Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Help identify this Dixie mold

Boolit Master

Help identify this Dixie mold

'm picking up this Dixie mold, but am not sure what rifle it was designed for. Years ago Dixie sold many of these scissor molds cut for Civil War era guns. I have a few of them. They still list some, but others were discontinued. My Dixie catalog shows photos of some scissor mold bullets. It looks similar to the Colt Root. 56 cal bullet, item CA0109, but I'm not sure. What do you all. Think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 57mold.JPG   Dixie_edit.JPG  

Boolit Grand Master
    That boolit looks awful pointy to me, but I think I would cast a few and see what they measure then go from there. They might or might not even come close to fitting any of your guns.

If I had a Colt Root in shootable condition, I would have to try it at least one cylinder full.

Robert

It looks like it could be a Ballard boolit. Seeing a cast out of it would help.

Boolit Master

I should get it by the end of the week. I cast a few bullets and post a photo.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW it appears to be designed to be tied to a paper/linen cartridge.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Clicking on the one photo to blow it up - it looks like it was maybe "double stamped". Am I correct to interpret it as a .570? A good cast will tell!

As far as these molds go . . . how well I remember them from the 60's. I have often hear them referred to as "hair curler molds" as I believe that originally, the "uncut" scissors were intended for that - heat and press hair between the jaws to give it curl. At any rate, I give Turner Kirkland all the praise in the world for what he did to help keep muzzleloading alive. For starting out by peddling out of the trunk of his car he built up a company that allowed many, many people to get in to the hobby. When I started shooting BP in the early 60's - his catalogs - which were a lot thinner than they are today - were my dream "wish book". I purchased many things from them from parts to guns and associated accessories.

It will be interesting to see what the cast boolit looks like out of this mold - it is certainly in nice shape. I had a few of them many years ago but sold them off as I could afford better Ideal/Lyman molds that had sprue cutters. I really need to buy one just to hang up where I reload as a reminder of the fun I had as a kid and keep those memories alive!

Boolit Master

Yes it was stamped twice. Originally it was 562. Then the 62 was overstamped with 70 making it 570. On the other arm is just 57, clearly these were hand stamped one at a time. Mr. Kirkland made. Many different molds for odd and unusual old guns. At one point I had 4 or 5 of them, but sold some many years ago. I still have a 45-70 and 50-70 version. I don't have anything to take a 570" bullet, but I picked it up just in case I do. It's not a ringtail mold, the sprue must be cut off by hand.

Boolit Master

I cast a few bullets with it today using 96/3/1. It is. 875" tall, .574" wide on the bands. It has a very short heel that measures. 550" diameter. Maybe someone has a Dixie catalog from 20 or 30 years ago that can identify what it's for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150926_133758_edit.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Looks interesting what ever it is

Pretty sure it's a .56 Cal. Ballard boolit now.
    The shanked base was crucial with these rifles.
    A powder & filler cartridge was loaded into the breech while the muzzle was pointed up, then the boolit was tamped down the bore and seated into the cartridge. These actually proved to be fairly accurate for target shooting
    This boolit could've also been used in the 56-50. A rare bird for a rifle.
    It may also offer .56 Cal. Muzzleloader shooter a hunting boolit when cast from pure lead and an over powder card or two.. ; )

Jeff

Boolit Master

A Ballard - hadn't thought of that. Interesting thought. I'll look for a photo of an original bullet for comparison. Thanks!

Boolit Master

This one is .515"...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3973d-vi.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	150589

Boolit Master

I see a strong family resemblance! But mine is definitely larger. Hmmmm