RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mooses

Boolit Master
    Ah, that's what I like to see. Nice! I have used pure lead and shall again, but I have never stopped a bullet in an elk.

At 1650 fps, you must be shooting bore diameter, and smokeless I imagine.

Very nice.

Boolit Master
    Correct. The bullet diameter is .450" before patching and IMR-3031 is the propellant. Because of your post, I got my B-78 out today and ran some RCBS 45-300FP to make sure it was sighted in. It's been over 2 years since I shot her.....thanks for your post.

Boolit Master
    What is the twist on that barrel? I don't know much about b78s.

JDL.

That is a fine looking hunting bullet. 1650 fps might be a little to fast for that soft bullet to get complete pass through.
    I did not recover a bullet. I think if one would have stood behind the yearling I took (367# dressed hanging weight) it would have passed through the second one also.
    He filled the freezer.
    Kurt

Boolit Master
    Good eating but that is outstanding wood on your rifle !

Boolit Master
    Brent, the advertised twist is 1 in 20" but, I've never measured it.

Lead Pot, I agree. If the velocity had been 1400-1500 FPS, I believe it would have been a complete pass through.... or maybe, a little tin to harden. I've since reduced my bullet weight to 420 grs. with a BHN of 10 and velocity to not over 1500 FPS because a 510 gr. @ 1650 FPS is too much of a good thing out of a 9.5 lb. rifle.
    P.S. Your Sharps is really bringing out the lust factor in me.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, my bullets were moving at 1215 fps, cast of 40:1 and weighed 483 grs. I was surprised that only one passed through.

I like that .44-77 74 Sharps Hartford. I put some oil on the wood because of the misty rains and it brought out the grain in the wood. It looks nice but more important it shoots well.
    We are heading back up to Alaska next year and I think I will be packing the Sharps along with the shot gun I use to keep the critters away if need be. The area we set stakes at is just below the artic circle and Moose are thick in that location and no guides needed in that sector so we may stay longer and take one before heading back down.
    Brent kinda put the spark back in me for one.

Boolit Master
    He put the spark in me also but, I'm afraid Father Time will have the last word! Never been moose hunting but, killed a few elk and will try to make at least one more hunt. You fellers have flung a craving on me for a .44 something fierce!

Nah JDL, age is just a state of mind and a few more pains getting up when sitting on the ground. Besides moving slow and stopping often is good for stalking I turned 75 a couple days after that picture was taken. Sure it's easy to call a truck out with a winch to load the buff up and haul it to the butcher shop something I could not do deep in the bush but I can still carry smaller loads.
    when you say I'm getting to old, then you are old.

Boolit Master
    Hold on a minute Kurt, I didn't say I was too old but, I'm not as strong as I usetobe. Dropped my motorcycle off the kickstand in a parking lot and a lady had to help me get it back up on it's wheels.
    Anyway, to get back on topic, I'm thinking seriously about an elk hunt next year and will take my tried and true B-78 .45-70........unless I find an affordable .44 something or other. BTW, I'm a young squirt at only 68.

Arch your just a young pup. But just wait when you drop wapiti at about 10,000 ft in heavy dead fall you will think your getting old LOL.

Nice Moose and thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12