Boolit Buddy

.58 cal round ball mold help

What size Round-Ball mold would i buy
    to cast for my CVA .58 cal Flintlock ?

just going back to front stuffers after a 30yr break,,,don't remember much,

does Lee make one?

thanks
    John

My CVA .58 big bore mountain takes a .562 and I use a .015 patch and the mould I have is a lee
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee 58 caliber mold for my 58 caliber under hammer and I also use a 0.015 thickness pillow ticking patch with some Bore Butter smoothed on it. I do have to use a starter and mallet to get things started and the ball is a tad hard to push down the barrel. I use 80 grains of Goex FFG powder also.

Boolit Master
    I use a lyman .562 with .020 patch in my .58 navy arms harpers ferry.

Banned
    Go with the Lyman .570" mold. I am shooting a CVA Hawken with a mountain rifle barrel fitted to the stock. I have both the .570 and the .562 the .570 ball kicks its butt. I also use the .018 or .020" patches depending on the loads I am shooting.

Perma-Banned
    Lee makes both a .562 and a .575 roundball mould. they are available at Midsouth for 18 bucks each & both show to be in stock.

Boolit Buddy
    THANKS GUYS,,
    im ordering,

58 cal barrels vary much more in bore diameter than do the 54s. Some like a .575 diameter minie and others a .580 or more. A tight bore will do well with the .562 ball, others with the .570 and still others will do well with the .575 ball. The good news is patch thickness can overcome some of the variation.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

CVAs catalogs from 1979 and through the 1980s only mentioned and sold .562 round balls for their big-bore .58s. Of course, that doesn't mean that some guns will prefer the .570. Work up a load and see which shoots the best for you.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Man
    I use a .562 rb and pillow ticking greased with bear grease.works good and seasons the bore and keeps fouling soft.

Boolit Master
    No CVA here. Just a T/C Big Bore. .575 lyman cast and a .010 Ox-Yoke patch coated with Track of the Wolfs _(non-scented) Mink Oil Tallow lube.

Banned

for me - patched .570 for a rifle and patched .562 for a smoothbore. i bought both to trial out in my musket and the clear winner is the .562 mold.

i have a lyman .570 mold going up for sale in the classifieds, handles included.