Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who has any experience trasplanting raspberries and blackberries?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    With all due respect, I disagree (red highlights).
    I have grown the 3 varieties (of commercial black razberry) offered by Jung Seed that will grow in Zone 3/4. After about 4 years, I got tired of growing berries that tasted like water, compared to the fruit from the wild black razberry plants I got from the woods of my buddy's farm. I grow them for wine and jam. I do grow 3 varieties of red razberries for eating fresh, and they are much better "eating" than those commercial black razberries I use to grow.
    That is my experience.
    Jon
    Well we will just disagree then, along with all my customers who also will disagree -wholeheartedly! Varieties such as the Lawton I have mentioned several times will rival wild berries grown anywhere and are sweeter than most, still have that tart "wild berry whang" but not as sour as some. The biggest difference is that while the berries are somewhat larger than most wild berries the canes will GREATLY outproduce wild strains and grow more vigorously with a longer growing season! Grow wild berries if you like but those who want to grow better fruit and a heck of a lot more of it for the same effort there's the proven varieties of cultivated berries that you apparently have not seen.

As far as Raspberries it's the same, some varieties such as Jewel will rival the taste of any wild berry but be far more productive and even more important have a MUCH better pulp to seed ratio than the wild varieties. Production per plant however is the biggest benefit since they will produce 3 to 4 times the fruit per plant.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Moderator Emeritus

I don't think any blackberry plants, like the Lawton will handle a Minnesota winter.
    two of the three commercial black razberries I grew were Bristol and Jewel, I don't recall the other...while the plants were hardy enough, the fruit didn't hold a candle to the wild ones I grow.

The ones you grow in east TN are probably way better than anything I can grow
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    When in MI we had tons of berry plants both wild and commercial. The comm ones did much better with better yield and bigger fruit.

Fast forward 30 year and now I get the biggest sweetest nicest berries of all kinds at my local stores her in PHX. No hassle, no mess, just grab a flat and enjoy! I like simple.

the only thing we grow now is citrus..........15 trees of the dang stuff! 5 varieties of oranges, tangelos, tangerines, grapefruit, limes, lemons.............and on and on.

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    Will blackberry's attract bears?

Boolit Master

I think Ill just dig up the free plants and replant them now and then in the spring I might pick up some other varities from somewhere local. That way I have plenty of both.

Now for the hard part...where to put them.

Moderator Emeritus

You still have access to those canes Jon? I am getting a berry patch started and no locals have any black raspberries... got some nice reds started that should produce next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I don't think any blackberry plants, like the Lawton will handle a Minnesota winter.
    two of the three commercial black razberries I grew were Bristol and Jewel, I don't recall the other...while the plants were hardy enough, the fruit didn't hold a candle to the wild ones I grow.

The ones you grow in east TN are probably way better than anything I can grow

Moderator Emeritus

Yes, still have access (in Big Lake) but it'd be easier to get some off my plants in Glencoe...and less poison Ivy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

I will have to contact you next year, think they would be good along the east side of the new garage...

Boolit Master
    35 years ago we had just a few wild black raspberries by the timber, 20 years ago I planted some red and black raspberries by the garden. Between the birds and animals the patches getting bigger, we are overrun with them. Plus the berries are killing us as we do have a ton of them. Raspberry pies, raspberry kolaches, raspberry jam, raspberrys and ice cream after supper every night while they are in season.

Banned

I disagree with some. My wild blackberries make the best jam going. As to rasberrys I like the big berries on my boughten plants. Sure makes picking a lot easier but the flavor advantage goes to the wild ones hands down.

Boolit Master

Want to make money?? Get good plants. Wild ones grow great stem but produce bubpkus fruit.

Boolit Master
    In East Tennessee the wild black berries around here seem to be plenty big enough and taste much better than the store bought variety. They are subject to the weather conditions, and wild life makes short work of them. Most likely if you find only small berries its because the birds already got the larger ones.

A Black Bear that roamed through my neighborhood and was caught sleeping in a tree near the high school may have been attracted by all the wild berries and fruit trees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12