RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Marlin Glenfield Mod. 30

Marlin Glenfield Mod. 30

I just plunked some cash down on a Glenfield 30-30. It's in very good condition and has a scope base on it. And the price seemed fair.

I have a 336 and had never seen the Glenfield Mod. 30 in the flesh before.

Serial no: 699xxxx, which I take to mean it was made in 1969. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It has a hardwood stock and goofy impressed checkering (which I kinda like). Also I like the short magazine tube. Between the short tube and "hardwood" stock, it seems significantly lighter than my 336--is that possible?

The bore was dusty and clogged with a spider egg sack, but it looks like it might be ballard rifling. But that doesn't seem right, even though i couldn't find "Microgrooved" on the barrel.

Any info appreciated.

Can't wait to shoot it.

Boolit Man
    I don't have a lot of info to give you, but I have one and think that shorter mag tube is cool. Congrats on a neat rifle, hope you enjoy it!

Boolit Master

Good on you. My brother uses a Glenfield 30/30 often and enjoys it... even with that goofy pressed in checkering

Between the short tube and "hardwood" stock, it seems significantly lighter than my 336--is that possible?
    The type of wood and its density will have some impact on the weight of the rifle and I think that the Glenfield series of rifles usually had birch wood stocks instead of walnut.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    I inherited one made in the 60's, it is not marked Microgroove that I can see. It is a microgroove. Shoots very well.
    I bet it will still be going strong, long after my son inherits it.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Boolit Master

I have one I bought new in the box about 72. The Glenfield brand scope that came with it didn't last a year but the rifle is still going strong.

I always thought about getting a couple of those for rebore. IIRC those actions will handle more pressure that the 94 winny. Possible rebore thoughts would be 375 win, 444 marlin, 445 super mag, 454 casull, 460 S&W. The only thing is I know it would be a cast boolit gun and stamped with keeping loads @ the actions level, but a cartridge like the 454 and 460 go into the 55k cup, 65k psi range and when I pass who would know unless stamped for the pressure rating then who would know that. Same with reboring a 94 30-30 for 375 winny, the one who rebored it for cast knows what to put in it, but does the following owner know. It would be a pretty nice kawholoper pushing one of those big bore heavies at 40k cup.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have a 1967 Glenfield 30, it is the most accurate rifle I own. Mine definitely has micro groove but is not marked on the barrel, as is my 1970's 1895. On a nice day with a solid bench rest it will make nice groups of a bit more than an inch with 150 grain Sierra Pro Hunters and 31 grains Varget or 30 grains IMR 4064. It produces sub-1" groups more often than it has a right to, in spite of the 40 pound trigger pull and me shooting it. Currently trying boolits in it and getting good results.

I really think the Glenfield 30 should have been Marlin's mainstay design for an inexpensive lever action. The half magazine tube and lack of barrel bands keep it trim and help with accuracy. I've never cared for the looks of a full length mag tube with a pistol grip stock either. If I ever find another one I'll buy it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

@ FergieTO35 - well seems like that 30 is good enough to shoot squirrels or whatever @ 100 yds. Now the cast needs to get into that accuracy zone, which I think can be made more effectively than jacketed for those types of cartridges. Watch out 17 hmr.

Oh I agree with you. I am planning to switch to cast in everything someday, just need the time to work up loads. My experience so far indicates that the .30 WCF prefers slower powders with cast than you normally see. 28 grains IMR 4895 under a Lee C309-150-F shoots great, I'm going to try IMR 4064 next.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by OnHoPr View Post
    I always thought about getting a couple of those for rebore. IIRC those actions will handle more pressure that the 94 winny. Possible rebore thoughts would be 375 win, 444 marlin, 445 super mag, 454 casull, 460 S&W. The only thing is I know it would be a cast boolit gun and stamped with keeping loads @ the actions level, but a cartridge like the 454 and 460 go into the 55k cup, 65k psi range and when I pass who would know unless stamped for the pressure rating then who would know that. Same with reboring a 94 30-30 for 375 winny, the one who rebored it for cast knows what to put in it, but does the following owner know. It would be a pretty nice kawholoper pushing one of those big bore heavies at 40k cup.
    Sounds like a good plan, but please use a common as dirt 336W for the build. The Glenfield 30's are not easy to find.

