WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester tong tool question

In Remembrance

Winchester tong tool question

A while back, I saw a contact for a guy who was making repro de-capping/neck belling spuds for the tong tools. Darned if I can find it now; does anyone know about him? Sure would like to contact him. Thanks.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    I remember he used to sell them on E-Bay. You might check the ARTCA site; they're pretty current on replacement parts for old loading tools.

In Remembrance
    Thanks, will give that a try.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The guy is on E-Bay and he sells them for about $50 IIRC. I have an original and that is what I paid for it. Depends on how bad you want it. Take care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

In Remembrance
    Thanks for the info. Guess I will try making my own before spending that kind of money. I made one for my Winchester 44-40 tool and it works great.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    All you really need is a piece of steel or aluminum rod of a diameter to fit into the shell mouth. Drill a hole in one end and Loc-Tite an RCBS decapping pin into it. Usually shells are plenty large enough to slide a boolit in after firing. You "feel" the flash hole over the decapping pin as you put the shell in the tool anyway; I can't imagine breaking one in a hand tool.

My "universal case mouth belling tool" is a dummy .50 BMG round. It will funnel out a surprising variety of shells.

In Remembrance
    Yeah, depriming is no problem, but I want to bell the neck enough to be able to set a Boolit in place.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Banned

I've seen the cartridge appropriate Lee Case Length Gauge (about $5) used as a substitute de-priming pin in the similar Ideal tools. I'd, beyond just dropping it in as I saw done, add a small copper or brass nut on the threads to protect both tools.

The Ideal tools flare case mouths with the end of the 'die.' Some Lee Loaders come with a small and very portable ($2) Flaring Tool. Two little tools to do the job of one, but very inexpensive and available little tools.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t-2508.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	151444