Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: pet loads for the old mauser rifles

pet loads for the old mauser rifles

i have done cast for 45-70/ 50-110 win 45 colt 375 win 12 ga slugs 30-30 an 8x57 looking for a good hunting load from 50 to 250 yards

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    8 mm x 57 :....175 /180 boolit I like the NOE Ranch Dog with 16 to 18 grains 2400 Thats all you need for accuracy and a good kill.
    Don't waste your time with slow powders and fiber fills You won't do much better
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    My father came back from Germany in '47 with a 98 Sporter in 8mm. In Dad's hands it was a deer slaying machine. My brother has it now. I got him an LBT 215 gr LFN-GC years ago. He was using powders between Reloder-7 and Varget. There isn't much in America that can stand up to a 215 grain 32 caliber cast at 1900 - 2100 foot seconds. We looked at it as a heavy 32 Special. Because Dad was so efficient with the 8mm, that caliber has always been a favorite of mine.

Banned

find a powder in your locker.
    match it up to whatever data you find for the 8 mauser/308/30-06 in a boolit weight similar to yours.

if it's a powder in the H-322 through 4064 speed I'd recommend a filler.
    if it's much slower I doubt you'll need or want one. [but the primer can affect accuracy]
    if it's between unique and rl-7/4198 speed you should have good results without a filler but the powder may shoot better positioned to the primer.
    18-1900 MV fps [and a boolit weight in the 150-200gr area] will smack a deer down out to about 150 yds with no trouble.