Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd sizer for different lube options?

Boolit Buddy

2nd sizer for different lube options?

Long story short: I've been using a borrowed sizer for a year and now all of a sudden have two star sizers to my name.

I could sell the second sizer to put toward gun money, but I know I'll not be likely to buy a second one ever again, so if it's likely I'll wish I had it someday I'll just hang on to it now. I haven't had to change lubes out in a sizer yet but it seems like it is something you don't want to have to do often due to the mess and hassle.

Do most guys end up wishing they had a second sizer to keep a different type of lube in, or do most people end up settling on one lube they like the best for just about everything?

Right now I have just been reloading for 9mm and .45 acp but will be getting into 35 rem, 6.5x55 and ruger 45 colt loads within the year. I'm using 50/50 beeswax/alox right now and having some 9mm leading issues (another thread on that though). Temps here are as low as -20 in the winter and occasionaly over 90 for a week or two in the summer if that would affect future lube needs.

Thanks,
    Andy

I used to run two Lyman 450's until I broke the handle on one of them. It was nice. I had one filled with BAC for all my handgun applications and Carnuba Red for the rifles.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned
    I've been strongly considering it myself. I have just been loosing lube for fast stuff for everything & want to do as Waco did.

Boolit Grand Master
    I wish I had a Star for at least one handgun caliber, but I make do with my RCBS Lubamatic filled with FWFL for most rounds loaded with smokeless.

I also have two Lyman 450's; one with a close approximation of Emmerts Lube for BP, and one for if I ever decide I need to use a different smokeless lube. All told I have less than $40.00 invested in both 450's, it is nice to be the only one at an auction that knows what something is (or is worth).

I actually bought one of the 450's thinking I would sell it; but it cost so little and it doesn't eat much so I decided to keep it around for a while.

Robert

umm gee wally umm it would be about sweet to have one sizer set up for every boolit size i do ( and another one for the same size with different lubes even if it's just winter/summer formulas ) but what do i know ? i'm just a loob groove junkie .... lolz
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned
    Attachment 149280Anytime you can have two examples of the same tool you have some built in redundancy. If you have two identical sizers you can run two different lubes; if you break one you can fall back to one and cannibalize the other for spare parts. I would keep both and run both.
    If you're short on bench space you can make a removable section to mount the tool.Attachment 149281

I've had a second luber for a few months now and still can't decide which lube to fill it with. The lube I use fills all my needs, now. Guess for now, I'll just leave it empty to use for sizing the finger lubed boolits that I'm experimenting on different lubes with and just want to try a few.

Boolit Master

I have one 45, two 450s and two Stars. I generally leave a Star set up for .452" 200gr SWC and another for .359" 125gr TC. The Star has a size die that makes change of lube groove placement an involved matter. The 45 and 450s I change around. I rarely use anything but NRA formula lube.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 Lyman 45's. One for harder lube like Carnuba Red and the other for softer lube like BAC, TAC

Boolit Grand Master

I have two RCBS LAM1s. One is full of 2500+ and the other CR. Have a Star filled w/ CR as well. You can never have enough sizers

ditto ..... 3 lyman 45's and one Meepos ...with the third 45 as a spare maybe.
    one 45 for my pistols cals and the other for my rifle cals with the meepos as a push thru for rifle cal.
    Works great with a different lube for the pistols and different lube for rifle.
    have all lubers bolted to a small 8x8 inch aluminum plate so I can simply "clamp" to the bench ..no big deal.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Grand Master

I've got 4 Lyman 450 lubrasizers, all with different lubes in them and a gob of H&I dies from .22 to .45 calibers. I also use LLA and numerous Lee sizers. Additionally I have the old TC tube lubers in 45 & 50 cals. Suppose is could also resort back to pan lubing if I had to.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy

Well thanks for all of the thoughts everyone. Looks like I would probably regret it if I got rid of it so I'll hang on to it.

A Lyman 45 and two RCBS in different sizes and lubes. They are all mounted in dock rocker base plates so no extra bench is required. If another was to wander my way it would be added to the herd.

Boolit Master
    Depends what your needs are. I only cast for 9mm so that would be a no for me.

I run two RCBS sizers one has Alox in it and the other has my home made BP lube in it.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    4-450's
    1-Lam 1
    1-Star

Maybe a little overboard, each one has a different lube. I find um around here for 2-30 bucks a ugly, gummy gooey mess. Half hour under the haogen lamp and everything has dripped off. If they are not complete, have lot of wear, or rust I don't buy them. I'm as bad as seagiant.

started with a #45 but heating it in kansas winters proved problematic even with no heat required stick lubes. got my hands on a #4500 with heater. i still use the #45 with the soft lube for my slower pistol calibers and the #4500 with jakes scarlet formy fast rifle calibers.
    long made short i'd keep both sizers

Boolit Grand Master

I have an RCBS set up for rifle boolits and a Lyman set up for pistol and BP. To me that's all I currently need.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I run 4, 3 45's and 1 450. I don't change sizer dies anymore when loading for developed loads. One is for my BP 50-70 using SPG the others using BR and the last of my NRA formula Alox 50/50 sticks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast