MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dents in my Primers ???

Boolit Buddy

Dents in my Primers ???

Hey guys, I had some trouble with my Dillon 550B loading small pistol Primers. Apparently the were not seating deep enough, so I followed Dillons instructions and reseated the shell carrier tightened the bolt down and then backed it off a bit. So now it seats them deep enough but leaves these little half moon dents in the primers. I'm a bit concerned, if this gets worse, then bang!! I called Dillon and they said No worries, you just have tight primer pockets. I'm using once fired Winchester brass, and Winchester small pistol primers. I didn't have this problem when loading .45 ACP or .45 Colt. Any ideas???

Jack...........
    Last edited by WildmanJack; 06-06-2009 at 07:35 PM.
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Mold
    I've been loading with a Dillon 550b off and on for about 25 years and this is normal. You will probably find a little piece of shaved off primer cup, sort of half moon shaped, lying on top of the primer seating ram that is causing the indentation. Push the ram down without a shell in it and remove the primer and you can clean the top of the ram but it will do it again. I've just learned to live with it as it causes no problem and I've never had a primer go off in the press.

BTW nice pictures.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    You just got a lot of brass with smaller holes than normal, and a lot of primers with bigger diameter than normal. Just an odds thing. Get another lot of brass, or another lot of primers, or both, and then you could be in a lot worse shape. Match up brass and primers so you can to get an "average" fit. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    Well, one way to resolve that tight primer hole problem, get primer pocket reamer and finger twist them open a tad.

Or get one of those RCBS military brass case swagers, they come in large & small primer sizes. Has a die body and primer hole button that fits on the shell holder of your press, just pull the handle until the primer hole gets swaged open.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I had a couple of hundred factory Winchester rounds in .38 spl. and figured if I used Winchesterprimers I wouldn't have a problem. I think I'll check out that primer ram for a bit of waste before I go and start hand reaming all those shells..

It's totally amazing that I can come to this forum, post a question and within a few minutes get a number of great suggestions to solve my problem or fix something I hummed up. You guys are the best, Thanks a million. !!!!!
    Jack
    Here's to ya!
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

You got junk on your primer ram that is all. Wipe it off with a cloth and you will be good to go. Happens. Worth wiping off the ram before each loading session. I forget now and then and end up with 100 rds with primers like your pictures portray. Ugly but no harm done.

Tale Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Trash is the bad guy here! If your load lead boolits you got shavings to wipe up. I have had round dimples from powder flakes as well as the half moons you got. each hundred rounds or so , when I feed primers, I push down as if I'm priming a case and blow or wipe off the ram.

Banned

i just keep a little brush by the press and every once in a while i push handle and brush junk away

Boolit Buddy
    This whole dented primer thing really scares the hell out of me!!!! I have some " antique " 45 acp ball brass that has a recessed primer hole, making it almost imposible to get a primer started. Took my Lyman inside deburing tool to it , two turns, just barely fit, and viola , no more problem.
    Hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I hate to poo-poo Dillon but I have experienced this as well with any press mounted priming system I've tried- from RCBS Rockchucker's primer arm to Lee's ram prime, on my Lee Pro 1000, and yes on a Dillon 550 (not mine, running stuff through a buddy's press). So Dillon is in good (read that bad) company here.

OTOH I've never had this issue when seating with Lee's hand tool. Which is a pain when I want to load progressively, but my S&B cases ALL have tight primer pockets- so they all get FL sized in a single stage press, hand primed, then run progressively for flare, powder dump, and bullet seat. Could be an option.

Jonk nothing to do with Dillon just keep the primer ram clean and no dents. Glad to hear your Lee hand primer works just to slow for serous production of pistol ammunition.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master

I have, on occasion, had a particular lot of "tight primer pockets". Of course, the crimped in military primers certainly qualify as "tight".

