Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 80% ar lower

Boolit Grand Master

80% ar lower

What's the best way to add the lettering, for the safety, to a machined AR lower? My first build and I realize I should have stamped it before milling the fire control out.
    Folks that engrave have gotten rid of the older tooling in favor of using plastic labels.
    I have seen etching done in videos, but the results didn't look good.
    If I support the inside of the fire control wall, can I stamp it? The thickness comes into question.
    I seem to be, between the preverbal rock and hard place.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I have etching on some that look fantastic, and some that don't look so great. One I got a handle on it they come out looking good, but it takes practice to get it done nice. If I had to choose between etching and stamping I would etch. There is no way to get those letterers lined up good and straight. There is no requirement to even mark your lowers. I found a laser engraver near me that will do marking any way I want while I wait. Real good work too. I have seen a repro colt lower they did, and besides a minor change to make it not a complete copy it is spot on. If I had to do it all over again I would use the laser shop. Nice work, and not expensive. They charged me like $15 to do my class III markings on a lower.
    You could try to support the inside to do stamping, but I think the chance for bending that thin wall and ruining the lower comes into play. I would rather have a messed up etching, than a trashed lower.

A cnc milling machine will do the best job, that is what I use.

Boolit Master

1/8" drill bit, just drill a point at the fire position fill it with red, or drill under the pointer at safe and fill it with red. It's an AR, does anyone look to see where the fire selector is or do you just know by feel? Couldn't tell you if my says safe and fire or has some little symbol, if my thumb is down and the selector is under it we are hot.

Boolit Master

I print out the text and tape it to the the receiver. Then use an electric engraver tool to trace out the text through the template. Not perfect but it looks pretty good.

Boolit Grand Master

I found a jewelry store that would engrave both sides of 4 lowers for a buck a letter. That solved that problem, but now I need to anodize them. I have everything but the cathode material. I melted all my lead sheeting. I have aluminum in the form of flashing and a heavier sheet.
    Has anyone done anodizing with aluminum for a cathode, and or would lead be better??
    Should I do them one at a time or can I do all 4 at once?
    I saw somewhere a post with the sq in of a lower, but cant find it now.
    Information not shared. is wasted.