RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Boolit Powder/gain for 3006

Boolit Powder/gain for 3006

I'm getting a little bit of mixed answers with finding a boolit powder.

My bullets are casting at 155 grains and I'm only trying to achieve 2000/2500 for hunting. Maybe 200 yards.

What burn rate should I stay in range at to achieve this? Web searches don't specify cast or jacket.

While in that department (kinda)

Do powder coated bullets follow jacketed charges? I'm using BLL right now but a few prior claim GC and PC follow jacketed loads.
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Buddy
    I'm using 35 gr. of IMR 4895 W/150 gr. Lee mold, the Lee book has a good section on shooting and loading lead.

CC

I found a mind blowing 1 load for my lead bullet weight... what section are you referring to?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I don't powder coat, but prefer conventional lubricant. I use HM2-.312-160-5 at 15 BHN, with 40 grains of 4064, RL15 or Varget in my M1 Garand for 2200-2250 fps. Function is 100% and grouping better than HXP ball ammo from CMP. Works on deer too from my Mauser sporter and Winchester 54. Shoots on at 200 yards with 300 yard sight dope for M2 Ball on Garand.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Mixed answers are probably all right, depending on the rifle. The 30-06 is quite versatile and more than a few powders were designed for it. Depending on the rifle and boolit/bullet weight you will likely find success with Varget, 4064, 4350 and 4895 powders as well as others with similar burn rates. I have rifles that like H4350 or IMR 4350 and have had remarkable success with Varget in another.
    Let your rifle tell you what it likes, I can only tell you what mine like.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Page 151-152 of modern reloading second edition by Richard Lee.

CC

I consider 155gr to be light (imo) but that's what my mold/alloy is dropping

So in your opinion, what powder/burn rate would get that going through a 21"barrel to 2000 fps?

I guess my current confusion is finding a powder burn rate that won't strip the bullet to get it to reach 2000fps. Speed means nothing if it misses lol

And I guess for what it's worth, the gun is a 1952- 760 gamemaster

Boolit Master
    Lakemaster,

You may like to try W760 w/ your lubed CB in the 30/06. The NRA used 53 gr. behind a 160 gr. 301618 PPCB to achieve an accurate load of about 2800 fps. Since W760 is a progressive powder it starts the bullet slower, has a lower peak pressure but a higher average pressure for max. velocity. W760 prevents initial CB yawing and helps keep the CB concentric with the rifle bore till muzzle exit. Keep cutting the PPCB charge back from 53 gr. till you get decent groups with your lubed CB.

Best regards,

CJR

Quote Originally Posted by CJR View Post
    Lakemaster,

You may like to try W760 w/ your lubed CB in the 30/06. The NRA used 53 gr. behind a 160 gr. 301618 PPCB to achieve an accurate load of about 2800 fps. Since W760 is a progressive powder it starts the bullet slower, has a lower peak pressure but a higher average pressure for max. velocity. W760 prevents initial CB yawing and helps keep the CB concentric with the rifle bore till muzzle exit. Keep cutting the PPCB charge back from 53 gr. till you get decent groups with your lubed CB.

Best regards,

CJR
    Use prudent reloading practices and start at the minimum starting load for W760/H414, then carefuly work up to an accurate load safely.

Boolit Master
    Yodo,

Thanks for "re-calibrating" me in starting low and working up in charge weight.

Best regards,

CJR

i know the starting points are the most important.

i have been amazed how there are basically NO LEAD LOADS in my lee 2nd addition but it gives me a starting point and end point... maybe they have so few loads for a reason

Boolit Buddy
    I love the Lee manual---probably my favorite loading manual overall. But it's useless for cast bullets.
    Do yourself a favor and get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook; it has all the loads!
    You could get to 2,000 fps with a small amount of Unique (around 19-20 grains) or a somewhat larger charge of 4198; it's all in there (though, admittedly, they have loads for a Lee 150 gr and Lyman 160 gr, not specifically a 155 gr.)

Common sense would tell me to go with 150 data for my loads.

Or atleast that's what I've been told what to do from several here

Boolit Master
    I believe Lee does not develop any data. All their data is barrowed. Some of it is even calculated from like volume cartridges and it says so right in their manual.

LAKEMASTER: The proper way of doing it when your specific bullet weight is not listed is to use the data for the next heavier bullet. So you would use 160gr data. But this rule was developed for j-word bullets. With a cast 155gr you would be safe to start at either 150gr or 160gr start loads.

Motor
    Last edited by Motor; 09-17-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Quick answer: use varget if you have it, that will get the velocity you are seeking within safe pressures.

Dont push the pressure envelope within any given load recipe, and the 30-06 is pretty flexible. If something shows 40,000 psi with a 150 jacketed and you try it with your 155 lead, you're prob ok. If it shows 40,000 with a 165 lead and you try it with your 155 lead, yo're pron ok. There is fudge room if you are comparing multiple sources and data overlaps. Just be damn sure that you have done your homework and found multiple published sources for the original loads you are basing your extrapolation from.

Hodgon, alliant, western, all have very thorough load data available for free online