RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home made liquid case cleaner

Boolit Grand Master
    In addition to the dryer sheet, put a couple small spots of "Nu-Car" auto polish in the media. Comes in an orange plastic bottle. Wal Mart, auto stores, etc. Fantastic.

Boolit Grand Master

That's Nu Finish cleaner/wax, and it does a great job, plus protects the shiny brass from tarnish for a very long time.
    Cheap too.

Boolit Buddy
    With a new dryer sheet my brass comes out real shiney i don't know if its something in the dyer sheet or its the clean media doing a better job. The dryer sheets come out of the tumbler real dirty and the media looks like new. I want to try New Finish car wax i keep forgetting to buy some. I have heard of people putting brasso and chrome polish in tumblers but i always thought they might be to harsh and might affect brass.

Mike 56, you are right about Brasso and Chrome Polish, I believe that they both contain ammonia, which tends to really shines brass, but then causes a chemical reaction to let it tarnish again, whereas Nu Finish does not contain that ingredient, and is just a polish. Works great.

Perma-Banned

I have never tried using vinegar but will have to give it a shot.

Boolit Master

vinegar works very well.

I know that this has nothing to do with boolits, etc; but we have stopped using bleach and replaced it with vinegar, in the washer.

Boolit Master
    I'll have to try the dryer sheet, my media has a lot of dust in it that doesn't want to blow away just by leaving the top off the vibe.
    I just use vinegar, swish it around a bit in a small container, drain it back into the jug, rinse the brass & dry it in the oven. Last time I needed fresh vinegar, we were out of white so I used a little apple cider vinegar. Makes me hungry for pickles when I walk into my shop now. The oven needs to be just over 212F/100C to make sure to vaporize the rinse water but keep from changing the brass' hardness/anneal.
    I once took in some "please make me some ammo" brass from a fellow officer - we were in the middle of a hurricane, the trunk of his car had leaked and filled with rainwater, and the brass was swimming. One of the senior staff was walking by and remarked (sneeringly) that he would never have anything to do with brass that had been wet - I made an enemy that day by lecturing him that every round he had ever fired had been washed/rinsed at the factory, that this submerged brass would be fine after being properly dried. He was the same doofus who ordered, as a "sniper" rifle for the department, a glossy wood-stocked skinny-barrel bright-blued.270 with a TV eyepiece duplex reticle 3X9 scope...fine deer rifle but no way rural counter-sniper.
    Dale - the problem with medium particles remaining in the flash hole is that with some presses, like my 550s, with the primer post under the decapping station, the crumbs can fall onto the primer post which is then slid to pick up a new primer, and then cause dents when the new primer is seated. Yes the pin will push them out, it's where they fall that's troublesome, that's all.

Vinegar works great in the wash, just make sure you do a second rinse if you don't want to go around smelling like a salad! Some 40 Mule Team borax really helps with the kids jeans too! Got grease, give it a squirt of Dawn.

Boolit Master

Friends, go visit Big Lots, if you have one in your vicinity. I found several bottles of Nu-Finish for $3/bottle about 2 months ago.
    Wally World still has it, but costs almost $7/bottle.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trixter View Post
    I know that this has nothing to do with boolits, etc; but we have stopped using bleach and replaced it with vinegar, in the washer.
    ammonia works very good also
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by redbear705 View Post
    I used the water vinegar dawn dish soap for cleaning and boiled the lot for a half hour and it works well , the brass came out sparkling clean! but all polish and oil is removed and the brass will tarnish if no polish is applied to brass after the cleaning process.

I did use the oven to dry the brass after it was cleaned, as I was in a hurry to get the brass dry. Maybe the heat caused the tarnish?

JR
    You had the oven on too high a temperature; tumble the cases immediately afterwards when they are cool to touch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hunterldh View Post
    For years I have been tumbling with corn cob media and I squirt in a little Westley's Concentrate Auto Polish. Works like a champ. I got the tip from a commercial reloader. I stocked up back then so I don't know if the stuff is still available. It was a Blue Coral product. - Hunter
    Looks like True Value has it:

https://www.idealtruevalue.com/store...-Car-Wash.html

Boolit Master
    Some where I think in 2005 on this forum was a discussion about washing in Lemi Shine and hot water. I tried it and have never looked back. That's all I do anymore, no more polishing in media. I want clean cases, medium shine that will grip the chamber walls.

Yes, Lemishine, Dawn and hot water works great in my HF ultrasonic cleaner.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

I checked ebay and found a few different Lemi Shine products. Which is the correct one for cleaning brass?
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

I use the plain lemishine granular in the cylindrical container from Walmart.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDA3E574-BC6D-441D-B4CB-3EEA09666607.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	258597

Quote Originally Posted by hydraulic View Post
    Just make sure the cases are dry before they go into the tumbler. Had the wife out shooting the other day and she had a misfire in her .38. Pulled the bullet and found dried, hardened tumbling media in the bottom of the case. Can't remember when I cleaned that .38 brass, but, then, I can't remember what I had for breakfast, either.
    Well don't forget your anniversary or her birthday or you'll be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Bought the knock-off of Frankfort tumbler some time back. Works fine. Noticed there was a lot of talk about getting clean brass and media OUT of the barrel, not so much about getting dirty brass and pins IN the barrel.

Changed out water softener resin a couple of years ago. Bought the cheap ($12) plastic funnel which really made that job go better, cleaner, faster, then had this weird funnel kicking around. LIGHT BULB - use the funnel to pour my pins and brass into the barrel. Works great and already paid for.

This outfit shows the same funnel - https://www.softenerparts.com/resin_replacement_guide

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funnel_1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	292785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funnel_2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	292786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funnel_3.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	292787
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Retired = every day feels like Saturday EXCEPT Saturday

Boolit Buddy
    I don't own a tumbler. Hot water, a squirt of lemon, a dash of salt and a few drops of Dawn is all I use. Spread the cases on a school lunch tray out in the sun for a day or so then load them up. Either single stage or progressive. I just make sure to leave them in the sun long enough to dry out the spent primers which are still in the cases.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast