Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose down!

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    That is awesome. A very regal looking animal. Now hopefully your family will have meat for the winter. Stay safe.

a little off subject, but what is your favorite cut and recipe once you harvest one?
    Grilled back straps! Once all the sausage and brats etc are back from the processor, I'll be sharing the meat with the 7 other guys in camp that didn't get anything.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Good Lord! How do you move that thing.
    In pieces. lol

Imagine shooting one while it's in the water eating! I bet that's a real "uh-oh, now what" moment.

Cast Hunter

We deboned it in place and made multiple trips with meat bags back to the ATVs. It can be a chore.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Imagine shooting one while it's in the water eating! I bet that's a real "uh-oh, now what" moment.
    Actually not as bad as you think I shot one in the water and floated it back to the boat landing 5 miles. Hooked a rope on then pulled it up with the truck.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master
    I can only be envious, as well as happy for you. Since my last heart attack, hunting has been way down on my list. I'd have to go with some people who wouldn't mind dragging the critter out of the woods. I still go to the rifle /pistol range just in case my sons have some time they can have me as a guest.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Nice rack!!!

Boolit Buddy

What are you shooting in your 300? Nice bull

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub in wi View Post
    What are you shooting in your 300? Nice bull
    200 gn Barnes LRX with 69.5 gns of Norma N205 (A discontinued powder of course. I have 1 lb left).
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

I've pulled two out of lakes for different people with my mules. They float real well, just send the shooter out with a rope and pull them in. It takes 2 mules when the moose starts dragging bottom though to get them clear of the water for butcher chores. JW

I keep forgetting that I'm probably the only hunter in the country with no boat, ATV's, horses, mules, 4wd truck, or hunting buddies. I look at big dead animals from the perspective of "I gotta deal with this critter myself, the Armstrong way". I tend to forget there's easier ways, sorry.....

Boolit Master
    Great pic and story, thanks for sharing, on my bucket list to do!

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats! And yes, that looks like a whole bunch of great meat. I'm grateful for the portability of our little S TX deer. The ones where I live are quite a but larger but no near the chore of a nice big moose. Wow!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I keep forgetting that I'm probably the only hunter in the country with no boat, ATV's, horses, mules, 4wd truck, or hunting buddies. I look at big dead animals from the perspective of "I gotta deal with this critter myself, the Armstrong way". I tend to forget there's easier ways, sorry.....
    It isn't just you! I have a boat, a 4x4 truck, and hunting buddies. My boat is a kayak, so not much good for dragging things along, my truck is usually several miles from my kill, and my hunting buddies are smarter than me and tend to stay home when I hunt in bad weather (which is my favorite time to hunt). So you and I do things the same way, but the important thing is that we get it done.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    We deboned it in place and made multiple trips with meat bags back to the ATVs. It can be a chore.
    Congrats on the great hunt! Your process sounds like mine when I shoot the occasional big hog, but I walk out the pieces to my truck instead of an ATV.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    That's enough meat to feed my avatar for nearly 6 months.

Really nice moose. I am understandably envious.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your moose. Going moose hunting is something I would love to do...........someday.

Boolit Master
    Super nice moose! They are quite an impressive animal. Getting them out is a lot of work but they are definitely worth it even w/o an ATV.

How is it that you got to debone it in the field though? I had to take mine out in bone-in quarters, plus ribs etc.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice bull. Congrats. I just finished cutting and wrapping my cow from my DM400 hunt.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Super nice moose! They are quite an impressive animal. Getting them out is a lot of work but they are definitely worth it even w/o an ATV.

How is it that you got to debone it in the field though? I had to take mine out in bone-in quarters, plus ribs etc.
    Perfectly legal in Alaska to debone moose in the field in the area I was hunting. In some areas for caribou you must leave the meat on the bone, but I'm not aware of the need to do that for moose anywhere (at least not where I hunt).

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    Nice bull. Congrats. I just finished cutting and wrapping my cow from my DM400 hunt.
    Nice! I wish I could draw a cow tag for the area I live in. They come in my yard at times.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast