, have some other projects that need attention. Thanks for all the help and advice, still need to bed the tang before shooting.

Boolit Bub

Bore Cleaning

Back in the 1980's our Hi-Power Club members got our $112.50 M-1 Garands from the DCM. They were in medicore shape- they would shoot 5-6" groups at 100 yds. The NRA suggested swabbing the bore wth a couple of very wet brush fulls of Hoppes #9 and let it set in the bore overnight. Use a muzzle guide and a Dewey one piece stainless steel cleaning rod made for the M-1. Make sure you have the rifle upside down in a 2 x4 cradle with the muzzle lower than than the butt. Every morning run dry patches thru the bore and reapply the Hoppes. Let it set all day and when you come home from work dry the bore again and re wet it and let it set until morning. After about 5 days off wet patch cycles the patches will come out tan instead of green/aqua. Dry patch the bore and take it to the range. My group sizes were cut in 1/2 with GI M-2 ball ammo. M-1 barrels were made kinda fast & rough during wartime. The barrels act like little cheese graters taking off some bullet jacket with every shot. The Rapid Fire Stage of the Hi-Power Course worsens the condition. Soaking the bore between Matches and practice keeps the groups tight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12