Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some guidance regarding wrinkled bullets

Boolit Buddy

Need some guidance regarding wrinkled bullets

My cast bullets have been coming out wrinkled and inconsistent. I am using 1 part lead to 1 part Linotype. I am casting .309 and .312 bullets for rifles. I have a PID I am setting at 725 degrees. I use a bottom pour Lee lead pot. I am using 3 Lee 2 cavity molds and one HM2 5 cavity all aluminum. My current process is to use two molds at a time. Fill them then I let them cool on a metal ledge before water dropping them. While the first two are Colling the next two are sitting on a hot plate. I usually throw the spur excess back in between each pour. I read somewhere that with a bottom pour pot you may need to set alloy temp up to 850 degrees. Can you give me some pointers? Or critique my process?

Boolit Master

Oil in the cavities, mold or pour too cold, or casting too slow which allows the mold to cool too much between pours. Those are my guesses.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Banned

I'd go with oil or too cold too.
    most likely your just flat out running the molds too cold.
    use just one at a time and pay attention to what your doing you'll get a lot-more-good boolits that way.
    I rarely if ever use 2 molds, I can't count and time things if I'm focusing on something else.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes it takes a time or two to season a mold
    keep at it it will get better
    may also want to try one at a time and forget about mass production
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I would go with a cool mould, dunk the bottom edge into the molten alloy for a few seconds to pre-heat the mould.

ukrifleman.

Boolit Buddy
    How hot should the molds be? I have them sitting on a hot plate before pouring. It is probably not oil/grease as I used a degreaser on the molds first. It could be the "break in period" as this was my first time using any of these 4 molds. It could be a flow issue (filling molds to slow) as I was having trouble getting the pour flow regulated. My other concern is temperature of the lead is 725 a good point or do I need to go hotter? Thanks all for the replies!

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee Production pot 4 and start with the temperature set around 7 to melt the alloy (I don't worry too much about actual temperature readings)

Once the alloy is melted and fluxed I turn the temperature setting down between 5 and 6 and pre-heat the mould by dunking, then I start casting. If the bullets come out wrinkled (too cool) I dunk the mould some more, if they come out frosted I let the mould cool for a little while.

It only takes me a few casts to get the balance right before I get a production run going.

Basically, it's trial and error to begin with.

ukrifleman.

Mould I should be right at a temp that the boolits will be slightly frosted. I agree, your trying to run too many moulds at once. Concentrate on one at a time.

Banned

Mold is cold, plain and simple.
    Do NOT set your filled molds on metal. Use a hunk of hardwood.
    A mold only needs to be 500° to make good boolits but you are sucking the life out using metal. By the time you cut and pour again, they are dead.

Boolit Master

Mold too cold. The sprue puddle should take three to five seconds to solidify.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Sounds like to cold.

I like to use 2 molds when doing some runs and once you get the likes and dislikes figured out,things will work.

Don't set them on the plate for long just long enough to empty and fill the other.
    If water dropping,drop as soon as sprue is solid.

Keep trying it will happen.

Boolit Grand Master

Moulds are oily
    Mould are not kept in a consistent temp range cooling on a metal ledge
    different sized moulds cool differently
    Not using proper technique for WQ if hardening is the goal

Using too many moulds at the same time for consistent results

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mookiie View Post
    How hot should the molds be? I have them sitting on a hot plate before pouring. It is probably not oil/grease as I used a degreaser on the molds first. It could be the "break in period" as this was my first time using any of these 4 molds. It could be a flow issue (filling molds to slow) as I was having trouble getting the pour flow regulated. My other concern is temperature of the lead is 725 a good point or do I need to go hotter? Thanks all for the replies!
    Ditto on the hot plate, I have a 1/4" aluminum plate sitting on the hot plate and it keeps the mold temps just right for pouring good boolits.

Boolit Master

Temperature wise, I usually heat my molds to about 350 on a hot plate then start pouring the 715-725 alloy. Typically, the very first cast may have a little wrinkle but all the rest will be good. Operating with one mold is a plenty, with counting time in your head and paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiie View Post

A lot of the above and shaky hands pours.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Grand Master