Boolit Master
    69' is the year they moved from New Haven to North Haven, check your roll stamp. Big Fan of the Model 30, fine man in a cheap suit! Built a 444 on one with correct rifling and have a couple cherries untouched. Used to be the unknown prize, they did not have the pretty wood and did not hold as many rounds but I was picking them up for just over a bill. Well if it shoots an inch at a 100 you don't usually need another right away. Only thing I have found in some and a few of mine is the occasional rapid cut of sight dovetails causing restrictions in bore and these are not your Boolits friend. Pin gauge or slug to confirm no choke points. Enjoy!

Boolit Buddy

I got mine for Christmas in 1970 and been shooting it a lot ever since (put 50 rounds of 115 grain cast through it on Monday). I did change the wood for some nice walnut and saved the old wood in case the next owner likes it all original. Even killed two deer within 30 seconds of each other (long story.....). Nice old gun.

Quote Originally Posted by gunauthor View Post
    I did change the wood for some nice walnut and saved the old wood in case the next owner likes it all original.
    I was thinking about a wood change, myself. You guys have me excited now, but I can't pick up the 30 til next week.

I have a 1905 Mod. 94 and a 60s 336 both with peeps--both accurate. But I think I'll mount a scope on this Mod. 30. The most-compact I've got right now is a 3x BSA. The BSA is cheap, but holds its zero. I've also got a couple 4x30mm Weaver that are age-appropriate.

I'm going to start with a Lee Flat Point 175 grain with Red Dot and 2400 and a few with 3031, which my other 30-30s like.

I also like the models 30 and 30A, the same gun with a full length mag tube. I actually think they are better looking than the 336C with its forearm band and totally unnecessary pistol grip cap. Now that Remlin is getting production back up, hopefully prices on these econo-336's won't go too high.

Another thing: I believe the 336 makes a better budget lever action than the Winchester 94. Of all the rifles I've examined the Marlin 30's and 336W's consistently have better workmanship, parts fit, and finish than the 94 Ranger on average. The 94 design just can't tolerate production shortcuts like the 336 can.

Quote Originally Posted by OnHoPr View Post
    I always thought about getting a couple of those for rebore. IIRC those actions will handle more pressure that the 94 winny. Possible rebore thoughts would be 375 win, 444 marlin, 445 super mag, 454 casull, 460 S&W.
    This will be a cast only rifle--like all my rifles. But I'll experiment with some 150 grain jacketed, just to see if that makes a huge difference. The bore is really dirty -- spider eggs and at least a decade of basement dust, but the rifling looked sharp. I figure if the bore is bad (knock on wood), I'll put it aside for a JES 38-55 rebore--with that short magazine tube, it looks like something Teddy Roosevelt would have carried.

Boolit Bub
    Got it! I put an old 2.5-7.5 Weaver scope on it just to try it out.

Well, it looks like you got casting & reloading to do for something so purdy to be able to christen it on the side of a deer's ribs this season.

For those whom it might concern............

Ballard-type rifling:

Microgroove rifling:

Boolit Bub

Marlin Glenfield Mod. 30

Tnx for the pictures! This mod. 30 is microgrove. I couldn't really tell until until I got the dust and spider eggs out of the bore. It isn't marked on the barrel.

I've had good luck with my 336 that is also microgrove. I use .311 boolits.

I use .310 in both of mine. Hint: the Lee 113 and 150 grain slugs shoot great when dipped in alox. I only recently got a .310 die for my sizer. Prior to that I would dip the boolits in LLA, let dry, install gas checks and run boolits through the Lee sizing die, dip again and let dry. No leading, minimal smoke, and very accurate.