Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: .376 Steyr Scout

Boolit Man

.376 Steyr Scout

I was wondering what groove diameters .376 Steyr owners have found in their Scouts and Pro Hunters. I want to work up some cast boolit loads using commercially available cast boolits. I am looking for loads around 1500-2000 fps, something approximating 38-55 performance. Any personal experience with this cartridge?

Boolit Master

To my great embarrassment, I've not done nearly enough with cast in the .376. Too many other urgent projects, I guess. My one experience was with some commercial cast labeled "for 38-55" which I believe were supposed to be sized .379". I don't recall what powder I used, but the results were dismal. Terrible accuracy and gobs of lead left in the barrel. I know my Scout can do better than that, as it turns in fine groups at 100 yards with 260 gr Nosler Partitions. I have a couple of 230-250 grain moulds and a .375" sizer waiting for me to finally do some serious experimenting.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 09-14-2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: speling

Boolit Man
    Does anyone have any thoughts about suitable powders and loads for a 270 grain cast boolit? I am thinking a boolit sized to .377 with a gas check.

Boolit Man
    Since I can find no other cast boolit load information, I think I will proceed with the following loads as starting points.

The "Load" of 13 grains of Red Dot
    The "Universal Load" of 16 grains of 2400
    27 to 30 grains of 4895
    22 to 25 grains of 4198
    26 grains of Reloader 7

These are of course from the C. E. Harris article, Cast Bullet Loads for Military Rifles. Since the .376 Steyr case capacity is a little bigger than a 30-06, I will go up on charge weight carefully from there.

Boolit Master

I'm planning on using cast data for 35 Whelan and 350 Rem Mag for my jumping off point.

Boolit Master
    This seems to be an interesting cartridge. Has any shooting taken place that might be reported? Inquiring minds want to know.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    This seems to be an interesting cartridge. Has any shooting taken place that might be reported? Inquiring minds want to know.
    I've carried mine a bit, but haven't fired it at game. It is a nifty cartridge, with capacity about mid-way between an '06 and a standard magnum. Downside is it is based on an uncommon (in the U.S.) case, 9.3 x 64 Brenneke, and has an odd size rim, about .500". Shooting jacketed in a Steyr Scout gives me ridiculously good accuracy with heavy bullets, just in case I ever need to shoot a jackrabbit at 100 yards with a 300 gr FMJ. I was hoping Ruger would adopt it in their M77 rifles, but they went with their own .375 cartridge with uncommon brass instead.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 10-30-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I recently picked up a 20" barrel Steyr Pro Hunter in 376 Steyr.. it is a fun round other than mine has the hard butt pad and off sand bags it is not to.... desired lol...

I am trying to find a lighter load for deer in the brush I have no cast stuff yet but have a few (hundreds) of the speer 235gr hot core... I have used the 220gr .358 in my 350 Rem Mag with very good results using Reloader 7... has any one on here used Reloader 7 in the 376 Steyr ??