Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Gps

"Moderator Emeritus"

Gps

After about 10 years I need to replace my trusty E-Trex Legend. I'm in a new hunting area and its pretty broken up with BLM, Private timber ground (which I can hunt) and just flat out private land. I'll need the mapping software to tell me what is what. Any suggestions?

TIA
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Master

Interested in this too. I've also been using the Etrex Legend.

Boolit Master
    Hunt map is what I use for work and hunting.

Boolit Master
    You can do it with a cell phone now but trees and canyons make signals hard to receive.

I bought a Garmon GPSmap 62s and it works well in the woods. I downloaded the free maps rather than buying Garmon's and it shows my property line with US Forestry right on the map. Dedicated GPS units have better antennas and this one has a built in altimeter too. I bought it to put in a water line and it was worth every penny. About $250 REI sale.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Garmin Birdseye maps do not show up real well on the small screen of an etrex 20. If you squint at the dumb thing long enough you can figure your way around clear cuts and swamps. Downloading and installing the maps is not geezer friendly, I had to get my kid to do it.

The "kids" that work for the USFS use a smart phone and google earth. Much better screen, free maps, but short battery life.

I bought "Gaia GPS", about $30, for my iPhone. It works very well, with a variety of layers that you can use. If you're going to be out of cell range, you can preload a map of your destination area. If you do this, put the phone in airplane mode. You still receive GPS and it saves the battery. It worked very well for me in Colorado and Shenandoah NP last summer.

Boolit Master
    I was looking at this about this time last year and went with the Garmin Dakota 20 I like the touch screen it makes menus easy and fast to label my way points , the detail was quite good for such a small screen , just remember new batteries every morning , that is why I keep a few pair of rechargeable in rotation on the charger for it during hunting and trapping season.
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Boolit Buddy
    just bought a garmin montana it has a bigger screen for my old eyes.its the 600.then igot the the property boundary maps for idaho.it works great,seems a few folks around henerys lake might be off a touch on what they say they own.i hunt and trap a lot and this map really helps

Boolit Master

I have an older Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX which I downloaded freeware maps which cover the entire US. It's an older model, now discontinued, but I think it has one of the best antennas. I get signal in thick cover and even indoors most days. There are a few people out there that download and compile there own Garmin compatible maps and make them freely available; I use this site: http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/. The maps I have are older but I have the terrain features and roads layers showing which I compiled myself. My vehicle GPS (Google Maps) gets me there, my Garmin is for foot use only. I don't have any personal experience with the Garmin 62 series but I hear it's just as good, me I'll find a return or used model if mine ever goes out.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I have an Oregon I got about 4 years ago but the screen is too small and is not good in day light. I found a free map that has public land lines on the map from this forum site. Plus there's a lot of good info on it too. Look under custom maps for state or area you are interested in.

http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/

If I did not have so much tied up in the Oregon I'd get a Montana with the bigger screen.

Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    The Garmon GPSmap 62s has a smaller screen but you can see it better in daylight. At least that was the case when I bought it 2 years ago. Garmon had 2 distinct product lines and you had to choose which features you wanted most.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.