Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Manstopper bullet for the 38 special

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Nowadays I focus almost exclusively on Bullseye, Titegroup, and HP-38 for handguns as they are the only powders that tend to be in stock. Others that I really like such as Accurate Number 2 and 5 and Green Dot have only been seen on the side of milk cartons here for the last few years.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

We have problems and gun shops order what sells the best. Most do not even know a lot of powders. They do not know guns and only care for money. The years where a gun shop knew anything is gone. I grew up with the best. Ask for a powder today and he will say "only 8# but why so much to test? What if it fails?
    i have a few powders and if I can't get them I don't shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    We have problems and gun shops order what sells the best. Most do not even know a lot of powders. They do not know guns and only care for money. The years where a gun shop knew anything is gone. I grew up with the best. Ask for a powder today and he will say "only 8# but why so much to test? What if it fails?
    i have a few powders and if I can't get them I don't shoot.
    I am fortunate that I have 2 "local" shops that carry a decent supply and variety of reloading supplies including powders. Both of these stores are run by families that are shooters, so they know what you are talking about when you ask about something. One of them also carries a good inventory of used firearms. I have been doing business with one of them for over 40 years. Three generations of the same family have been running the store now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I am fortunate that I have 2 "local" shops that carry a decent supply and variety of reloading supplies including powders. Both of these stores are run by families that are shooters, so they know what you are talking about when you ask about something. One of them also carries a good inventory of used firearms. I have been doing business with one of them for over 40 years. Three generations of the same family have been running the store now.
    I really like "10 ring" here in Houston, but it depends on the sales guy working the counter when I show up. I don't mind paying a bit more for local knowledgble folks. The last 2 times i have gone to look at reloading gear and powders I got new faces who didn't even know how to find the Hornady Presses, I passed that time and ordered online. I guess if I only wanted a single lb of powder to try they would be reasonable, but the standard markup is 10-15 over what powdervalley charges me and primers are double and only sold by 1k. Very easy to break even on the hazmat with them and I get a better return for my dollar.

My places have the same prices on primers that the online stores do. On the powder, they are often a bit cheaper. I really don't have any incentive to buy online under these circumstances.

Banned

My store gets a pallet of powders so hazmat is nothing but they want you to order 8# for one they don't have--PLUS hazmat. Powder from the pallet can be cheaper. Primers are cheaper and they usually have what I want. They still look at me funny when I say "give me the whole thousand."

I always shop my local guy for anything shooting related before I shop anywhere else. If I need something I can just call and he will order it for me no money down, even a gun or something expensive. His prices on reloading stuff are a bit higher than the big box stores but less than what you would pay at an online place after shipping and hazmat.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    TO35.....

I too like to trade with my local dealers whenever possible. I had 2 VERY GOOD retailers in my past hometown of Ridgecrest, and I miss that a lot.

San Diego was AWFUL. 'Nuff said.

Back "home" in Redlands/San Bernardino for now, and pickings are a bit lean, at least in part because the Sheriff's Office has historically and presently been ridiculously strict about propellant sales/permitting. I got wind of a DEEPLY-STOCKED dealership in the Pomona or Covina area that had a wide variety of powders in stock at all times. I need to abduct Buckshot and drag him with me to the place. I prefer root canals to driving close to Los Angeles, but a powder boutique of this sort justifies the drive stress. I am sorely in need of some RL-7 and AA-1680.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

We now have a dedicated reloading shop in Richmond, about an hour from me. Happy coincidence, we may be moving closer to it as my wife now works in the same town.

Aw, just load up the wadcutters and test them yourself.
    The FBI agent that was dating my mom in the eighties thought hers were great.
    They're for doing an ugly job real close. You push them hard enough they do the job.

According to gel tests on the pocket pistols and gear website, the sedate Federal Gold Medal wadcutter actually out penetrates the vaunted Speer Gold Dot 135 grain JHP and even the Remington FBI load when fired from a snub nose.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    According to gel tests on the pocket pistols and gear website, the sedate Federal Gold Medal wadcutter actually out penetrates the vaunted Speer Gold Dot 135 grain JHP and even the Remington FBI load when fired from a snub nose.
    That is why I use the 358432 in my snubbie. It shoots to point of aim and hits as hard as anything does in a short barreled 38 special.

Yes, not to mention the fact that with mild recoil you can actually make a follow up shot if needed. I'm not going to pretend I can shoot strong Buffalo Bore type loads in a snubby. An accurate wadcutter is the best choice for me and my modest shooting abilities.

Found an excellent load for the Lyman 35891 in my little 637. Try 3.1 grains Bullseye and a Federal small pistol primer under the 35891 sized to .358. According to my chronograph it clocks a very consistent consistentwith mild recoil and is very accurate.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I just re-read this thread and decided I would post some drawings of .38 Special Accurate bullets which are relevant to the OP to maybe jump start the discussion.

I have given up on hollow-point bullets in the .38 Special snubbies and in the .38 S&W and instead have changed over completely to blunt nosed solids having a meplat of about 0.7 of bullet diameter. The following designs are in Accurate's online catalog and can be tweaked in diameter for your gun and alloy, no waiting for a "group buy" or any of that nonsense. They are available NOW!

I load 2.5 grains of Bullseye in the .38 S&W for the S&W Model 32-1, and 3.5 grains of Bullseye in the .38 Special.

The 3.5 grains of Bullseye with 36-159H is standard pressure, with the two heavier bullets it is probably +P:

Attachment 211645Attachment 211646Attachment 211647Attachment 211648Attachment 211649
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

my vote is a 358477 hollowpointed by Erik at hollowpointmold dot com, cast from something around 8 BHN and powdercoated.

Last edited by ikarus1; 01-11-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added video

Some years ago I was told the Remington 38+P Golden Saber is a really efficient S/D load.....I keep GP 100's in the house (357 mag) loaded with the Golden Saber...I get similar "practice" results from 5.5 grains of W231 or HP 38 and a 125 grain Remington SJHP bullet...I'm a believer that practice and bullet placement is the key...I don't shoot 357 mag because of flash and the proximity to neighbors...I do have a Smith 36 3" 5 shot revovler (old but solid) and I do shoot soft lead WC in it...I carry it on my premises (can't carry off the premises) in a pack I wear when in the garage, etc..doubt I'd ever have use for anything at more than 8 or 10 yards...I've never had to use either and hope I never will and I never spoke to anyone that was hit with either so anything about actual effeciency is pretty much conjecture.

I have stuck with wadcutters for decades, they are still my primary carry load in 38 spl. Mine are lighter than target wadcutters 138 grain, and moving slightly faster 1200fps.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    I have stuck with wadcutters for decades, they are still my primary carry load in 38 spl. Mine are lighter than target wadcutters 138 grain, and moving slightly faster 1200fps.
    "Slightly faster", indeed. Those would be kick-*** defense loads.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I always shop my local guy for anything shooting related before I shop anywhere else. If I need something I can just call and he will order it for me no money down, even a gun or something expensive. His prices on reloading stuff are a bit higher than the big box stores but less than what you would pay at an online place after shipping and hazmat.
    I have a place like that also.I just call the guy and that is it. I have read this post and learn alot. Outpost you did a good job about explain about 38spl in 357. I did not know that ,for how you explain it made it easy for me to understand ,like your other post also. thank you. I also learn from others that post also.That is what I am on here for to learn and also if i did something that would help I will post it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112