RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who uses shotgun powder for 30-06/bottle neck rounds?

I like my ramshot competition a lot, but aint gonna get 2000 fps on a dare

About 7-9 grains is a super mellow shooting load that gets just above supersonic with most boolits, and is damn near free compared to the rifle powder needed for full loads. Recovered boolits show pretty clean bases and no barrel leading. With 200 grain boolots i use a gas check but the 150-170 dont seem to need it. Tumble lube works fine for that velocity.

Faster loads should probably not use fast shotgun powders for best results, i like the 1300 fps cutoff stated above

Boolit Master

13 grains of red dot is the Harris standard. Worked sweet in every gun I tried.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Just my 2 cents: No need to go any slower than 2400 if you are looking for accuracy and Unique, Red Dot will do accuracy very well with cast as long as you are not exceeding 2000 fps and there is no need for faster! If you hunt they will all punch through a deer at 200 Yds..... High FPS is way overrated ( unless you are using jacketed)!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

With the velocity you are shooting for a powder like 4198 or Reloder 7 would work well. When the faster shotgun powders are pushed it is more difficult to maintain good accuracy as pressure increases rapidly.
    You will need to match your alloy to the pressure of the load. Buy the Lee #2 manual as it has a very good section of alloy versus pressure. I used this info to help me get over 3,600 fps in my Contender 223 Rem with the Lee Bator boolit. You will need a gas checked boolit. Powder coating and coating with Hi-Tek will allow you to cheat a little on alloy strength versus a grease lubed boolit.
    H4895 will also work well with the use of about 1 gr of poly-fil as a case filler. This increases pressure some so allow for that when loading with a filler.

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    The kids and I have had great results in our 30.06 with 13 grains of Unique and 13 grains of Red Dot with the 31141, 175 grains of medium-soft alloy, with aluminum gas check.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKEMASTER View Post
    if i wanted to use a powder to push my 155 gr ranchdog bullets to 2000 fps for hunting what would be a great choice? gc bullets with BLL
    40 grains of IMR4064 is about 2200 fps. and cycles an M1 Garand reliably.

36 grs. is about 2000, but may not cycle. Groups shot with ordinary "rack grade" CMP Garand.

Attachment 151678Attachment 151679
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    There is a whole other world out there for those who want to shoot light to medium loads with cast ( Many times more accurate then the "Book Load"!)
    Red Dot or Unique light loads in .30 cal to 35 cal are fun cheap and accurate! You just got to find & decide what you want to do. I for one do not shoot cast with what we can say is "Jacketed" powders.... no need to. If I want to shoot fast ...& Cast accurately The slowest powder I'm using is 2400!
    unless you do it/ try it yourself you will miss out on a big accuracy factor!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

In Remembrance

I use 35.5 gr Imr 4895 behind the Lee 170 gr gas checked boolit. Very accurate for me and enough power for any deer in the country. YMMV
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    It always amazes me how threads drift from the original OP post: He asked about Shotgun powder in bottle neck cartridges

Boolit Bub
    Red Dot, Green Dot and Tite Group (shotgun powders?) all do well in my '06 with 175-185 gr. Boolits. I seldom exceed 12 grains.

Boolit Master
    I shoot more Unique, Bullseye, Red Dot, Clays, and Universal Clays in bottle necked .30's than anything else. 4759, 2400, etc. quite a bit too, but I like the better "bang for the buck" offered by shotgun powders. Now for hunting loads in .30-30/.303 Savage/.30-06/etc. I reach for 3031.

Finally made it to the range with the Mosin's. 13 grains of Red Dot under a 155 gr gas checked boolit worked great in both of the old guns. Only failings were old bad eyes trying to use iron sights. BLL worked great.

I may just have to figure out a way to put a Red Dot type sight on them.

Both me and my buddy were able to get a few in the bull. Lots of smiles at the range when the old russian girls came out to play. Now I have 2 guns to clean, brass to clean and process, boolits to cast.

Hard to tell at 100 yards how much is old hands and eyes and how much is the Rifle.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Finally made it to the range with the Mosin's. 13 grains of Red Dot under a 155 gr gas checked boolit worked great in both of the old guns. Only failings were old bad eyes trying to use iron sights. BLL worked great.

I may just have to figure out a way to put a Red Dot type sight on them.

Both me and my buddy were able to get a few in the bull. Lots of smiles at the range when the old russian girls came out to play. Now I have 2 guns to clean, brass to clean and process, boolits to cast.

Hard to tell at 100 yards how much is old hands and eyes and how much is the Rifle.

13-14 gr red dot and cast is a great plinking load or short range hunting load. I know. I'll get beat up for the last comment.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry