RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Shortening ogive

Shortening ogive

How would I go about shortening the ogive on the CH4D 101 series 40 cal dies? Im not super crazy about the current profile of the die. I tried adjusting the hollow point pin down, and it dkes give me sort of the results I'm wanting. But the pins shoulders get lodged inside the jacket when compressing. To be clear, I'm using 9mm cases for jackets and have been using the shoulder on the hollow point pin to compress the jacket when swaging.

So would I be good to go by turning a new one piece, instead of the two piece CH4D supplies, hollow point pin with a slightly larger shoulder near the tip? If my thoughts on this are all wrong, school me!

Frosted Boolits

Yikes. I would think a custom $$$ carbide reamer to cut the hardened steel....or have it ground to here you basically ream or grind more bearing suface. It would be hard to polish that newly cut or ground part of the die without affecting the part of the die that is already at the correct diameter.

As far as making a larger shoulder on the HP punch, will it still fit in the die? I am not well versed on these dies. Maybe a picture of thr die and punches may lend a few suggestions??
    Last edited by IllinoisCoyoteHunter; 09-14-2015 at 11:52 AM.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

My thoughts were to open the hole at the top of the die where the ejection pin goes thru. This way the new, wider shoulder at the tip on the hollowpoint can pass thru. Im not worried about where the new shoulder will be touching the inside of the die at the ogive. I dont plan on reverting back to original.

Over the last few hours, I've been talking myself out of it. And into making my own swaging dies with the profle i want for my BSSP press. Problem is that i have never made anything like this. I may get a length of drill rod and attempt to profile it, cut and sharpen a flat then heat treat it to make my first D reamer. Then i guess its time to get some tool steel and attempt to cut and lap a die. What's a preferred steel for diy swage dies? O-1? And how would i go about lapping to final diameter? Turn a brass slug of the same profile and use diamond compound?

Frosted Boolits

Acro laps are nice for the through - hole dies. You are on the right track. O1 works fine for dies.

the BB knows

Good deal. Im going to scrap the idea of playing with the CH4D die. Time to get some O-1 and attempt a die set. Could you point me inthe correct direction for more details on making a swage die?

Frosted Boolits

I am currently in thr process of making dies. Lots of trial and error lol. What lathe are you running?

the BB knows

I have a Jet 9x20 that I got for a very good price from a very nice person that no longer needed it. Came equipped with tons of stuff, including an authentic Aloris tool post/holder. Been turning a bunch of small parts on it since I figured out how to work the thing. Im totally prepared to have multiple failures while making the dies. They will be considered lathe time practic haha

Frosted Boolits

Yep. Sounds like you are on the right track. I think I can make die blanks with my eyes closed LOL. O1 is cheap and practice makes perfect. I have only been at it for a few months. My advice to a brand new beginner is to learn how to grind your own HSS tools. Don't rely on indexable tools from the get go.

the BB knows

Boolit Man
    If you just want to change the ogive, I would go to a moldmaker and have him erode the wanted ogive, and then polish and lap it to the right finish

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    Yep. Sounds like you are on the right track. I think I can make die blanks with my eyes closed LOL. O1 is cheap and practice makes perfect. I have only been at it for a few months. My advice to a brand new beginner is to learn how to grind your own HSS tools. Don't rely on indexable tools from the get go.
    I have been reading up, and watching videos about grinding my own from HSS. It seems like the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mactool View Post
    If you just want to change the ogive, I would go to a moldmaker and have him erode the wanted ogive, and then polish and lap it to the right finish
    I was wanting to do this "on the cheap", i.e by spending no money. But I have changed my mind and will be attempting to make my own dies with the profile I want. I will be leaving the country for a week this weekend for vacation, so I wont start the dies until I get back to the states.

In fact, this thread can be deleted if a mod wants to do so since I changed my mind. You know, to save server space and what not.

Frosted Boolits

when you get your dies made be sure to post a few pics.

the BB knows