Thread: .22 competitive target shooting choice

Boolit Buddy

.22 competitive target shooting choice

OK, so I've joined a local club,
    shooting my trapdoor and falling block, 45-70,
    and they shoot
    .22's against other local clubs,
    bad thing is,
    i gave my .22 springfield model 15 to my daughter,3 weeks ago,and a tack driver, (i know dumb move) that my dad gave me,
    so im .22 short of competing LOL

Im looking at getting a Remington Model 511 from my dads friend, he wants 300.00 for it, and its scoped,
    i think maybe i can sizzle him down to 250 or 275,
    were these good target shooters?
    whats the good,bad and ugly?

Is this worth getting for competing? or should i take my 300.00 and buy something newer,

thanks
    john

What kind of a "competitive target shooting"?

("competitive .22 target rifle" sounds like this.. not exactly a 300 dollar rifle.)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    What kind of a "competitive target shooting"?

("competitive .22 target rifle" sounds like this.. not exactly a 300 dollar rifle.)
    now thats way out of my price range, never gonna happen,
    Its small town shooting, winner goes home with the beef, 3rd place goes home with some beans,
    I've got 3-400 to spend as my main focus is my 45-70's
    just wondering if the 511 was a good shooting rifle, or a melon, and if it can hold its own with a modern Ruger, CV or marlin, ect,
    as I've read some of the older 22's hold there own,

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a used BSA Martini action 22 target rifle last year for about $350 it came with peep sights and a Lyman 17A front and shoots better than I can hold, say 1 1/2" from a rest at 100 yards. check out Simson's or such I think that would put you in the money except for rapid fire matches.

I can't help you with the Remington, I'm pretty sure I have not even seen one.. ever.

But, if you need a nice inexpensive bolt action .22 take a look at CZ. I would buy the American-version.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSA Martini International.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	148965

This is my BSA Martini International .22.

This particular rifle was built between 1950 and 1953 and is an absolute tack driver with the right ammunition, (it doesn't like H/V)

They still hold their own against modern target rifles for a fraction of the cost.

Their build quality is second to none.

ukrifleman.

Boolit Master

Mossberg made a fine target model years ago I sold my target rifle a few years ago,you need to search for quality ammo even a run of the mill 22 will out shoot target rifle with the right ammo and a bit of practice.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

Need to know more info as to whats allowed rules and or specifics to be more precise with an answer. Look at the cmp website they have had Kimber 82 target models win 52s, rem 40, H&R, amnd mossberg target 22 rifles at times very reasonably priced and normally good shooters. These are heavy barreled target rifles from the military. Something to consider and look into.

Boolit Buddy

As others have stated, it depends on what kind of competition it is (rules, etc.). However, I had a 511 that my grandfather left me. It was a great shooter for what it is, an inexpensive target rifle. I shot it until I literally wore the trigger out. I have since passed it along to my son (with repaired trigger). I recently acquired another 511 which shoots almost as good. Love the rifle, but would not be competitive in our local matches with it, a much more expensive rifle would be needed for that.

All this probably does not help you much, but the 511 is a great rifle for the money, but it is not going to compete with the high-dollar rimfires you are likely to come up against.
    Old and in the way.

Boolit Bub
    I used to own several Remington 22's of that family 510,511, and 513T. They don't have a good enough trigger for a target rifle. None of them shot nearly as well as the cz 452's I replaced them with, not that there a target rifle either. The only one I have left is my grandfathers 510.

Boolit Master
    I need to know what kind of competition it exactly is, prone, three position, bench, or standing.
    This is the rifle I use for prone with both scope and iron sights.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2439.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	148991

Boolit Master

The Remington 511 is a great field rifle. But it was never meant to be a competition rifle. Over on rimfire central the goal for the Remington (510,511 or 512) is 1/2" at 50 yards. Scopes are difficult to mount on receivers that were not grooved.
    The CZ 452 with a little work seems to be around a 1/4" at 50 yards. I bought a used CZ 452 with a cheap 3-9X scope for $375.00.
    Another rifle you may consider is the Savage 93. They can be had with HB and accu-trigger for $300.00. The CZ and Savage have better triggers and easier to mount a scope on than the Remington 511.

Boolit Master
    I have a old 513t that does a real good job. now if I want to really do good I break out the Brno number 4 . or if I have to go light I use the Brno number1.

Boolit Buddy
    CZ452 if you can find a good one used. Be sure you are sitting down when you find out what ammo it likes, though.

I have owned a couple of 511s and while they were O.K. they were not what I would want to use for any type of competition - unless it was a 511 only competition.

Boolit Buddy
    bench rest shooting,

thanks guys, lots to think about

Boolit Master
    I shoot a decent amount of rimfire prone at 50 and 100yds. I primarily use an Anschutz or a Remington 37, but have found a couple other lower priced rifles that will suffice for a beginer. Here are a couple in your price range.
    The Savage Mk 2 series of rifles are fairly accurate, a lot of beginers use them until they can afford an anschutz. Buy the version with the laminated stock, the plastic stock is kind of flimsy and will flex.
    I would not recomend the remington 511, thats a squirell rifle. Look for a model 513, 513t or 514. Those were built as entry level target rifles.
    Also winchester 69a or model 75's.
    A used cz is also a good rifle.
    Of course if you come across the deal of the century on a used Anschutz, BSA Martini, Rem 40x, 37, or Win 52
    However you will find that the key to rimfire accuracy is good quality standard velocity ammo that shoots well in your gun, so you have to test lots of brands and types. More expensive is not always better for your gun. Concentrate on Wolf (its suprisingly accurate) Eley, Lapua, and RWS.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    For benchrest shooting get a heavy barrel and make sure your scope has parallax adjustment for focus, I would recommend a air gun scope as the cheapest way to go.

Banned
    I'd have to say it depends on the rules and the particular Remington 511 you're considering.
    A lot of those older Remington 500 series rifles had very good barrels but more have likely been worn out by cleaning rod than bullets.
    I'll also say that if it's within your price range, the CZ is a lot of rifle for the money.

Boolit Master
    For benchrest, club-level 22 rimfire shooting, the CZ to have is the heavy-barrel "varmint" model. With a good bedding job and an inexpensive trigger kit(eg a 'Brookies kit') will get you in the door.

There's a lot to learn that only good coaching and lots of Quality practice can teach you. Practicing poor technique can be worse than none at all. You need to learn how the rifle :likes" to be shot--rest, shoulder pressure or the lack of it, on and on.

Start with quality ammo your gun likes--most of the CZ I have seen do pretty good with Wolf match target and SK standard plus (same stuff made in the same factory).

Honest 1/2" groups at 50 yards will put you at least in the middle of the pack--most guys who claim 1/2"@50 are kidding themselves. I sometimes think what they're really seeing is, Looks like 1/2" from 50 yds.

Good luck have fun stay safe.

PS-lotsa info here:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...play.php?f=320
    Last edited by CHeatermk3; 09-15-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: add link