Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Using RF jackets, is there any common advice concerning bullet balance?

Using RF jackets, is there any common advice concerning bullet balance?

While making .224's out of .22 Long-Rifle RF cases (without trimming) it occurred to me that I could really make just about any weight bullet I like 63grs & below. Just seat a lighter & shorter core. The finished bullet would have the same outward dimensions but a deeper opening in the nose. I'm sure others have tried some experimenting with this, so I was wondering, are there any "rules-of-thumb" or "best practices" on making lighter bullets? Is there a point where the depth of the core upsets the balance of the bullet & causes it to tumble in flight?

I searched the threads first for an answer, but most advice is to use .22 Short cases or trim the cases. Someone mentioned not to go below 50grs. I just finished my first batch or 50grs but I haven't shot them yet. Will a 40 or 45gr bullet in a LR-RF jacket not fly straight? I am assuming they would be safe(?)

TIA...

Boolit Man

For those who want lighter bullets, there seem to be two schools of thought, for the 22 hornet/khornet shorter works better; for most of the others long/longer is ok, but you need to fill the jacket and balance the bullet just behind the ogive. I sometimes stack airsoft bbs' to the midpoint, add a lead pellet then finish with more airsoft bbs'. Watch the velocity though, or real world physics will give you a grey puff about 20 feet out from the muzzle. As always, use this advise with caution, and at your own risk. Dave

For .224 bullets, I use spent small rifle or pistol primers as spacers in the bullet, mostly at the base. Have yet to see any of these upset in flight or not make it to the target. Mostly fired from a 16 inch K-Hornet barrel on my Contender and usually below 2000 fps.

Boolit Master
    Corbin used to say the only disadvantages with cases used as jackets were a limit on velocity, excessive expansion for anything but small non-fur varmints, and the slight imbalance caused by the firing-pin impression. Some rifles make a much bigger dent than others, and these are probably best avoided. It might also be a good idea to find a piece of drill rod which is a close fit inside the case, and give a light tap or two with a light hammer to reduce the dent, then passing back through the die to restore roundness.

I agree, .22 short jackets are by far the easiest way of making light bullets. But how often can you come by large numbers of .22 Short jackets these days?

Boolit Buddy
    I've thought about making a core seat with a pin in the center to hollow point the core.

This combined with a longer pin in the point form would create a hollow point that hollow points the lead also.

Depending on the pin diameter, you could take up some space in the case and decrease the weight of the bullet, but still have lead all the way to the front of the bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnomrbillk View Post
    I've thought about making a core seat with a pin in the center to hollow point the core.

This combined with a longer pin in the point form would create a hollow point that hollow points the lead also.

Depending on the pin diameter, you could take up some space in the case and decrease the weight of the bullet, but still have lead all the way to the front of the bullet.
    I have some 45 swage dies that does the same thing in the point forming step. Works fairly well but sometimes the bullets stick on the hollow point portion

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    While making .224's out of .22 Long-Rifle RF cases (without trimming) it occurred to me that I could really make just about any weight bullet I like 63grs & below. Just seat a lighter & shorter core. The finished bullet would have the same outward dimensions but a deeper opening in the nose. I'm sure others have tried some experimenting with this, so I was wondering, are there any "rules-of-thumb" or "best practices" on making lighter bullets? Is there a point where the depth of the core upsets the balance of the bullet & causes it to tumble in flight?

I searched the threads first for an answer, but most advice is to use .22 Short cases or trim the cases. Someone mentioned not to go below 50grs. I just finished my first batch or 50grs but I haven't shot them yet. Will a 40 or 45gr bullet in a LR-RF jacket not fly straight? I am assuming they would be safe(?)

TIA...
    You more than likely are not going to find that information here no matter how you search it. I think you should look into Column Theory that Berger has researched. I would also read through the following to give you some sort of starter basis. Good luck and I think you will come to a conclusion real quick. http://www.eabco.com/Berger_Bullets_Quick_Reference.pdf
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor