Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best mold for 7.62x39?

Boolit Master
    I use the Noe 312 129 mold,fire them out of a CZ 527 and Ruger M77 MK II and get decent accuracy at 50 and 100 yards. Bought the mold so I can shoot 7.62x39 without going broke.

Boolit Master
    Doc I agree, the whole purpose of buying a lot of the inexpensive rifles was to be able to use cheap ammo, not because they were great rifles. Now there are better quality firearms available in this caliber, but the ammo is not cheap anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    I use the Noe 312 129 mold,fire them out of a CZ 527 and Ruger M77 MK II and get decent accuracy at 50 and 100 yards. Bought the mold so I can shoot 7.62x39 without going broke.
    CZ527. NOE 312-129 mold. Have a .3015 push through which turns those little spitzers into bore riding bullets and I intend to paper patch them up to .312. Need Unique or 2400 starting loads. Anyone?
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Boolit Master

Dragon,

Not a 7.62x39 reloader, but have played with the NOE/Ranch Dog ".30 Cal Short Neck" .308 Win bullet, which evolved out of the same project the lighter 7.62x39 mold came from. Mike likes the 7.62x39 a lot and really did his homework on the geometry for that, the .308, and the .300 Sav versions. Assuming your gun feeds the big meplat (which hits like a bus, BTW), I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

NOE also has the HTC310-135 and HTC312-137 powder coat designs that are more spitzer-shaped and probably better mate with the feed geometry of certain guns.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Since my origin post was 3 years ago I have had a little time to work on accuracy at distance (100 yards +) with full power rifle loads. One thing I have found is the spitzer designs looks great and is preferred for a jacketed bullet, but for cast bullets it is a poor choice if you want accuracy past 50 yards.

Boolit Grand Master

"One thing I have found is the spitzer designs looks great and is preferred for a jacketed bullet, but for cast bullets it is a poor choice if you want accuracy past 50 yards."

A lesson we have all learned at one time or another......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I also shoot a CZ 527 and while I do like the NOE 129 SP mould I have been shooting a lot of the NOE 150 gr. Ranch Dog bullet in my CZ. Great shooter and has a bit more weight which I prefer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TLC313 150 RF.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	227151

Boolit Bub
    The molds I like for 7.62x39 are 311410 or 311359. These were both for the M1 carbine, but man I can shoot them in either the SKS or the AK. I know it seems that the thinking is heavy slugs but the 311410 casts with wheel weights around 133-4gr. It is a plain based bullet. The other one is a pointed little bullet that uses a gas check and is supposed to be 118gr I think but I seem to get around 120, 121 grains. Between the two, I prefer the 311359. I've got it in a 4 cavity lyman mold that once it is warmed up, just cranks them out. Use that with some 1680, and watch out little bunny rabbits.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    the lee 155 gr works great for me in several different guns .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12