The solution is to simply swage the primer pockets ONE TIME and the problem is forever over. There are a number of swaging methods. I use the RCBS swaging buttons (both small and large primer size) in my Rock Chucker. There is no reason to put up with this. The Lyman primer pocket reamer works also. There are also other brands of "primer pocket uniformers" that will work fine, also. Just DO IT, and forever smile or DON'T DO IT and forever FROWN.

Different lots and brands of primers may also be tighter or looser. Historically, OEM primers tend to be looser and aftermarket primers tend to be a couple of thousandths tighter. The only reloading press that gave me REAL fits with tight primers was the STAR reloading press. It was a real pain to clear a primer jam (you had to partially dismantle the press and it took twenty minutes or so - now, that'll really cut into your production time). The solution for the STAR was to get special primers from CCI (labeled OEM primers) that were only sold to commercial loaders. That totally solved the problem.

I always keep an eye on my Dillon 550B primer punch to make certain that it stays clean.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    Dale, your right about the Star. I had one about a hundred years ago when I shot on the Sheriff's Pistol team. They supplied the powder, swaged bullets, and primers (CCI). One day I tried some other type of primer and what a fit I had. I bet I tore that press apart 50 times before I finally realized it was the primers not me. So I went back to the CCI's and never had another problem. I guess I best buy a primer pocet swager..

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Bub

junk

In my time reloading I have finally forged forward into the electronics world with it. The best thing I have found is a can of compressed air intended to clean my computer. I keep a can at each reloader and use it to clean my primer ram and the occasional spilled powder and debris that lands in the shell plate. Works great and with the tube it can be directed anywhere it needs to blow. Don't forget to cover the casing full of powder first.

I've seen stuff like that on a Lee press. After missing a primer in one round, powder falls through the flash hole & ends up sitting on the top of the primer ram. The next round embeds the flake of powder in the ram so it stays there. You then get dented primers until you stop & clean off the top of the primer ram. Just like some of the others here have said, check the top of your ram.

Boolit Mold
    Now that I've had time to read other replies and think through my first post, I have concluded that the only way to save you from the constant agravation of cleaning the primer feed is for you to box up that piece of blue junk and send it to me and I will send you a pair of lee hand priming tools in exchange

Boolit Buddy

Agree with most of the above. Keep the Primer ram clean & No Problem. Have 2 Dillon 550B's mounted side by side. Once in awhile for some reason a primer seems to get on edge & can feel something is not right. By then its to late, with out disassembling the shell wheel from the Ram. Nothing will rotate or slide out. So I just lean on the handle & crush the primer till it the case will slide back out. Then slowly punch out the side ways primer with a universal deprimer die. It takes a sharp blow to detonate the primer compound. I know some will say that I live dangerously. Well do this some time, take a primer out to your shop vise[Large] and with what ever you can hold the primer in the jaws till it catches. Then screw that baby as tight as you can, " What" no bang you say??? But on your Muffs & take a hammer an rap the side of the jaw anyplace. "BANG" she goes. Point is made ,I do believe. My 2¢ Russ.

I get them on my 45ACP press, the shoot fine for me. I"m not sure what's the problem or how to prevent it.

My press is Lee1000...

Tim

Boolit Grand Master

mechdriver;
    As a "bystander" to your post I would have to say that you are indeed "All Heart". In fact, you really should button your shirt all the way up or your heart might just jump out

All the best,
    Dale53

Banned

the dirty primer cup rod is the correct answer. Ive even seen a powder cornel jam up the rod so that it would stick up or down. Usually all it takes is to blow it off or wipe it off with your finger. I dont like to swage or cut primer pockets unless its crimped miltary brass and even then the only way to do it is to swadge them. I cant see making my primer pockets bigger. With most heavy loaded ammo its the primer pockets getting loose that eventually means the brass goes to the junk bucket and i cant see speeding up the process. especially when it could just be a brand or a batch of slightly large primers. If its the primer pockets it usually just gives you fits the first loading anyway and after firing the next ones go in fine.