Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Let's talk leatherman tools

Boolit Master

Let's talk leatherman tools

Not a thread about leatherman vs gerber vs ?
    What's your favorite leatherman and why.
    I have an original tool,
    1 original wave,
    2 new model waves
    1 super tool 300
    And this evening a new rebar.
    I prefer the outboard tools of the waves because you can open the blades with one hand and the cutting edges face away from the centerline of the tool.
    The super tool is nice but heavy and the handles are not rounded and hurt your palm when really squeezing, the blade locks are ergonomically terrible on the super tool also.
    New waves are nice but heavy and I prefer the older file styles of the original model.
    The rebar has some nice features like replaceable cutters, hollow ground improved 420 ss blades and a much needed 3d long reach Phillips head screwdriver. I am going to miss the scissors though.
    I never wear a belt so weight and size is important because I carry in my front pocket.
    What are your favorites?
    Lab
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm all about the original PST. Carry one every day. Even have a few spares, just in case.

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    Currently the Charge Alx, I had the Charge XTi, but unfortunately lost it. I consider the changeable screwdriver bits with the extra allen and torx bits indispensable. Handles are perfect, no pinching or rough spots, outboard knives, with me they really hit a winner here. The only complaint is the needle nose pliers. Why oh why do they insist on putting that infernal, stupid cap crimper right in the middle of the part of the pliers used the most? It is utterly useless for crimping anything that needs any amount of force (ie, electrical connectors) and totally ruins the pliers.

I have a Leatherman and a Mora Knife in every set of wheels we own.
    I carry a new wave in my briefcase
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

I carry an original pst all the time. I pocket carry it. Ive found it to be just right, considering i also carry a pocket knife that does most of the cutting chores.

I have carried a leatherman mini tool quite a bit. It wasnt quite enough but was handy.

I carried an original wave for a few years. I liked it, and it was handy. But it was a touch heavy, and after a while of using the knife, the handles started to get misaligned.

I had a super tool 300 and it was okay, but i didnt care for the lock mechanisms.

The only one i still have is the original.

I've always been partial to the PST/PST-II tool, I had one of the original PST-II transitional models (marked as a PST but with
    PST-2 features) but I've grown to love the Wave's lock-blade feature...

I also have three Micra models, someone was selling them at the flea market for $5, so I now have one in each of my jackets...

sdcitizen? Why did you buy the tool with the blasting cap crimper if you don't work with explosives?

Quote Originally Posted by sdcitizen View Post
    Currently the Charge Alx, I had the Charge XTi, but unfortunately lost it. I consider the changeable screwdriver bits with the extra allen and torx bits indispensable. Handles are perfect, no pinching or rough spots, outboard knives, with me they really hit a winner here. The only complaint is the needle nose pliers. Why oh why do they insist on putting that infernal, stupid cap crimper right in the middle of the part of the pliers used the most? It is utterly useless for crimping anything that needs any amount of force (ie, electrical connectors) and totally ruins the pliers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jakharath View Post
    I'm all about the original PST. Carry one every day. Even have a few spares, just in case.
    Same here. I've carried bigger tools at times but eventually I ditched everything but old school: PSTs, a PST2, a Pulse (in my hunting backpack) and a SOG Paratool. Thinner, lighter, and do everything I need.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    If you want to pimp leathermans out a company in Texas makes Damascus blades and scales for some of the models, very pricey though.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Moderator Emeritus

I have a mini in my pocket almost all the time and a kick on my belt. When Costco has them around Christmas for $25 for the combo Kick and mini I buy one or two. I hunt with the original wave and like it but like the kick I have broken the screwdriver blade on three now and should send them in. I never cared much for the original or the super both were finger pinchers. I always found the kick to be a good tool for what I use them for but never a really great one. My wave has gutted three elk and a moose without any need for another blade including splitting the brisket.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I don't leave my house without certain things like my wallet, phone, keys, 1911 and a Wave on my belt. The number of times a day that I use the tool on the farm to fix something makes it so that I would not be effective at my job if I did not carry it. Over the years I have been gifted a number of Leathermans and also other brands but for some reason I prefer the Wave for carry.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    I don't leave my house without certain things like my wallet, phone, keys, 1911 and a Wave on my belt. The number of times a day that I use the tool on the farm to fix something makes it so that I would not be effective at my job if I did not carry it. Over the years I have been gifted a number of Leathermans and also other brands but for some reason I prefer the Wave for carry.
    You summed up what I was going to post to the letter! Wallet, 1911, 2 mags and Leatherman Wave. Wave on the left hip was SOP in my unit and now farming hunting woods loafing I can't imagine not having one handy.

I still have and use an older, original leatherman. It isn't too big to be obtrusive in my pocket. Mine is pre-locking blades (which I don't like), at least 20 years old. It is pretty worn out but still does most all I could expect it to do.

I've had a couple newer Gerbers that I used while at work, but they are just too big to carry in my pocket when it isn't for work.

Moderator Emeritus

I carried a Gerber during the years (1990s) when I was a City Police Reserve Officer. We couldn't carry a knife while in uniform, but could carry a multi-tool,,,mine was a blackened stainless with a quick "slide out" needle nose. It was a really nice piece of kit. I don't even know where it is now?

fastforward a decade or so...
    Last year, the company I work for, gave all the employees a leatherman rebar, engraved with company logo and customized to the job each employee did ...all of us in the electrical department received one with wire cutter and wire stripper, but I rarely carry it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance

I have tried many brands but always quickly come back to Leatherman. I use it multiple times every day as an electrician.

Boolit Master
    I still carry and often use my original Leatherman tool. I have for many years now, since the late 1980's - early 90's.

It looks like it's called the Leatherman PST (Pocket Survival Tool) now I guess.

Frankly I'm pleased that they still make the original model, as I have had a few close calls almost losing mine, and have begun to worry about being able to replace it with another similar one.

I use it pretty much daily for something or other on the farm, and friends who don't carry a multi-tool often ask to borrow mine because they know I will have it on my person.

If I could make just one change in it though, there have been times when scissors would be convenient to have along, but I've always managed to make do with the blade.

I like the original Leatherman foot print too much to go to something larger with more attachments, and frankly I'm just to old and set in my ways to upgrade to a larger/newer (different) tool at this point.

- Bullwolf