Try casting with one mould. Aluminum moulds don't require a lot of cooling as do iron or brass.
    Fill the cavities, when the sprue frosts over, count to 5 and open. Also cast at a temperature just below frosty bullets. Nix the water dropping, fit of bullet to bore is more important, your alloy is plenty hard enough with air cooling. They will get harder in a few days too. I used to believe that harder was better...it's not , softer boolits that fit the bore and a gas check is the ticket.
    Load Safe,
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-23-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you pouring into the mould with a small space between mould and pots spout, or are you fitting the moulds against the spout? As has been said above mould temp is important the metal must remain molten for the complete pour into the cavity and sprue fill. Getting a good fill quickly with a full stream is important. Maybe experiment with the pour some blocks at a slight angle, straight, away from spout, against spout, thru center of sprue hole, and down edge of sprue hole. I dont think temps are to far off but cadence may be on slow side and aluminum disipates heat quickly so you may need to cast even quicker to maintain temps. Start out with one mould casting quick and cast dont look or inspect bullets while casting. Make 25-30 pours then take a few seconds to look at a bullet. If you want to runs 2 moulds you may need to increase temp to 750* for the little extra. Warming or pre heating moulds is a big plus. The trick is to heat them evenly not just one side, edge, or spot but evenly thru out the blocks. Slow even heat works well here. As to breack in you might try heat cycling the moulds 2-3 times before the first casting session. Slowly heat to 400*-500* then let slowly cool to room temp. repeat 2-3 times. This gets the patina on the blocks and readys the blocks for the first session. A good cleaning with solvent then dishsoap and water to remove any residues from the solvent. A light scrubbing with a tooth brush is perfered. Lube handles and joints in blocks lightly and your ready to start.

Agree with the too cool mold. It might make some casters cringe, especially brass or steel mold casters, but I dip my Lee molds in the lead to heat it up. Not from stone cold, but after letting them sit on the edge of the pot as the lead warms up. I dip the far edge from the handles into the lead and pull it out. If the lead "freezes" on the mold or leaves a frozen impression in the melt, I dip it again and again until it no longer sticks to the mold and there is nothing but liquid left behind when I pull the mold out. I then start by casting the bullets and leave a big sprue puddle on the sprue plate to ensure it gets really hot too. I wait at least 6 seconds after the freeze-over before cutting the sprue. Experience will get you the feel as to whether you cut too early and risk smearing lead on the top of the mold, or too late (really tough cut). I use my gloved hand to cut the sprue with a quick twist between my thumb and index finger. That gives me the best feeling of sprue hardness and whether I'm cutting to soon or waiting too long plus it's easier on the mold than whacking it with a stick.

Too hot = frosty = not too bad, still shoot fine
    Too cold = wrinkled = not good, may shoot ok, but usually best to dump back into the pot.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    Agree with the too cool mold. It might make some casters cringe, especially brass or steel mold casters, but I dip my Lee molds in the lead to heat it up. Not from stone cold, but after letting them sit on the edge of the pot as the lead warms up. I dip the far edge from the handles into the lead and pull it out. If the lead "freezes" on the mold or leaves a frozen impression in the melt, I dip it again and again until it no longer sticks to the mold and there is nothing but liquid left behind when I pull the mold out. I then start by casting the bullets and leave a big sprue puddle on the sprue plate to ensure it gets really hot too. I wait at least 6 seconds after the freeze-over before cutting the sprue. Experience will get you the feel as to whether you cut too early and risk smearing lead on the top of the mold, or too late (really tough cut). I use my gloved hand to cut the sprue with a quick twist between my thumb and index finger. That gives me the best feeling of sprue hardness and whether I'm cutting to soon or waiting too long plus it's easier on the mold than whacking it with a stick.

Too hot = frosty = not too bad, still shoot fine
    Too cold = wrinkled = not good, may shoot ok, but usually best to dump back into the pot.
    Agree with you. I'm a corner dipper also, just follow directions that came with Lee mould for preheating, best method for me.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    Oil in the cavities, mold or pour too cold, or casting too slow which allows the mold to cool too much between pours. Those are my guesses.
    Exactly my thoughts too.

Wow!!! 1 to 1 lead/linotype and water quench. Those things must be like 30bhn after aging.

My Lee moulds work best when kept on the warm side. I suggest you start with one mould. Pre heat it some. I usually just let the lead do it by not dropping the first few real quick. Then start casting. You will see the boolits get better and look great then they will start to frost. At that point you found your high limit.

Once your able to keep one mould in the "sweet" spot then go to two. One problem I am learning to deal with using the Lee moulds is the larger the boolits the harder it is to keep the mould in the sweet spot.

Now their new moulds have smaller, trimmed down blocks. My 440gr .501 is nearly impossible to keep in the sweet spot even after I added material to bulk it up which helps.

Motor
    Last edited by Motor; 09-24-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast