Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chronograph Reccomendations

Boolit Master

Chronograph Reccomendations

Another birthday has come around. This year I am thinking that for a present from my wife and son I would like to get a chronograph. After reading reviews on Midway and some of the older threads here I don't have a clear direction. For every review that is positive there is a negative review.

My requirements:
    • Speed range to handle from 22LR to 30-378 or 22-250
    • Connectivity to PC
    • Will be used indoor and outdoor
    • Suggestions?

Boolit Buddy
    Caldwell - hook up to my iPhone easy.

I have a Pact Xp Professional. I like it and it works well, but I can't say that I'd recommend it. Years ago I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything Pact made, but now it seems that their customer service and support has really gone down. I tried to order a new set of sky screens last year and received no help at all from them. I'm hoping that they'll come around. I really hate talking bad about them, I used to be very brand loyal to them.

If I buy a another chrono it'll probably be a Magento Speed. I really like their concept.

Boolit Master
    Any additional recommendations?

Even though I have a ProChrono, it just gathers dust, as I only use the Magnetospeed anymore. It doesn't strictly meet your "connectivity" to PC requirement, but it does allow you to remove the microSD card and download the CSV file to your computer for editing in Excel or similar programs.

Only thing it doesn't do is autoloading pistols, which is what I keep the ProChrono to handle.

I figured someone else would post by now. Years ago I had a Chrony brand chronograph, I believe it was a F1. I'm really not sure. It folded up real nice and all but I never got it to work well. The main thing I disliked about it was if you some how manage to shoot it which you will eventually all of its guts are in the unit. Mine never got shot, probably only because I never used it.

What ever you do hope ahead and get one with IR screens, this will help make it work better. My experience with chronographs involved a lot of trial and error. They don't like being in direct sunlight or under trees. The only way I can get my Pact to work on a sunny day is to make a canopy out of poster board and put it over the top to cut down on glare. That's where the the IR screens come in if it's to cloudy or late in the afternoon they provide their own light source. If it's to sunny outside you can put the screens in a cardboard box and still shoot. Just something to think about.

Also make sure you can get replacement parts sooner or later you'll put a hole in something. A completely self contained unit like the Chrony's, Competition Shooting products, or the Caldwell puts the most expensive part right in the line of fire. If you shoot a Chrony I believe that they will fix it for half of the original cost, I'm not sure about the others, that's just something to consider. The main reason I bought my Pact was because I really liked the Pact brand and Pact used to have a warranty and customer service that was great. I've managed to make mine work well and I love the printer interface, however if you try to download your shot strings to a computer the software is out of date so you have to figure out how to make it work and once you get it into the computer it's just a bunch of numbers that you have to put on a spreadsheet to make it useful. I normally just print out my strings an past them in a note book.

I wish I could be more helpful.

Vann

Boolit Master
    I was just on Magnetospeed's website. I have some concern that a few of my rifles (30-378, 416Rigby, 458WinMag) may be a bit too hot for it. That $400 price tag is a bit high for me right now too.

I wouldn't let a few bad reviews sway my opinion when it comes to buying a chronograph. I would go more by buying a trusted name and parts availability.

I know that sounds strange to some but a chronograph is a very simple machine and most of the problems with them are operator error and light conditions. Midway has several on sale right now, if you haven't already checked them out you should. At least with Midway if you have problems with it they'll work with you and may let you change it out.

One other thing chronographs eat batteries like they are free. I believe that causes more errors with them then most people realize. I carry a multimeter with me and check my batteries often. I've had them go bad in as little as one or two hours.

In Remembrance
    Check out the Oehler Research 35P. One of the best around. It will stand alone or be hooked up to Windows based computer. It has a built in printer and uses 3 skyscreens. The third screen gives you a proof channel for readings. Reads vel. from pellet rifle to 220 swift and just about anything in between.

Boolit Master
    I am surprised nobody mentioned the CED Millennium chronograph.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/773...nograph-system

My experience - I have a chrony base model - I have friends with light sensor's of different brands - the one friend has a magnetospeed - from what we have been able to tell it is more accurate than any of the light detector models.
    But the Magnetospeed won't do our handguns - just rifles - and you have
    more time setting up to one rifle than you do with any light sensor.
    There is a doppler radar unit coming out but from reviews I have seen it's
    not the perfect solution either.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523...ProductFinding

If I was going to spend the money right now and I didn't care about handguns
    I'd do magnetospeed - if I didn't have the money for that or had handguns I wanted I would get the F-1 Master Chrony as best bang for the bucks.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I have a Lab Radar on order and it is suppose to be delivered this October.

The way I see it is even if it misses some of the down range velocities, the set up with out having to finagle with setting up your target, then aligning the rifle with the target, and then the aligning of the chronograph screens with the bullet path.

Just being able to set your target up and point the unit at the target and start shooting will make chrongraphing a load much easier.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    I have a Lab Radar on order and it is suppose to be delivered this October..
    Did you receive conformation of this? Everyone I know got the email about backordered parts and how it wouldn't ship until around Christmas.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Beta Chrony. Nice unit and I did get the PC interface and the printer. Software is intuitive. If you're a casual user and not looking for the top of the shelf, this might give you a starting point.

I'm satisfied.

Haven't shot it yet.....
    I can not know what I don't know.

Boolit Master
    I'm leaning toward either the CED M2 or Magnetospeed V3. The Pro/Con as I see it:

Magnetospeed
    Pro
    The good to bad review ratio certainly favors the Magnetospeed
    All setup is behind the firing line (easier to use on public range)
    Immune to light condition problems
    Con
    Price
    Can't be used with semi-auto pistols
    Concerned about heavy recoil rifles (416 Rigby, 458WinMag)
    Concerned about damage to the unit from blast from my 30-378 muzzle brake

CED M2
    Pro
    Lower cost. Can buy the CED, additional IR screens, and have enough to get a new mold
    More established company, more likely to be around in 5 years for parts
    Works with all handguns and rifles
    Con
    More difficult setup at public ranges
    Light level problems
    Quite a few negative reviews on Midway

I suppose, either way is not a bad birthday present from the Wife and Son.

I've used my Magnetospeed extensively on 300 Win Mag and 300 WSM without issue, although it sounds like you have even larger calibers. The V3 appears to have new reinforcing material in the blast area not present in V1 or V2. I've owned all three, and V3 fixes a lot of the earlier issues. I am fortunate enough to know one of the co-founders and gave him quite a bit of feedback that they incorporated into the latest product (like dual connector ports bottom / back to avoid getting blocked by long AR handguards). They are a very good group of folks, geeky engineers/inventors that wanted to build a better mousetrap, which I believe they have.

I say all that to say you should email or call them and get their thoughts regarding your concerns. Their response may help you decide. Looks like they may have a new lower priced model ($189 MSRP) which might be the answer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Did you receive conformation of this? Everyone I know got the email about backordered parts and how it wouldn't ship until around Christmas.
    Yes I did get confirmation that it will be shipped in October.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    Yes I did get confirmation that it will be shipped in October.
    You are one of the lucky ones then

Boolit Buddy
    I have a very old Oehler, not the 35. I use it a lot; have even clocked arrows. Paid $300 for it 30 years ago and it's been worth every penny. If you can afford it and plan to mess around with different guns and different loads over time, I'd highly recommend you pay Oehler's toll.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWT View Post
    Any additional recommendations?
    Yeah, try not to shoot the Chrony.