Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Snagged a Savage 99 22-250

Boolit Man

Snagged a Savage 99 22-250

Came home with a Savage 99 22-250 from a local gunshow this weekend. This is my second one and both are excellent. The 22-250 is a necked down 250 Savage, and was only made a few years so I am happy to have the pair. Now to find the elusive 99 7mm-08.

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats! Can't recall seeing one around here. Been fondling a 300 lately but it's not as nice as the one I already have. I hear these 99's can be habit forming but I know I can quit any time I want to.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    The sad thing is, I bet I have turned down a hundred or so 300's over the years in the 1 to 200 dollar range, because I had one, turned down many other calibers for not a lot more, just because I didn't have a need for them, NOW they are like gold when you do run across them. lol

Boolit Master
    If your finding 22-250 99s this day in age you sir are very lucky to say the least. I've never seen one.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    If your finding 22-250 99s this day in age you sir are very lucky to say the least. I've never seen one.
    I agree on the lucky part! I bought the only two I have ever seen. The 7mm-08 is the one I've never come across yet.

Boolit Master
    My dream 99 is in the rebated rim .284 Winchester....being a lefty I always thought it would be the perfect rifle. Accurate, powerful, flat shooting..... never found one, that I could afford.

Banned

There's a .284 one in a local shop, or was not long ago and had been there a while. Only reason I haven't figured out a way to get it is it's that godawful clip fed variant, I hate those things.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    There's a .284 one in a local shop, or was not long ago and had been there a while. Only reason I haven't figured out a way to get it is it's that godawful clip fed variant, I hate those things.
    Most collectors dont regard them highly, but the only way to get some calibers (7mm-08, 22-250) is to buy a "C" model. They actually work just fine and are more like most people are used to. Some regard the rotary as odd.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had two of the 284's. The first one was a removable mag type that someone wanted really much after I told him what I had just bought and paid accordingly. Next was an almost new "M" model with tang safety. Probably hadn't been shot 50 times. Sold that one too. Just have the 243 now. Did have a 358 at one time too, but it went down the road too.
    The 7mm-08 sounds good.

Boolit Master

"Some regard the rotary as odd."

Most 99 users see the model with clip as odd!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post

HA!!! I totally understand! Us 99 guys are a little "different".

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post

Agreed!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I was in Hobbs, NM on a trip for work and went to a small shop to check for any molds but came home with several boxes of Remington 303 Savage factory loads. They had them marked down to $6.00 a box. Now I just need to find a nice 303 I can afford.

Boolit Master
    Now I just need to find a nice 303 I can afford.
    Good luck with that ambition. 303s. There getting scarce as hens teeth too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    I was in Hobbs, NM on a trip for work and went to a small shop to check for any molds but came home with several boxes of Remington 303 Savage factory loads. They had them marked down to $6.00 a box. Now I just need to find a nice 303 I can afford.
    Sounds perfectly logical to me. Keep prowling those used gun racks and I believe one day your patience will be rewarded.

Boolit Man
    I will give you $7.00 box for that 303 savage ammo. That will save you suffering looking to buy a rifle and you will clear $1.00 a box.

Someone gave me a box of 303 savage ammo a few years back.

I finally happened up on a savage 303 the past year and traded for it. I had wanted a savage 99 in 303 for years.

I would like to find and be able to afford a savage in 22-250 as you did.
    Last edited by HawkEyeEarl; 10-04-2015 at 07:40 PM.
    Thanks
    HawkEye