RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moose down!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Perfectly legal in Alaska to debone moose in the field in the area I was hunting. In some areas for caribou you must leave the meat on the bone, but I'm not aware of the need to do that for moose anywhere (at least not where I hunt).
    We were in the Lower Yukon Drainage, Unit 18. We were required to take meat out on the bone. All we were allowed to leave were spine, pelvis, feet, guts, and hide. This part of Alaska and most other places I've heard of have very strict rules about meat salvaging. Another rule was that the antlers must be the last part of the animal to leave the kill site.

Here is what remained of my moose.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    Actually not as bad as you think I shot one in the water and floated it back to the boat landing 5 miles. Hooked a rope on then pulled it up with the truck.
    That sounds to easy, there must be a law against it. (semi kidding)
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

You cheated, you used an ATV. Go get another one and pack all the meat out

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You cheated, you used an ATV. Go get another one and pack all the meat out
    who cheated? Not I. Ain't no ATV within 50 miles of that moose.

I don't think any one cheats with an ATV if it is legal in that area.

Boolit Grand Master

They aren't allowed to be used here at all(public land). I consider them cheating

I'm joking of course. I can't imagine packing a moose out. It's hard enough w/ a good size deer.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    We were in the Lower Yukon Drainage, Unit 18. We were required to take meat out on the bone. All we were allowed to leave were spine, pelvis, feet, guts, and hide. This part of Alaska and most other places I've heard of have very strict rules about meat salvaging. Another rule was that the antlers must be the last part of the animal to leave the kill site.
    I've never hunted in 18. Everywhere I've hunted, moose could be boned out in place. Nice bull you got there!
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Perma-Banned

Congrats!

That is a nice one.

..., so I hastened his demise with a finishing shot out of my Ruger .41 mag BH and 255 gn WFN boolit.....
    That counts!

Boolit Buddy
    Perfectly legal in Alaska to debone moose in the field in the area I was hunting. In some areas for caribou you must leave the meat on the bone, but I'm not aware of the need to do that for moose anywhere (at least not where I hunt).

Nice! I wish I could draw a cow tag for the area I live in. They come in my yard at times.
    That was my first cow tag in 13 years. I drew a muzzleloader tag up around Chena a few years ago but was unable to hunt due to a death in the family. My wife drew DM406 two years ago but those have been the only cow moose tags we've drawn and filled in our 13 years here.

The good Colonel's 400 Whelen put her on the ground but she was still breathing so I used my new Ruger Flattop 44 Special and Elmer's 2400 load under a 429421 to finish her off.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    That counts!
    Kinda funny story actually. The first shot with my .300 Win mag was quartering away. A quick second shot was broadside and dumped him. When I walked up, the bull was in rough shape and couldn't even lift his head. I needed to go get help, but wanted to see the moose dead as a door nail first.

I pulled out my Ruger BH .41 mag stoked with 255 gn Mountain Molds 255 gn WFN boolits and shot him in the neck. His eyes rolled back in his head and he quit moving/breathing. I thought that did the trick, but suddenly his eyes righted and labored breathing commenced. I realized I missed the spine so I shot him again closer behind the head.....with no effect.

Good grief, I'm somehow missing the spinal cord hiding somewhere in that massive neck. The third shot was placed behind the shoulders to hasten the bleed out process (which it did nicely). Autopsy revealed I was just grazing the top of the vertebrae as the spine sits a bit lower than I expected. All boolits blazed right through and none were recovered.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings and another Well Done !
    That is a fine looking moose. That would be a great way to spend those dark weeks.. champing on that big ol' bush muncher.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

nice!! saw a lot of moose cross the road when we went on our Maine bear hunt 4 years ago, those beasts are huge!

Boolit Buddy

Very nice bull, congrats!!

Boolit Mold
    Nice looking Moose.

Well done sir.

Boolit Bub
    A very nice bull. In the middle of BC the moose are not quite as big. The five of us are just back from our hunt. We got two immature Bulls and two 5x5's. It took us 3 days to cut, wrap and freeze the critters. Sausage comes later.

The Alaska/Yukon moose are indeed very magnificent animals. Did you call this one in?

Congratulations on a fine trophy! The best wild game I ever ate was moose.

Boolit Master
    GunStuff, I did not call this one. I got him on the 9th of Sept and there just wasn't any rut activity at that point. I spotted him across a lake. Since I had been where he was bedded the day before, I knew how we could stalk him with the wind working perfectly in our favor. I was a bit lucky to see him like that and before he saw us.

Skeet06, I was wondering what it would be like to eat, and after we had butchered it, I thought the meat looked pretty coarse. Not what I thought was a good sign, but we soon found out that appearances mean nothing. They are tastier than anything I've very had with hooves on it. Amazingly good stuff!
    Brent

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by GunStuff View Post
    A very nice bull. In the middle of BC the moose are not quite as big. The five of us are just back from our hunt. We got two immature Bulls and two 5x5's. It took us 3 days to cut, wrap and freeze the critters. Sausage comes later.

The Alaska/Yukon moose are indeed very magnificent animals. Did you call this one in?
    I used a Bull Magnet (shaped like a megaphone) to scrape on the side of a tree. This was to simulate a bull scraping his antlers. It was enough to coax the moose out into the open and look in my direction.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    We used a boat paddle from time to time. Not sure it did a darn thing but we felt good...

It was just too early for good rut action, but we knew that going it. We were opting for good weather - which sorta, didn't happen. On the other hand, it wasn't terribly cold. Just wet. VERY wet.